Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff defends ordering Russell to let Antonelli by

Sport

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff defends ordering Russell to let Antonelli by
Sport

Sport

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff defends ordering Russell to let Antonelli by

2026-08-24 02:18 Last Updated At:02:20

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands (AP) — Mercedes boss Toto Wolff defended the use of team orders in the Formula 1 title fight after George Russell protested when he was asked to give up second place in the Dutch Grand Prix to teammate Kimi Antonelli.

Over team radio, Russell questioned the call to let Antonelli past in the final stages of Sunday's race, suggesting it left him vulnerable to Ferrari's Lewis Hamilton behind with little to gain for the team. Antonelli was on fresher tires but eventual winner Lando Norris was far ahead.

Russell, who held off Hamilton to keep third, relented after the race and said his teammate and title rival Antonelli “deserved to finish ahead."

“Team orders are always harsh from one driver’s perspective,” Mercedes team principal Wolff said, arguing that not swapping positions would have left both drivers a target for Hamilton. “We’re not losing time with each other if there are competitors breathing down our neck. We’ve seen it with the Ferraris at the beginning of the year in Shanghai, you just lose so much race time, you risk losing more points.”

Antonelli had been ahead of Russell earlier in the race before Mercedes brought him in for fresh tires and that was another reason for the switch, Wolff added.

“Today, it wasn’t a very difficult call, because Kimi was running second, clear of George, and that’s basically the order we restored after the stop. So, a completely normal modus operandi, and we would have done it the other way around also,” he said.

Antonelli, who turns 20 on Tuesday, faces another obstacle in his quest to become F1's youngest-ever champion.

He will need to take a hefty grid penalty at his home Italian Grand Prix in two weeks' time as Mercedes plans to swap his car's power unit to head off potential reliability problems in the second half of the season. That will put Antonelli over his allowance of key components for the year.

“Our theory, our calculations say that that’s the best track to take it. Obviously, our algorithms don’t take the nationality into consideration,” Wolff said. “We’re here to fight for a championship and not the most PR, so that’s what we’re going to do.”

Monza is a high speed track where Mercedes' engine is likely to be strong, and overtaking is relatively easy, giving Antonelli a chance to make up places. He's accepted the decision.

“I think it still will give me a chance to do a great result and bring home good points,” he said.

See AP’s full auto racing coverage here

From the left, second-placed Mercedes driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli of Italy, first -placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain and third-placed Mercedes driver George Russell of Britain spray champagne at the podium during the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)

From the left, second-placed Mercedes driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli of Italy, first -placed McLaren driver Lando Norris of Britain and third-placed Mercedes driver George Russell of Britain spray champagne at the podium during the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)

Mercedes driver George Russell of Britain makes a pit stop during the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Patrick Post, Pool)

Mercedes driver George Russell of Britain makes a pit stop during the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Patrick Post, Pool)

Mercedes driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli of Italy waves for the podium after taking the seond place at the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)

Mercedes driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli of Italy waves for the podium after taking the seond place at the Formula One Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort , Netherlands, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Darko Bandic)

A big welcome from the fans at the start. A stoppage-time winner at the end.

For Enzo Maresca, it was the "perfect day" as he earned his first victory as Manchester City manager.

City produced a stirring late rally in Maresca's first Premier League game in charge, scoring twice in the final 10 minutes to grab a 2-1 win at home to Bournemouth on Sunday.

Josko Gvardiol placed a finish into the bottom corner in the first minute of added-on time for the winner, which was initially given offside before being awarded following a video review. Marc Guehi had equalized with a 84th-minute header from a corner to start the comeback.

Maresca, the successor to Pep Guardiola, punched the air when Gvardiol’s goal was awarded and went onto the field after the final whistle to hug his players.

A huge banner, reading “Welcome back Enzo,” had been held aloft by City fans as the Italian — Guardiola’s assistant in City’s treble-winning 2022-23 season — emerged from the tunnel before kickoff

Wearing a sharp black suit, Maresca certainly looked the part on the touchline but the slickness synonymous with City’s play under Guardiola down the years wasn’t quite there until the late comeback sparked by substitute Rayan Cherki, who set up both goals.

“It is the perfect day, to be honest,” Maresca said. "I was very pleased when the game started to see the banner on the other side. And I was pleased because we give them the joy of the three points.

“It was quite emotional and the perfect day.”

