Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Colts add depth at wide receiving by signing Keenan Allen to a 1-year deal, AP source says

Sport

Colts add depth at wide receiving by signing Keenan Allen to a 1-year deal, AP source says
Sport

Sport

Colts add depth at wide receiving by signing Keenan Allen to a 1-year deal, AP source says

2026-08-19 02:46 Last Updated At:02:50

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Keenan Allen is getting another chance to extend his NFL career.

The Indianapolis Colts added depth to their receiving corps by signing the 34-year-old receiver to a one-year contract worth up to $8.32 million, a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Tuesday. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because team officials had not announced the deal.

Allen is a six-time Pro Bowler who caught at least 100 passes in a season five times, won the NFL's 2017 Comeback Player of the Year Award and is the San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers' career leader with 985 receptions in 12 seasons with the team.

He also worked with Colts coach Shane Steichen for seven seasons when they were with the Chargers. Steichen was the offensive quality control coach from 2014-15, quarterbacks coach from 2016-19, interim offensive coordinator in 2019 and then had the interim tag dropped in 2020.

Allen's addition could ease some of the concerns about depth in a receiving group that has not had Alec Pierce on the practice field since he signed a four-year, $114 million contract extension in March. He had surgery on his injured left ankle after signing the deal.

General manager Chris Ballard said he expected Pierce to be out a week or two when training camp opened July 29. Pierce has started to do more individual work at camp.

The Colts took Monday off and had no availability Tuesday. They will spend their final two camp days at Grand Park Sports Campus in the Indianapolis suburbs working against the Atlanta Falcons in joint practices Wednesday and Thursday. It's unclear if Pierce will be on the field for those workouts.

“He's doing good, he's working hard,” assistant general manager Ed Dodds said before Sunday's practice. “I'm not concerned about Alec.”

Pierce became one of quarterback Daniel Jones' favorite targets last season when he led all NFL qualifiers in yards per catch (21.3) for the second straight year. He had 47 receptions and 1,003 yards, both career bests, while following a seven-touchdown season in 2024 with six in 2025. He became the Colts' No. 1 receiver when they traded Michael Pittman Jr. to Pittsburgh.

Josh Downs is expected to be the No. 2 option for Jones. The 5-foot-9, 171-pound receiver has been productive out of the slot in his first three seasons, catching 198 passes for 2,140 yards and 11 TDs. He posted career lows last year with 58 catches and 566 yards.

Allen could be the No. 3 pass catcher after an 81-catch, 777-yard season in 2025, when he returned to the Chargers after one season with the Chicago Bears. The former California star also caught four TD passes last year.

Though he missed all but one half of one game in the 2016 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament, Allen ranks 13th in league history in career receptions (1,055 receptions), 33rd all-time in career yards (12,051) and 52nd in career TD catches (70). He begins this season needing 16 catches to pass Colts receivers coach Reggie Wayne.

Indy also signed veteran Nick Westbrook-Ikhine, an Indianapolis prep star who played at Indiana University, in free agency and has veterans Ashton Dulin, Anthony Gould and Laquon Treadwell on the roster. Treadwell was Minnesota's first-round pick in 2016.

See AP’s full NFL coverage here

FILE - Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen (13) catches the ball before an NFL football game against the Las Vegas Raiders, Nov. 30, 2025, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Kyusung Gong, File)

FILE - Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen (13) catches the ball before an NFL football game against the Las Vegas Raiders, Nov. 30, 2025, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Kyusung Gong, File)

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Some members of Tupac Shakur's family stepped out of the courtroom Tuesday before prosecutors showed photos from his autopsy at the Las Vegas trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis, who is charged with orchestrating the 1996 drive-by shooting that killed the rap giant.

Others remained in the courtroom to face the grim facts of what happened to his body.

Dr. Lisa Gavin, a forensic pathologist and medical examiner for Clark County, Nevada, was among the early witnesses on the second day of testimony. Jurors were shown a photo of a green body bag at the beginning of her questioning, followed by a grisly photo of his body. Some relatives who remained in the courtroom looked away. One woman got up to leave once the photos were shown.

Shakur’s cousin Zayd Akinyela said he wanted to stay in court to learn more.

“I feel like the details, especially for people that are close to him, honestly for me helps, helps the grief process. I think we’ve been waiting 30 years to grieve properly,” Akinyela told The Associated Press outside the courtroom. “A lot of people don’t get to grieve until they understand what happened to their loved one and how it happened. He added, “That’s why I wanted to stay and just see for my own personal closure.”

Akinyela said he hadn't known how many times his cousin was shot. Gavin described three bullets, one of which traveled through Shakur's chest, including through a lung. That caused his lung to collapse and bleed, and doctors ultimately removed the damaged lung in an effort to save his life, she said.

