BUNIA, Congo (AP) — Congo has received more than 16,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine as the country grapples with the fastest Ebola outbreak in history, the country's health minister said.
The 16,250 doses arrived at the N’djili International Airport in the capital, Kinshasa, late Friday, as part of 70,000 doses expected from the World Health Organization and partners that were announced on Thursday. More doses are expected early next week.
The current Ebola outbreak in Congo is caused by the rare Bundibugyo virus, which currently has no approved treatment or vaccine. It can spread easily and go undetected because some of its symptoms are similar to other illnesses, such as malaria. The Ervebo vaccine is licensed to treat Ebola and has been effective in past outbreaks. The WHO said it may provide some protection against the Bundibugyo virus.
The latest outbreak, which has recorded 2,516 deaths out of the 5,290 confirmed cases as at Friday, is spreading at an unprecedented rate and is on track to surpass the deadliest outbreak on record, which killed over 11,000 people across West Africa between 2014 and 2016. Data from the Africa Centre for Disease Control shows that transmission has not yet peaked and could reach three times its known rate.
Efforts to contain the outbreak have been hampered by armed conflict between the government and rebel groups, which control key cities in the hot spot; attacks on medical personnel and facilities; an itinerant labor population and people displaced by the armed conflict; and a lack of critical infrastructure.
Residents and frontline workers embark on Ebola outbreak awareness campaign in Beni, North Kivu province, eastern Congo, Friday, Aug. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Sebastien Kitsa Musayi)
MACKAY, Australia (AP) — Mitchell Starc removed Bangladesh opener Shadman Islam with the first ball of the match and the veteran Australian fast bowler took six wickets in the first innings on a wild first day of the second cricket test Saturday.
Later, Shoriful Islam incredibly matched Starc's total with a six-wicket haul on a day which saw 18 wickets fall.
After Australia won the toss and decided to bowl, with captain Pat Cummins suggesting “the wicket looks pretty good, but if there is any moisture in it, it might be this morning.” Starc proved Cummins correct and Bangladesh was bowled out for 64 runs shortly after lunch.
The wicket, however, continued to be a challenge for batters well beyond the morning.
In reply, Australia was 165-8 at stumps to lead by 101 runs despite Shoriful Islam's 6-35 total. Cameron Green was one of the not-out batsmen on 51 with Nathan Lyon on 10.
Shadman Islam was caught in the gully off a leading edge to give Starc his record fourth career wicket on the first ball of a match. Starc removed Tanzid Hasan and had captain Najmul Hossain Shanto caught lbw in the third over to leave Bangladesh, which surprisingly won the first test of the two-test series, reeling.
Starc got his fourth wicket when Cameron Green made a grass-top catch to remove Mominul Haque for 9, the only Bangladesh batter to score a run among the first four batters Saturday. His fifth wicket came when he had Litton Das trapped lbw and his sixth after lunch.
Starc's figures were 6-12 in 10 overs and Cummins finished with three wickets. The Bangladesh total was the lowest while batting first in Australia since 1932 when South Africa was dismissed for 36.
The highest Bangladesh score was by No. 11 batter Shoriful Islam with 14.
“Six (wickets) in the first session, can't beat that,” Starc told his wife, television commentator and former Australia captain Alyssa Healy while walking off the field at lunch. “Obviously a little bit of anger."
Australia announced a 13-man squad earlier this week, with only one change for the second test. It dropped Jake Weatherald and recalled Matt Renshaw, who opened the batting but was out for 8 early in the Australian innings.
The match began under sunny skies at the Great Barrier Reef Arena in Mackay, a coastal city in Queensland state about 800 kilometers (500 miles) north of the capital Brisbane.
Bangladesh’s first test win in Australia put pressure on national cricket selectors for an overhaul, but the bulk of the aging squad was retained despite being outplayed in Darwin, where the likes of Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Hasan made the most of the tropical conditions.
The two-test “Top End” series starts a heavy 12-month schedule for the Australians that will feature 20 test matches, including tours to South Africa, India and England.
See AP’s full cricket coverage here
Mitchell Starc of Australia appeals unsuccessfully for a wicket during play on day two of the first cricket test against Bangladesh in Darwin, Australia, Friday, Aug.14, 2026, (James Ross/AAPImage via AP)
Travis Head of Australia walks from the field after he was dismissed during play on day three of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Saturday, Aug.15, 2026, (James Ross/AAPImage via AP)
Mehidy Hasan Miraz of Bangladesh celebrates after dismissing Beau Webster of Australia during play on day four of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)
Mehidy Hasan Miraz of Bangladesh takes a selfie with fans after defeating Australia on day four of the first cricket test in Darwin, Australia, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (James Ross/AAP Image via AP)