Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Americans exposed to hantavirus on ship enjoy some Nebraska hospitality while waiting in quarantine

News

Americans exposed to hantavirus on ship enjoy some Nebraska hospitality while waiting in quarantine
News

News

Americans exposed to hantavirus on ship enjoy some Nebraska hospitality while waiting in quarantine

2026-05-23 06:18 Last Updated At:06:41

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — The 18 American passengers who were exposed to hantavirus on the MV Hondius cruise ship are getting a taste of Nebraska hospitality as they wait to find out how much longer they will have to remain in quarantine at the hospital in Omaha.

Elsewhere, a 12th illness linked to the ship was confirmed Friday in the Netherlands as health officials continue to monitor hundreds of people who were potentially exposed.

The doctor who runs the National Quarantine Unit where the American passengers are being monitored said at a news conference Friday that none of them are showing any symptoms at this point, but Dr. Michael Wadman referred questions to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention about whether these 18 people will have to remain at the specialized facility at the University of Nebraska Medical Center for the full 42-day quarantine period.

The CDC didn't respond Friday to questions about the plan for these passengers staying in what resemble hotel rooms, complete with their own workout machines and a small refrigerator. The rooms are equipped with specialized negative-pressure ventilation and waste sterilization systems to keep germs from escaping.

Hantavirus usually spreads from rodent droppings and is not easily transmitted between people. But the Andes virus detected in the cruise ship outbreak may be able to spread between people in rare cases. Symptoms usually show between one and eight weeks after exposure. Health officials recommended the long quarantine because of the incubation period for the virus.

Wadman said that once the passengers realized how long they were going to be staying in quarantine, they started ordering things they needed because health officials let them bring only a small plastic sack of belongings with them when they left the MV Hondius. They had to leave their luggage behind, so a steady stream of boxes started arriving at the quarantine unit after the passengers began arriving in Omaha on May 11.

In between the symptom checks twice a day, the staff at the nation's only dedicated quarantine unit are doing their best to help the passengers pass the time with special meals featuring local food trucks and distinctive Nebraska delicacies like Runzas along with lessons on the sandhill cranes migration that brings millions of the majestic birds to the state every spring and other subjects.

The rooms also have high-speed internet connections to help the passengers connect virtually with family and friends. Jake Rosmarin said it can be lonely at times being so far away from his fiance back in Boston, but the days have mostly been flying by as he calls family and friends and makes videos for his Facebook and Instagram pages where he normally posts travel videos. Rosmarin tries to think positive and not dwell on the fact that he still faces almost another month in quarantine.

“Why am I going to harp on those negative aspects? The time’s just gonna go by slow if I kind of harp on the negatives,” he said.

Rosmarin said he really appreciates everything the nurses and doctors from the medical center and adjoining Nebraska Medicine hospital, who volunteer to work at the quarantine unit, have done for him and the other passengers, beginning with the deliveries of his favorite Starbucks iced horchata with oat milk and vanilla cold foam.

“They’ve just been amazing. Truly. Truly, truly, truly. I think they’ve gone above and beyond with making sure that we’re comfortable here,” said Rosmarin, who ordered himself a new mattress pad and pillows along with a set of Mixtiles photos of himself and his fiance to hang on the wall to help make the room homier.

Rosmarin and a few other passengers unexpectedly got a chance to leave their rooms for a few minutes Sunday evening when Omaha was under a tornado warning, but they all wore masks and kept their distance while the medical staff had on full protective suits.

The hospital is planning to give the passengers a taste of Runza on Tuesday and a meal from Omaha Steaks on Thursday of next week. Rosmarin said he ordered a barbecue bacon Runza, which is a mix of meat, seasonings and sauce baked inside bread. The fast food chain that's known for the sandwiches is almost exclusively in the state, but elsewhere in the country the same meal might be called a bierock.

Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen, who owns a massive hog farm, said at Friday’s news conference that he’s hoping to arrange a pork tenderloin dinner as well, if he can be sure the hospital chefs will cook it correctly.

Wadman said the passengers who remain in Omaha have all been cooperative despite the fact that the CDC issued a formal order earlier this week to prevent two of them from leaving the quarantine unit.

“I think there's many that would really like to be home,” Wadman said, but it's not yet clear that the CDC will allow that before the 42 days are up. Each case will be evaluated individually.

Twelve people worldwide who were aboard the MV Hondius have fallen ill, including one of the crew members that was just confirmed Friday in the Netherlands. Three people from the cruise died, including a Dutch couple that health officials believe were the first exposed to the virus while visiting South America. No deaths have been reported since May 2, according to World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

“We continue to urge affected countries to monitor all passengers and crew carefully for the remainder of the quarantine period. More than 600 contacts continue to be followed in 30 countries, and a small number of high risk contacts are still being located,” he said.

University of Nebraska President Jeffrey Gold said the new cases will definitely be considered as public health officials decide how long the passengers have to quarantine, but the CDC is calling the shots on that period.

“Any case, any symptoms, any positive test anywhere gives us more information about the biology of this viral illness. And it as any good scientific approach would be, it influences our decision making,” Gold said.

American passengers from the cruise ship, MV Hondius that was stricken with hantavirus, arrived in Omaha, Nebraska after flying from Tenerife, Spain on Monday, May 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Nick Ingram)

American passengers from the cruise ship, MV Hondius that was stricken with hantavirus, arrived in Omaha, Nebraska after flying from Tenerife, Spain on Monday, May 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Nick Ingram)

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — NASCAR driver Kyle Busch experienced shortness of breath, felt he was overheating and was coughing up blood the day before his death, according to a 911 call obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

Busch died Thursday at age 41. No cause of death has been given, though his family said earlier he had been hospitalized with a “severe illness” three days before he was to compete in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Busch was testing in the Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord on Wednesday when he became unresponsive and was transported to a hospital in Charlotte, several people familiar with the situation told the AP.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because details have not been disclosed by Busch’s team or family.