Additional bullets damaged his intestines and other parts of his body, she said.

Jurors looked intently at the photos of Shakur’s body, which was bloated and had multiple chest wounds. The nearly full courtroom was quiet. One photo showed his tattoos and the chest tubes that were still in his body from the six days he spent in the hospital before dying.

The images were not shown in the video feed from the trial.

Gavin was not at Shakur’s autopsy but was called as an expert witness because the examiner from 30 years ago has since died.

As Gavin explained the photos, Davis sat still, looking at the screen in front of him. He occasionally whispered in his attorney’s ear.

Family members who had stepped out returned for the testimony of subsequent witnesses.

Akinyela said the photos made him feel “Very angry, very angry, to say the least, very sad.”

But he said, “I’m very spiritual, so just seeing the body doesn’t affect me the same way as it might some people. I do believe that his spirit is still around and still lives on through his family and through his legacy.”

Prosecutors allege Shakur was killed to avenge Shakur’s entourage attacking Davis’ nephew Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson a few hours earlier at the MGM Grand after a Mike Tyson fight.

On Tuesday, jurors were shown the casino's surveillance video of the clash. The camera, which panned back and forth in the MGM Grand, showed a group of people beating and kicking someone on the ground.

The video showed Shakur and his entourage moving quickly through the crowded building in the minutes after. At times, the other men had to jog to keep up with the rapper.

The surveillance footage then showed security and police arriving at the scene and talking to Anderson, who was wearing a number 13 Dan Marino Miami Dolphins jersey.

A few hours later, Shakur, riding in a black BMW with hip-hop mogul Marion “Suge” Knight, was gunned down by shots fired from a white Cadillac that had Davis, Anderson and two other men inside. Davis is not charged with pulling the trigger.

Davis, 63, could get life in prison if he's convicted of murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty. His lawyer in the defense opening called the prosecution's narrative “fiction.”

Lawyer Michael Sanft told jurors Davis wasn't previously charged, despite implicating himself in interviews and his memoir, because law enforcement knew that he was “full of crap.”

Shakur remains a cultural icon and is considered one of the most influential and versatile rappers of all time. He died as his popularity was peaking at age 25, and his legend has only grown in the years since.

His rap rival, the Notorious B.I.G., was killed six months later in a shooting that has always been paired with Shakur's in the public memory.

That shooting has already been discussed at this trial and likely will be again. A former Los Angeles police detective testified that Davis was briefly a suspect in the shooting of the rapper born Christopher Wallace, but was ruled out. The court day began Tuesday with a recording of Davis talking to detectives about the Wallace shooting.

Associated Press Writer Rebecca Boone contributed from Boise, Idaho.

Michael Ingram, investigator for MGM Resorts, points to a map of the MGM Grand casino as he testifies during the murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/John Locher, Pool)

Michael Ingram, investigator for MGM Resorts, points to a map of the MGM Grand casino as he testifies during the murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/John Locher, Pool)

Duane "Keffe D" Davis in court for his murder trial related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/John Locher, Pool)

Duane "Keffe D" Davis in court for his murder trial related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/John Locher, Pool)

Clark District Court Judge Carli Kierny, center, speaks with defense attorney Michael Sanft, left, and Chief Deputy District Attorney Marc DiGiacomo during the murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/John Locher, Pool)

Clark District Court Judge Carli Kierny, center, speaks with defense attorney Michael Sanft, left, and Chief Deputy District Attorney Marc DiGiacomo during the murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (AP Photo/John Locher, Pool)

Duane Davis listens as Brent Becker, a retired Las Vegas Metro Police Department homicide detective, testifies by video feed during his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, in Las Vegas. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

Duane Davis listens as Brent Becker, a retired Las Vegas Metro Police Department homicide detective, testifies by video feed during his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, in Las Vegas. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

Michael Sanft, attorney for Duane Davis, left, asks a question to Garry Dale, a former Las Vegas Metro Police Department officer, during the Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas,, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

Michael Sanft, attorney for Duane Davis, left, asks a question to Garry Dale, a former Las Vegas Metro Police Department officer, during the Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas,, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

An illustration is displayed during the Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

An illustration is displayed during the Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

District Court Judge Carli Kierny confers with Michael Sanft, attorney for Duane Davis, left, and Chief Deputy District Attorneys Marc DiGiacomo, center, and Binu Palal, during the Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

District Court Judge Carli Kierny confers with Michael Sanft, attorney for Duane Davis, left, and Chief Deputy District Attorneys Marc DiGiacomo, center, and Binu Palal, during the Duane Davis murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

Duane Davis appears in court during his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

Duane Davis appears in court during his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, at Clark County District Court Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Pool Photo via AP)

Recommended Articles