Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

South Korea's plane crash investigation involves 15 airport, government employees

China

China

China

South Korea's plane crash investigation involves 15 airport, government employees

2025-06-22 17:57 Last Updated At:20:57

Fifteen people have been placed under investigation for suspected professional negligence during a devastating passenger jet crash in Muan County last December, the deadliest plane crash on record in South Korea, the Jeonnam Provincial Police said Saturday.

The police are looking into the severity of liability for negligence to decide whether to arrest the 15 employees from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport as well as Korea Airports Corporation and other companies involved in the construction of localizers at Muan International Airport in South Jeolla - the site of the crash.

The passenger plane carrying 175 passengers and six crew members crashed while attempting to land at the Muan International Airport at around 09:07 local time on Jan 29 last year.

The Jeju Air flight 7C2216 from Bangkok, Thailand, veered off the runway and crashed into the outer wall of the runway, with its fuselage destroyed in half and catching fire.

The authorities confirmed 179 deaths, with only two survivors rescued from the plane crash.

South Korea's plane crash investigation involves 15 airport, government employees

South Korea's plane crash investigation involves 15 airport, government employees

The United Nations Security Council on Wednesday called on all parties to conflict to comply with their obligations under international law to protect civilians.

The call came as the Security Council held its annual day-long open debate on the protection of civilians in armed conflict. At the debate, the Security Council was briefed that while civilians continue to suffer because parties to the conflict choose to ignore their legal obligation to protect them, adhering to the rules of war and enforcing accountability when they are broken can produce a different result.

Edem Wosornu, director of the Crisis Response Division in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said one civilian was killed approximately every 14 minutes in 2025.

"Protecting civilians in armed conflict is not charity. It is the minimum that humanity and civilian civilization require. It is central to peace and security. It is the responsibility of this Council and of every Member State that signed the United Nations Charter, and it is what many people around the world expect the Member States of the United Nations to do. It cannot be outsourced. It cannot be postponed. It cannot be diluted. It is the choice we have to make now," said Wosornu.

The United Nations recorded over 37,000 civilian deaths across 20 armed conflicts last year, compared to the 36,000 civilian deaths recorded across 14 armed conflicts in 2024.

Addressing the debate, Mirjana Spoljaric, president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, said "Wars fought without rules transform wars between combatants into wars against civilians. In recent weeks, I have undertaken several missions to the Middle East, where the impact of conflict on civilians is painfully clear. But brutal patterns of warfare are becoming pervasive across regions from the Middle East to the Horn of Africa, to eastern Europe, and beyond. We can no longer pretend that what we are witnessing across war zones is in accordance with the law."

Fu Cong, China's permanent representative to the United Nations, said at the debate that civilians are the biggest victims of armed conflict, underlining the need to promote the political settlement of hotspot issues and eliminate the threat of violence to security.

It is an obligation that all parties must fulfill in accordance with international humanitarian law, he said, adding that any double standards or selective application are unacceptable.

"The world today is rife with turmoil and escalating conflicts, claiming countless innocent lives and tearing families apart. The secretary-general's report indicates that more than 20 conflicts worldwide this year have resulted in at least 37,000 civilian deaths and displaced over 100 million people. This harsh reality once again warns us that we must act with greater urgency and stronger measures to protect civilians," said Fu.

UN Security Council calls on all parties to conflict to protect civilians

UN Security Council calls on all parties to conflict to protect civilians

Recommended Articles