Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Erasmus sits Kolisi and picks Springboks-All Blacks series to go the distance

Sport

Erasmus sits Kolisi and picks Springboks-All Blacks series to go the distance
Sport

Sport

Erasmus sits Kolisi and picks Springboks-All Blacks series to go the distance

2026-08-21 00:39 Last Updated At:00:51

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Opposing coaches Rassie Erasmus and Dave Rennie understated the importance of winning the first test this weekend for South Africa or New Zealand to ultimately capture their hyped four-match series.

Only once has either team taken a series after losing the first test; the 1937 Springboks under Philip Nel did it in New Zealand by demoralizing the All Blacks' scrum.

The speculation in 2026 is underdog New Zealand's best chances of pinching a test are the first this Saturday at Ellis Park while the Boks supposedly have a veneer of rust, and the fourth test on neutral ground in Baltimore.

But Rennie wouldn't rate his team's chances on Thursday during the team announcements.

“Whoever doesn't win the first test will say it doesn’t matter because there’s three to go,” he said. “Both sides want to start well. Drawing first blood would help.”

With the benefit of being involved when South Africa took down the 2021 British and Irish Lions after dropping the first test, Erasmus was prepared for the series to go the distance.

“How we start is important. You win the first match you have a better chance of winning (the series), because win another one and you can't lose it,” he said.

“We've learned from the Lions series, we’ve learned from World Cup pool matches that are lost early, it’s only going to be determined in game three.”

With that in mind, Erasmus wasn't worried about leaving out inspirational captain Siya Kolisi this weekend. Two hamstring injuries have limited Kolisi to 25 minutes of rugby in the last two months.

“Siya trained well with us this week and we could have selected him,” Erasmus said. Instead, he went with the hot hand, Paul de Villiers, who debuted last month in Kolisi's absence in the No. 6 jersey and was South Africa's find of July.

Loosehead prop Ox Nché returns from a knee injury against England seven weeks ago, and Damian de Allende becomes the 10th man to 100 Springbok test caps. His center partner Jesse Kriel will play his 91st test.

“He's a great team man,” Erasmus said of de Allende. “He will certainly not let the occasion shadow what he has to do on the field.”

New Zealand confirmed starting places for backs Cam Roigard, Will Jordan and Damian McKenzie, who had injury concerns. Roigard, Jordan and captain Ardie Savea will make their first appearances on tour.

Lineups:

South Africa: Damian Willemse, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Grant Williams; Jasper Wiese, Pieter-Steph du Toit (captain), Paul de Villiers, Ruan Nortjé, Eben Etzebeth, Wilco Louw, Malcolm Marx, Ox Nché. Reserves: Jan-Hendrik Wessels, Gerhard Steenekamp, Zachary Porthen, Cobus Wiese, André Esterhuizen, Marco van Staden, Cobus Reinach, Manie Libbok.

New Zealand: Damian McKenzie, Will Jordan, Quinn Tupaea, Jordie Barrett, Josh Moorby, Ruben Love, Cam Roigard; Ardie Savea (captain), Luke Jacobson, Tupou Vaa'i, Fabian Holland, Josh Lord, Tyrel Lomax, Codie Taylor, Ethan de Groot. Reserves: Asafo Aumua, George Bower, Fletcher Newell, Anton Segner, Peter Lakai, Kyle Preston, Anton Lienert-Brown, Leroy Carter.

See AP’s full rugby coverage here

FILE - South Africa's Damian de Allende plays in the Autumn Nations Series rugby union match between Wales and South Africa at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, Nov. 23, 2024. (AP Photo/Rui Vieira, File)

FILE - South Africa's Damian de Allende plays in the Autumn Nations Series rugby union match between Wales and South Africa at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, Nov. 23, 2024. (AP Photo/Rui Vieira, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal agents seized electronic devices from former Rep. Eric Swalwell and searched his Washington home as part of an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct by the ex-Democratic congressman from California, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Swalwell’s devices were seized at the San Francisco airport on Saturday and agents executed a search warrant at his home a day later, said the person, who was not authorized to publicly discuss an ongoing investigation and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

A message seeking comment was left Thursday with an attorney for Swalwell, who has denied allegations of sexual assault and misconduct.

Swalwell announced his resignation from Congress in April following allegations that Swalwell had sexually assaulted a woman twice, including when she worked for him. The San Francisco Chronicle, followed by CNN, first reported the allegations. CNN also reported that three other women alleged various kinds of sexual misconduct by Swalwell, including sending them unsolicited explicit messages or nude photos.

The seven-term lawmaker had been seen as one of the leading candidates in California’s gubernatorial race before dropping out after the allegations surfaced.

The office of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg confirmed in April that it was investigating Swalwell after a former staffer told CNN and the Chronicle that Swalwell raped her at a hotel while he was in New York City for a charity gala in 2024. In a statement, Bragg’s office encouraged “survivors and anyone with knowledge of these allegations to contact our Special Victims Division.”

Swalwell, an Iowa native, was elected in 2012 and represented a House district east of San Francisco. He launched a presidential run in April 2019 but ended it a few months later after failing to catch on with voters.

He was one of Republican President Donald Trump’s top Democratic antagonists in Congress. He was a prominent member of the House Judiciary and Intelligence committees during Trump's first term and served as one of several Democratic prosecutors for Trump’s second impeachment after the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.

Swalwell was removed from the Intelligence Committee by then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., in 2023 based on Swalwell's contact with a suspected Chinese spy, Christine Fang.

Fang was reported to have come into contact with Swalwell’s campaign as he was first running for Congress in 2012 and to have participated in fundraising for his 2014 campaign.

Associated Press reporter Michael R. Sisak in New York contributed to this report.

FILE - Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., questions former Justice Department special counsel Jack Smith, as he testifies before the House Judiciary Committee at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, File)

FILE - Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., questions former Justice Department special counsel Jack Smith, as he testifies before the House Judiciary Committee at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 22, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, File)

FILE - Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., appears at a town hall meeting in Sacramento, Calif., April 7, 2026. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)

FILE - Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., appears at a town hall meeting in Sacramento, Calif., April 7, 2026. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)

FYI - Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., talks with reporters after holding a town hall meeting in Sacramento, Calif., April 7, 2026. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)

FYI - Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., talks with reporters after holding a town hall meeting in Sacramento, Calif., April 7, 2026. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)

Recommended Articles