Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

DeMar DeRozan agrees with Nuggets on 1-year deal for veteran minimum, AP source says

Sport

DeMar DeRozan agrees with Nuggets on 1-year deal for veteran minimum, AP source says
Sport

Sport

DeMar DeRozan agrees with Nuggets on 1-year deal for veteran minimum, AP source says

2026-08-22 07:13 Last Updated At:07:20

DENVER (AP) — DeMar DeRozan has agreed to sign a one-year contract with the Denver Nuggets worth the veteran minimum of $3.9 million, a person with knowledge of the deal said Friday.

It will be DeRozan's fifth team in his 18th season for a six-time All-Star looking for his first championship. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the agreement hasn't been announced.

The addition of DeRozan gives the Nuggets a veteran backcourt presence after sending young, versatile wing Peyton Watson to Cleveland as part of a four-team trade. The 23-year-old Watson started a career-high 40 games last season and averaged career bests in points (14.6), rebounds (4.9) and assists (2.1). He missed the first-round series with a hamstring injury as the Nuggets were eliminated by Minnesota. Aaron Gordon also was hampered by calf tightness in the series.

Bringing in a veteran like DeRozan may go a long way in showing All-NBA center Nikola Jokic the team is committed to staying competitive. Last month, Jokic reiterated his desire to remain with Denver. He held off signing his contract extension until next summer when he can sign a five-year supermax contract that would be worth around $350 million.

The Nuggets won their first NBA title in 2023, but have been eliminated early in the last three postseasons. They signed forward/center Marvin Bagley III this summer and brought back forward Spencer Jones by matching the Oklahoma City Thunder’s offer sheet.

It's a deal that pushed Denver into the second apron. Crossing into that territory makes roster construction increasingly difficult.

DeRozan, the ninth overall pick by Toronto in 2009, spent his first nine seasons with the Raptors, only to get traded to San Antonio for Kawhi Leonard as his former team won the title in Leonard's only season in 2018-19.

The 37-year-old DeRozan spent three seasons with the Spurs and three with Chicago before joining Sacramento the past two seasons. He was part of sign-and-trade deals in the moves to the Bulls and Kings.

DeRozan averaged 18.4 points last season, ending a 12-year run of averaging at least 20 points per game. He has had just two winning seasons since going to the playoffs his last five years with the Raptors. DeRozan made the postseason once with Chicago.

See AP’s full NBA coverage here

FILE - Sacramento Kings guard DeMar DeRozan dribbles downcourt during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Los Angeles Clippers, March 14, 2026, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Jessie Alcheh, File)

FILE - Sacramento Kings guard DeMar DeRozan dribbles downcourt during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Los Angeles Clippers, March 14, 2026, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Jessie Alcheh, File)

WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Athletics shortstop Jacob Wilson was placed on the 10-day injured list Friday because of a dislocated left shoulder.

The A's also announced first baseman Nick Kurtz was moved to the 60-day IL with a strained right thumb. Outfielder Tyler Soderstrom, already out for the season because of a left hip injury, underwent surgery in Vail, Colorado.

Infielder Michael Stefanic and right-hander Kade Morris were called up from Triple-A and right-hander Taylor Rashi was optioned to Las Vegas.

Wilson is on the IL for the third time this season. He has a 115-game streak without committing an error, a major league record for a shortstop. Wilson, an All-Star last year, is hitting .266 with 37 RBIs in 80 games.

Kurtz, the 2025 AL Rookie of the Year, was placed on the 10-day IL on Aug. 4. He was batting .256 with 21 home runs and 69 RBIs in 99 games.

Soderstrom was hitting .245 with 19 homers and 56 RBIs in 109 games.

See AP’s full MLB coverage here

Athletics' Jacob Wilson reacts after being hit by a pitch during an at-bat in the first inning of a baseball game against the Texas Rangers Friday, Aug. 14, 2026, in West Sacramento, Calif. (AP Photo/Sara Nevis)

Athletics' Jacob Wilson reacts after being hit by a pitch during an at-bat in the first inning of a baseball game against the Texas Rangers Friday, Aug. 14, 2026, in West Sacramento, Calif. (AP Photo/Sara Nevis)

Recommended Articles