During the emergency call placed late that afternoon from the General Motors training facility, an unidentified caller calmly told the dispatch: “I’ve got an individual that’s (got) shortness of breath, very hot, thinks he’s going to pass out, and is producing a little bit of blood, coughing up some blood.”

Busch was lying on the bathroom floor inside the complex and the caller told dispatch “he is awake,” according to audio provided by the Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office.

The man then gave directions on where emergency responders should go and asked that they turn off any sirens upon arrival.

NASCAR CEO Steve O'Donnell addressed reporters at a news conference Friday but declined to answer any questions about the cause of death or any health problems that might have plagued Busch.

“We are 24 hours from getting a phone call and out of respect for the family, and they have asked for privacy, I am not going to address anything,” O'Donnell said. “But transparency is something that we all believe in. So in due time I think that everyone will be comfortable with where things stand.”

O'Donnnell talked at length about Busch's legacy, his rebellious nature and even his feuds with NASCAR, while calling him “an American badass.”

“We certainly had our battles but I would give a lot of money to have a few more battles,” O'Donnell said.

He joked about the time Busch pretended to be seriously hurt when NASCAR had ordered him to go to the infield care center after hitting the wall at Texas.

“He laid flat out on a pit cart, made fun of us,” O'Donnell said. “I was mad at the time, but I look back and that was damn funny — and that was Kyle.”

O'Donnell mentioned NASCAR might consider adding Busch to this year's list of Hall of Fame Class of 2027 inductees, which was determined earlier this week with Kevin Harvick, Jeff Burton and Larry Phillips being voted in.

The news of Busch's death sent shock waves across the motorsports world on one of racing's biggest weekends, which also features the Indianapolis 500.

The NHL's Carolina Hurricanes honored Busch with a moment of silence before Thursday night's Eastern Conference Finals game against the Montreal Canadiens.

Vice President JD Vance took to social media, saying “I had the opportunity to meet Kyle, one of NASCAR’s greatest racers, on the campaign trail in 2024. Usha and I are praying for him and his family. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.”

Richard Childress Racing announced plans to suspend use of Busch's No. 8 Cup Series car until his 11-year-old son, Brexton, is old enough to begin NASCAR racing.

Gloomy, gray skies hung over the track on an unseasonably cool day in Concord, which seemed a fitting background for the in memoriam photo of Busch on the videoboard.

Christopher Bell was among the drivers planning to run in the NASCAR Trucks Series race on Friday night, one that Busch had been scheduled to compete in. Busch won last week's Trucks race at Dover — the final win of his career — giving him 234 victories across NASCAR's three national series, the most of any driver.

“It's going to be very strange to be out there without Kyle in the field,” Bell said. “It's going to take a long time before things feel back to normal.”

Bell called Busch's death a “gut-wrenching feeling.”

He said he spoke to Busch before the last Trucks Series race and said he seemed “normal, like completely normal.”

On Monday, Busch posted a birthday message to Brexton on Instagram, saying, “Your mom & I are so proud who you’re turning out to be!”

The father and son spent Tuesday night in Durham, North Carolina, with the Andretti family at the opening of a go-kart facility.

“I guess it is a very stark reminder of how fragile life can be,” Bell said.

O’Donnell said NASCAR never seriously considered canceling the Coca-Cola 600.

“Kyle Busch would probably be pretty (upset) if we didn’t race,” O’Donnell said. “So we’re going to honor his memory and make sure people know what he was all about.”

AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing

FILE - Kyle Busch, left, and his son greet fans before a NASCAR Cup Series auto race at Talladega Superspeedway, April 23, 2023, in Talladega, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill, File)

FILE - Kyle Busch, left, and his son greet fans before a NASCAR Cup Series auto race at Talladega Superspeedway, April 23, 2023, in Talladega, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill, File)

NASCAR CEO Steve O' Donnell speaks during a press conference about the passing of driver Kyle Busch, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Matt Kelley)

NASCAR CEO Steve O' Donnell speaks during a press conference about the passing of driver Kyle Busch, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Matt Kelley)

FILE - Kyle Busch is introduced during the NASCAR All-Star auto race at Dover Motor Speedway, Sunday, May 17, 2026, in Dover, Del. (AP Photo/Derik Hamilton, File, File)

FILE - Kyle Busch is introduced during the NASCAR All-Star auto race at Dover Motor Speedway, Sunday, May 17, 2026, in Dover, Del. (AP Photo/Derik Hamilton, File, File)

The number '8' is displayed at the top of the scoring tower inside Charlotte Motor Speedway in honor of the late driver Kyle Busch, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Matt Kelley)

The number '8' is displayed at the top of the scoring tower inside Charlotte Motor Speedway in honor of the late driver Kyle Busch, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Matt Kelley)

An in memoriam photo of former driver Kyle Busch is displayed on the video board of the backstretch at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Matt Kelley)

An in memoriam photo of former driver Kyle Busch is displayed on the video board of the backstretch at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Matt Kelley)

A flag is raised in honor of the late driver Kyle Busch outside of Charlotte Motor Speedway, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Matt Kelley)

A flag is raised in honor of the late driver Kyle Busch outside of Charlotte Motor Speedway, Friday, May 22, 2026, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Matt Kelley)

Recommended Articles