Maresca began his time as Guardiola's replacement with a 3-0 loss to Arsenal in the Community Shield last weekend and has had to deal with the departure of star midfielder Rodri to Barcelona.

City might have found a long-term replacement for Rodri in 18-year-old Morocco international Ayyoub Bouaddi, who is set to join from Lille for 100 million euros ($117 million) according to French media, but Maresca opted against Bournemouth to deploy Guehi — a center back — as a holding midfielder instead.

It was a contentious decision given there were other midfield options on the bench, and it might prove to be a one-off, but Guehi grew into the role.

City striker Erling Haaland wasn't on the scoresheet in the first league game of the season for the first time since joining the club in 2022. He sported a new hairstyle — a buzz cut that went viral on social media ahead of kickoff — and wasted a couple of great chances to score with it.

Dominik Szoboszlai converted a penalty in the ninth minute of stoppage time to salvage a 2-2 draw for Liverpool at Newcastle in a match overseen by two new managers.

Before kickoff, the teams united to pay tribute to Kevin Keegan — a star player for both clubs — following his death last month at age 75. Players from Newcastle and Liverpool wore shirts with “Keegan” and the number 7 on the back in the warmup at St. James' Park, while there was a mosaic in the center circle, a tribute video and a huge tifo in the stands dedicated to the former England star.

Szoboszlai smashed an unstoppable spot kick into the top corner after debutant Victor Munoz was fouled in the area in a dramatic finish. There was a 3 1/2-minute wait for a video review of the decision.

“I really hit it good,” the Hungary captain said. “I love the pressure.”

Joe Willock looked to have scored a 57th-minute winner for Newcastle, one minute after coming on as a substitute and two minutes after Cody Gakpo had equalized for Liverpool. Anthony Elanga put Newcastle ahead in the fifth minute.

Liverpool striker Alexander Isak was jeered by Newcastle fans when he came off the team coach and then every time he touched the ball, a hangover from his switch of clubs at the start of last season.

Matthias Jaissle was taking charge of Newcastle for first time, while Andoni Iraola is Liverpool's new manager as Arne Slot's replacement.

Brighton scored four goals in the opening 31 minutes and also missed a slew of great chances in a 4-0 hammering of Aston Villa in the other early game.

To make matters worse for Villa, Joao Gomes was sent off for kicking out at Brighton’s Georginio Rutter in the 40th but the visitors somehow didn’t concede any more goals.

It has been a tough offseason for Villa, with key players Morgan Rogers, Youri Tielemans and Ezri Konsa leaving and speculation surrounding the future of Ollie Watkins and Emi Martinez at the club.

Brighton was sharper, having been in European qualifying action in midweek.

Steve Douglas is at https://twitter.com/sdouglas80

See AP’s full soccer coverage here

A banner featuring English football player and manager Kevin Keegan is displayed during the English Premier League soccer match between Newcastle United and Liverpool in Newcastle, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Ian Hodgson)

A banner featuring English football player and manager Kevin Keegan is displayed during the English Premier League soccer match between Newcastle United and Liverpool in Newcastle, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Ian Hodgson)

Brighton and Hove Albion's Maxim De Cuyper and Georginio Rutter celebrate their side's first goal of the game during the English Premier League soccer match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Aston Villa, in Brighton and Hove, England, Sunday Aug. 23, 2026. (Adam Davy/PA via AP)

Brighton and Hove Albion's Maxim De Cuyper and Georginio Rutter celebrate their side's first goal of the game during the English Premier League soccer match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Aston Villa, in Brighton and Hove, England, Sunday Aug. 23, 2026. (Adam Davy/PA via AP)

Manchester City's Erling Haaland warms up prior to the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Bournemouth in Manchester, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Manchester City's Erling Haaland warms up prior to the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Bournemouth in Manchester, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Manchester City's head coach Enzo Maresca greets fans ahead of the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Bournemouth in Manchester, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Manchester City's head coach Enzo Maresca greets fans ahead of the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Bournemouth in Manchester, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Manchester City fans display a tifo for Manchester City's head coach Enzo Maresca ahead of the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Bournemouth in Manchester, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Manchester City fans display a tifo for Manchester City's head coach Enzo Maresca ahead of the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Bournemouth in Manchester, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Manchester City's Josko Gvardiol (24) celebrates with teammates after scoring his side's second goal during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Bournemouth in Manchester, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Manchester City's Josko Gvardiol (24) celebrates with teammates after scoring his side's second goal during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester City and Bournemouth in Manchester, England, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Recommended Articles