The entry into force of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreement on Fisheries Subsidies will help promote the sustainable development of the global fishery industry by strengthening the members' capacity to conserve and manage marine resources in the long run, a spokesman for the Chinese Ministry of Commerce said on Thursday.
Adopted at the WTO's 12th Ministerial Conference (MC12) in June 2022, the Agreement, which took effect on Monday, sets binding and multilateral rules to curb harmful fisheries subsidies.
It prohibits subsidies for illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, for fishing overfished stocks, and for fishing on the unregulated high seas.
"Against the backdrop of severe challenges posed by unilateralism to the WTO, this agreement only took over three years to become effective. As a collective action by the vast majority of the WTO members, including China, to firmly uphold the WTO and actively fulfill multilateral commitments, the agreement has significantly boosted the relevance and authority of the TWO and greatly enhanced the international community's confidence in the organization," said the spokesman.
"The implementation of the agreement will contribute to promoting the sustainable development of global fishery industry and enhance the members' capacity for the long-term scientific conservation and sustainable development of fishery resources," the spokesman added.
WTO to promote sustainable development of world fishery industry
In the immediate aftermath of the devastating 7.5-magnitude earthquake that struck Colombia, Chinese company SANY Heavy Industry deployed heavy machinery and technical teams to support rubble clearance and search-and-rescue operations.
The quake struck cities across western Colombia at 7:34 a.m. local time on Aug. 10, leaving at least 294 people dead, 3,935 injured and 320 missing, according to data released by the National Unit for Disaster Risk Management (UNGRD) on Sunday.
The earthquake toppled buildings and blocked major roads, with the city of Pereira among the hardest-hit areas.
Since the first day of the disaster, Chinese-built excavators and loaders have been working alongside local rescue crews to clear debris and support the search for survivors.
Among the first SANY employees to respond was José Castro, a 42-year-old after-sales manager for SANY Colombia. Based in Bogotá, Castro learned that the airport serving the disaster zone had been damaged and closed. He then drove for seven hours to Pereira to join the relief operations.
"As soon as we learned of the urgent need for heavy equipment in the affected areas, we set out from Bogotá and mobilized technicians from across the country," he said.
Local disaster management officials also highlighted the critical role of Chinese-provided machinery and international assistance in the rescue and recovery efforts.
"Machinery is crucial. Initially, it was used to search for and rescue survivors and recover the bodies of victims. It is also essential for clearing debris. International assistance has been vital to us, and we are deeply grateful for it. We have truly felt the solidarity of the international community," said Diana Ramirez, an official with the Disaster Risk Management Bureau of Risaralda.
Chinese firm assists relief efforts in Colombia after earthquake