Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Anthony Volpe to start practicing at second base after José Caballero returns to shortstop

Sport

Anthony Volpe to start practicing at second base after José Caballero returns to shortstop
Sport

Sport

Anthony Volpe to start practicing at second base after José Caballero returns to shortstop

2026-05-23 06:15 Last Updated At:06:21

NEW YORK (AP) — Anthony Volpe will start working out at second base for the New York Yankees following José Caballero's recovery from a broken middle finger.

Caballero was activated and started at shortstop in Friday's series opener against AL-best Tampa Bay after spending the minimum 10 days on the injured list. Volpe was on the bench.

“As I’ve told them each, it’s not going to be the perfect scenario every single day. You may like or not like a decision on a given day, but the end of the day we’re all working for the same thing,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “We want to win big, and we want win big for the Yankees. And then it’s my job to try and put you in the best position to be successful and there’ll be some days where that makes sense and is fair or not fair.”

Caballero was hurt diving back to first base on a pickoff attempt by Abner Uribe during the ninth inning of a game at Milwaukee on May 10, even though he was wearing a sliding mitt. Acquired from Tampa Bay last July 31, the 29-year-old Caballero started 39 of the Yankees’ first 41 games at shortstop and hit .249 with four homers, 13 RBIs and 13 stolen bases with a .720 OPS.

Volpe, the starting shortstop from 2021-23, had been optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre following his recovery from shoulder surgery Oct. 14 and then was brought up after Caballero got hurt.

“Both guys are going to play. Cabby’s versatility comes into play now again with Anthony here,” Boone said. “These things have a way of working themselves out. It’s a good situation to be in because we have two players that we feel like can play vital roles in us winning games.”

Volpe started eight games at shortstop while Caballero was on the IL and hit .217 with three RBIs, two stolen bases and seven walks for a .707 OPS.

“Like what I’ve seen. I feel like he’s had a good week of at-bats," Boone said. "I feel he’s played well in the field. Again, it’s a week, but he’s a really talented player that we have high expectations for.”

Volpe's professional experience at second is one game each at Class A Tampa and High-A Hudson Valley in 2021, when he also played three games at third base for Tampa.

“Second base I’m not too worried about,” Boone said. “I probably wouldn’t put him over at third up here. I’d want him to go do that a little bit.”

Volpe also appeared at second base during five spring training games in 2023.

“He may still end up being all at shortstop. On the days he’s playing shortstop, I may move Cabby around,” Boone said. “But I want him to at least get some work over there and see that side of the field, too.”

Caballero also has played second, third and outfield.

New York opened a roster spot by optioning top prospect Spencer Jones to Scranton. Jones debuted on May 8 and hit .167 with no extra-base hits and two RBIs in 27 plate appearances over 10 games. He was brought up after Jasson Domínguez sprained his left shoulder when he crashed into Yankee Stadium’s outfield wall on May 7.

“It was a good experience for Spencer even though he didn’t get a lot of results,” Boone said. “I actually feel like he held his own pretty well.”

Domínguez is hitting off a tee and could be ready for games by the end of next week or early June.

Giancarlo Stanton, sidelined since April 24 by a strained right calf, is to be examined next week and could be given permission to start running.

Trent Grisham was back in the lineup leading off and playing center field after missing one game. He left Wednesday's game because of knee pain and tests showed no structural damage.

New York also activated ace right-hander Gerrit Cole from the 15-day IL following his recovery from elbow ligament replacement surgery. He was to start Friday in his first big league appearance that counted since the 2024 World Series.

Right-hander Yovanny Cruz was optioned to the RailRiders on Thursday night after making his first two big league appearances.

AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/mlb

New York Yankees shortstop Anthony Volpe, right, throws to first base after forcing Toronto Blue Jays Brandon Valenzuela (59) out at second base on a double play, during the ninth inning of a baseball game, Thursday, May 21, 2026. in New York. (AP Photo/Eduardo Munoz Alvarez)

New York Yankees shortstop Anthony Volpe, right, throws to first base after forcing Toronto Blue Jays Brandon Valenzuela (59) out at second base on a double play, during the ninth inning of a baseball game, Thursday, May 21, 2026. in New York. (AP Photo/Eduardo Munoz Alvarez)

