Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Serena Williams and Carlos Alcaraz will start US Open mixed doubles against team from qualifying

Sport

Serena Williams and Carlos Alcaraz will start US Open mixed doubles against team from qualifying
Sport

Sport

Serena Williams and Carlos Alcaraz will start US Open mixed doubles against team from qualifying

2026-08-24 05:41 Last Updated At:06:00

NEW YORK (AP) — Serena Williams and Carlos Alcaraz will have to wait a little longer to learn their first opponent in the U.S. Open mixed doubles championship.

Williams and Alcaraz were drawn Sunday to face one of the teams that advances from the eight-team qualifying tournament that will be played Monday.

Williams will be returning to the U.S. Open for the first time since 2022. The six-time singles champion and Alcaraz, who has won the men's title twice, were awarded a wild card into the 16-team tournament Saturday.

The first round and quarterfinals of the mixed doubles are Tuesday, with the semifinals and final on Wednesday. The winning team shares $1 million.

Facing one of the qualifiers will be a tough assignment, because most of the players in the qualifying tournament are doubles specialists. The qualifying tournament was added this year to give those types of players a chance to compete after they were almost entirely shut out last year when the U.S. Tennis Association, seeking more star power, revamped the mixed doubles and based direct entry on the players' rankings in singles.

Two-time defending women's champion Aryna Sabalenka and 23-time Grand Slam singles champion Novak Djokovic earned the No. 1 seed after having the lowest combined singles ranking among the teams. They will face the pair of Leylah Fernandez and Frances Tiafoe in their first match.

Americans Jessica Pegula and Taylor Fritz are seeded No. 2 and will open against Diana Shnaider and Casper Ruud. Ruud was scheduled to play again with Iga Swiatek, after they reached the final in 2025. But Swiatek withdrew and Schnaider needed a partner after Daniil Medvedev pulled out.

The other first-round matches: Elina Svitolina and Gael Monfils, who are married, vs. Alex Eala and Felix Auger-Aliassime; Belinda Bencic and Flavio Cobolli vs. Taylor Townsend and Alexander Zverev; Karolina Muchova and Jakub Mensik vs. the other team from the qualifying tournament; Emma Navarro and Tommy Paul vs. Amanda Anisimova and Learner Tien; Mirra Andreeva and Andrey Rublev vs. two-time defending champions Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori; and Shnaider and Ruud vs. Pegula and Fritz.

See AP’s full tennis coverage here

Serena Williams, of the United States, reacts to a winning point during a women's doubles match against Marta Kostyuk, of Ukraine, and Peyton Stearns, of the United States, at the Cincinnati Open tennis tournament, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, in Mason, Ohio. (AP Photo/Kareem Elgazzar)

Serena Williams, of the United States, reacts to a winning point during a women's doubles match against Marta Kostyuk, of Ukraine, and Peyton Stearns, of the United States, at the Cincinnati Open tennis tournament, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, in Mason, Ohio. (AP Photo/Kareem Elgazzar)

NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Yankees activated Cody Bellinger from the injured list Sunday after the outfielder missed 25 games with a strained left hamstring.

Bellinger batted fourth and started in left field for his first game since July 25 in Philadelphia. Bellinger went 1 for 4 in New York’s 4-3 win over Toronto, striking out twice with a runner on base before hitting a single off Brendon Little and scoring on Jazz Chisholm Jr.’s two-run homer in the seventh inning.

“I felt all right,” Bellinger said. “I felt I was a little jumpy early on and in that fourth at-bat I was able to settle down a little bit.”

Bellinger returned after suffered a Grade 2 strain while running the bases following a double and the Yankees said he would miss four to six weeks.

“I think he was expanding a little bit early, and then he got into a 3-1 count against a tough lefty to square it up against and smokes the ball up the middle,” manager Aaron Boone said. “So that was good to see. A good way for him to kind of finish in his first game back.”

Bellinger is hitting .259 with 11 homers and 53 RBIs in 103 games this season. He batted .228 in New York’s first month after losing Aaron Judge to a stress fracture in his right rib but is hitting .362 in his last 13 games, though he is on a 32-game homerless streak — the second-longest of his career.

After batting .272 with 29 homers and 98 RBIs last season, Bellinger re-signed with the Yankees last winter for $162.5 million over five years and was the MVP of the All-Star Game on July 14 in Philadelphia.

The Yankees went 14-11 in Bellinger’s absence and are three games behind the Rays in the AL East. New acquisition Heliot Ramos started 15 games in Bellinger’s absence and will likely see time in right field when the Yankees are facing a left-handed starter.

To make room for Bellinger, Max Schuemann was optioned back to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes Barre. Schuemann is hitting .194 in 42 games for the Yankees and was recalled Friday when Ryan McMahon went on the IL with a sprained left thumb.

See AP’s full MLB coverage here

New York Yankees' Cody Bellinger hits a single during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

New York Yankees' Cody Bellinger hits a single during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

Recommended Articles