Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Xi urges all-out rescue efforts after coal mine accident in north China

China

China

China

Xi urges all-out rescue efforts after coal mine accident in north China

2026-05-23 13:54 Last Updated At:16:07

Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday urged all-out rescue efforts and treatment of the injured, after a coal mine gas explosion in north China's Shanxi Province.

Xi, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, called for proper handling of the aftermath of the accident and demanded a thorough investigation into its cause, with accountability pursued in accordance with the law.

The gas explosion occurred underground on Friday at Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan County, resulting in heavy casualties.

Xi stressed that authorities across the country must draw lessons from the accident, remain vigilant on workplace safety, and intensify efforts to identify and eliminate potential risks in order to prevent major accidents.

With the country entering its flood season, Xi also called for strengthened emergency preparedness, as well as solid flood control and disaster relief measures to safeguard lives and property.

The gas explosion occurred at 19:29 on Friday, with 247 workers on duty underground. The death toll from the accident rose to 90 as of 14:00 on Saturday.

Local authorities are providing on-site directions on response efforts, which are still underway, while the cause of the accident is under investigation.

The rescued workers have been transferred to hospitals for treatment. The Qinyuan County People's Hospital, the closest health center to the coal mine, has received 23 of the injured, of which only one is seriously injured. Other rescued workers have been sent to different hospitals in the nearby Changzhi City according to the severity of their injuries.

The rescue headquarters noted on Saturday that a person responsible for the company involved in the gas explosion has been placed under control in accordance with the law.

Xi urges all-out rescue efforts after coal mine accident in north China

Xi urges all-out rescue efforts after coal mine accident in north China

The European Union (EU) Council on Friday announced its decision to expand the legal framework for sanctions against Iran, incorporating actions that threaten freedom of navigation in the Middle East as a new ground for restrictive measures.

In a statement released the same day, the EU Council said the revision builds upon existing EU restrictive measures against Iran.

Under the updated framework, the EU can impose sanctions on individuals and entities that participate in or support Iranian actions and policies deemed to threaten maritime security in the region.

The measures include travel bans, asset freezes, and a ban on EU citizens and companies supplying funds, financial assets, or economic resources to those listed.

Iran has so far not responded to the matter.

Earlier on Saturday, Iran's newly established Persian Gulf Strait Authority, the body now responsible for managing the Strait of Hormuz, reaffirmed Iran's scope of management and supervision over the Strait of Hormuz in a social media post, insisting that vessels must coordinate with and receive approval from Iranian authorities for passage.

The Navy of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) said on Thursday that 31 vessels, including oil tankers, container ships and commercial vessels, had crossed the Strait of Hormuz within the past 24 hours in coordination with and under the protection of its forces, according to a statement published in the IRGC's official news outlet Sepah News.

EU warns of broader sanctions on Iran over navigation threats in Middle East

EU warns of broader sanctions on Iran over navigation threats in Middle East

Recommended Articles