New York Yankees' José Caballero, left, is caught by Baltimore Orioles second baseman Blaze Alexander, right, while trying to steal second base during the ninth inning of a baseball game, Monday, May 11, 2026, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

New York Yankees' José Caballero, left, is caught by Baltimore Orioles second baseman Blaze Alexander, right, while trying to steal second base during the ninth inning of a baseball game, Monday, May 11, 2026, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

New York Yankees' José Caballero, left, is caught by Baltimore Orioles second baseman Blaze Alexander, right, while trying to steal second base during the ninth inning of a baseball game, Monday, May 11, 2026, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

New York Yankees' José Caballero, left, is caught by Baltimore Orioles second baseman Blaze Alexander, right, while trying to steal second base during the ninth inning of a baseball game, Monday, May 11, 2026, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

TORONTO (AP) — Prime Minister Mark Carney said Friday he’s determined to build a better Canada after the leader of the country’s oil-rich province of Alberta announced a public vote on whether to move toward independence.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith said Thursday a vote would be held Oct. 19 on whether Alberta should stay in Canada or take legal steps under the Constitution to hold a binding referendum on leaving. That fell short of the wishes of activists who have been seeking an immediate referendum on separating from Canada.

Carney, in his first remarks since Smith’s announcement, said Albertans have made huge contributions to Canada.

“Canada is the greatest country in the world, but it can be better and we are working on making it better. We’re working with Alberta on making it better,” Carney said while touring the Parliament buildings which are under renovation.

Carney noted his government is working on getting a new oil pipeline built from Alberta to Canada’s Pacific coast. Many Albertans have long complained that Ottawa hasn’t done enough to get Alberta’s vast oil reserves to Asian markets.

Smith reiterated Friday that she supports Alberta remaining in Canada. Some have compared her stance to the one of Britain’s then-Prime Minister David Cameron ahead of the Brexit referendum, which he embraced as a way to manage a vocal faction of his ruling party while not wanting the U.K. to leave the European Union.

“I believe Canada is working better everyday and that it can work even better in the future,” Smith said.

“I have seen enough from the directional change that we have with the new prime minister who is prepared to work with us. He is prepared to give Albertans hope again.”

A “yes” vote in a referendum would not trigger independence. Negotiations with the federal government would have to take place.

Ian Brodie, a former chief of staff to ex-Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper and now a political science professor at the University of Calgary, said Smith appears to be proceeding very carefully.

“A vote to see if people even want a vote. It’s a good way to let the swing voters swing against separation,” Brodie said.

Jeff Rath, the lawyer for Stay Free Alberta, the group that collected signatures to try to force a separation referendum, called the move an insult to those seeking independence. Cam Davies, leader of the pro-independence Republican Party of Alberta, agreed and called Smith’s referendum question “spineless.”

Smith said separatists who are upset that a binding vote on quitting Canada has been put off should focus on the fall referendum rather than campaigning to force a review of her job.

Smith said calling a binding referendum this fall just isn’t feasible. Last week, a judge threw out the Stay Free Alberta petition, and Smith promised an appeal.

“With the recent court ruling there is no legal way to hold a binding separation referendum,” Smith said. “It would have been struck down in a matter of weeks.”

Daniel Béland, a political science professor at McGill University in Montreal, said a possible future referendum is likely to lose as support for separation is slightly less than 30%, but he said campaigns do matter.

Béland noted Smith’s party didn’t run on or mention a referendum in the last provincial election campaign.

Candace Laing, president and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, criticized Smith’s decision, saying businesses across Canada, including in Alberta, need predictability to invest, particularly when there is an ongoing trade war with the United States.

“Prolonged uncertainty around constitutional or political separation brings real risks for investor confidence, economic growth, and Canada’s global competitiveness at exactly the wrong time,” Laing said in a statement.

Prime Minister Mark Carney makes a statement in the Library of Parliament in Centre Block on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, on Friday, May 22, 2026. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press via AP)

Prime Minister Mark Carney makes a statement in the Library of Parliament in Centre Block on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, on Friday, May 22, 2026. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press via AP)

Prime Minister Mark Carney makes a statement in the Library of Parliament in Centre Block on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, on Friday, May 22, 2026. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press via AP)

Prime Minister Mark Carney makes a statement in the Library of Parliament in Centre Block on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, on Friday, May 22, 2026. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press via AP)

Recommended Articles