Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Cuban families receive 'Made in Mexico' essentials as crisis worsens

News

Cuban families receive 'Made in Mexico' essentials as crisis worsens
News

News

Cuban families receive 'Made in Mexico' essentials as crisis worsens

2026-02-20 07:03 Last Updated At:07:11

HAVANA (AP) — Guillermo Beltrán walked away with two heavy bags on Thursday, each containing an essential haul — rice, beans, amaranth and crackers — complemented by a bottle of oil, large cans of sardines and canned peaches. Every label carried the same simple phrase “Made in Mexico.”

Beltrán, a 70-year-old Cuban father of two, was one of several hundred recipients of Mexican humanitarian assistance, ordered by President Claudia Sheinbaum in support of the island nation as it faces blackouts and severe fuel shortages worsened by a U.S oil embargo.

More Images
State-run bodega manager Roberto Roman fills bags with donated Mexican humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a family, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega manager Roberto Roman fills bags with donated Mexican humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a family, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Guillermo Beltrán, a recipient of Mexican humanitarian assistance, carries a bag of donated items as he arrives at his home in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Guillermo Beltrán, a recipient of Mexican humanitarian assistance, carries a bag of donated items as he arrives at his home in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega worker Roberto Román, left, shakes hands with Guillermo Beltran, after Beltran received bags of Mexican humanitarian assistance, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega worker Roberto Román, left, shakes hands with Guillermo Beltran, after Beltran received bags of Mexican humanitarian assistance, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega manager Roberto Roman carries bags of donated Mexican humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a family, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega manager Roberto Roman carries bags of donated Mexican humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a family, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Guillermo Beltran, a recipient of Mexican humanitarian assistance, poses for a photo with his daughters Chanely, left and Chanela, holding his donated items at their home in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Guillermo Beltran, a recipient of Mexican humanitarian assistance, poses for a photo with his daughters Chanely, left and Chanela, holding his donated items at their home in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

“I feel very grateful,” said Beltrán. “The Mexican president should be praised to the skies for showing such concern and courage.”

Two Mexican Navy ships laden with humanitarian aid docked in Cuba last week, two weeks after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to impose tariffs on countries that sell oil to the island, deepening an already severe economic and energy crisis in the Caribbean nation.

The ships brought about 800 tons of goods, and another 1,500 tons of powdered milk and beans are expected to be loaded in the coming days.

The Cuban government said the aid will support vulnerable families with underweight children or elderly members in Havana and the provinces of Mayabeque and Artemisa. Earlier this week, state television aired footage of the supplies arriving at bodegas — the state-run shops that distribute basic goods to citizens through a national ration book system.

The bags received by Beltrán were taken directly to his home by the manager of his neighborhood bodega in Havana.

“People are very grateful for these donations,” Roberto Román, the 28-year-old manager, told The Associated Press. He is responsible for 1,780 customers, distributed among 850 families.

The economic crisis gripping Cuba since 2020 has been compounded by intensified U.S. sanctions aimed at forcing a change in the island’s political model. These pressures led to critical shortages and severe blackouts that peaked in early 2026.

Cuba relied heavily on oil shipments from Venezuela that were halted when the U.S. attacked the South American country in early January and arrested its leader.

Because Cuba produces only 40% of its required fuel, it remains highly vulnerable to external blockades. While strong allies like Russia and China have condemned the U.S. measures, their support has remained largely symbolic thus far.

Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america

State-run bodega manager Roberto Roman fills bags with donated Mexican humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a family, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega manager Roberto Roman fills bags with donated Mexican humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a family, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Guillermo Beltrán, a recipient of Mexican humanitarian assistance, carries a bag of donated items as he arrives at his home in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Guillermo Beltrán, a recipient of Mexican humanitarian assistance, carries a bag of donated items as he arrives at his home in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega worker Roberto Román, left, shakes hands with Guillermo Beltran, after Beltran received bags of Mexican humanitarian assistance, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega worker Roberto Román, left, shakes hands with Guillermo Beltran, after Beltran received bags of Mexican humanitarian assistance, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega manager Roberto Roman carries bags of donated Mexican humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a family, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

State-run bodega manager Roberto Roman carries bags of donated Mexican humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a family, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Guillermo Beltran, a recipient of Mexican humanitarian assistance, poses for a photo with his daughters Chanely, left and Chanela, holding his donated items at their home in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

Guillermo Beltran, a recipient of Mexican humanitarian assistance, poses for a photo with his daughters Chanely, left and Chanela, holding his donated items at their home in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

NEW YORK (AP) — That won't necessarily be Bobby Valentine behind the sunglasses and fake mustache at Citi Field this summer.

Among several promotions the New York Mets announced Thursday is a Bobby Valentine Disguise Night on May 29, inspired by what the former manager donned to return to the dugout after being ejected from a game in 1999. The giveaway for the first 15,000 fans will be a glasses-mustaches getup similar to what was worn by Valentine.

“I love it!” Valentine wrote in a text to The Associated Press about the planned giveaway. “I'll be there. Can't wait.”

While Valentine went 536-467 as the Mets manager from 1996-2002, and helped guide them to the 2000 World Series, he is perhaps best remembered for the dugout disguise. The now 75-year-old former manager has even played into that over the years.

When Valentine was introduced during a Mets' Old-Timers' Day in 2022, he came out donning a fake mustache, drawing a loud chuckle from the crowd at Citi Field.

During a television broadcast of a Mets game at the Los Angeles Angels in 2024, Valentine did an in-game interview in the Angels booth wearing a disguise.

It was on June 9, 1999, that the excitable Valentine was ejected from a game against the Toronto Blue Jays. He was tossed in the 12th inning, but returned to the dugout with the fake mustache fashioned from eye black and sunglasses for the rest of the 4 1/2-hour game that the Mets won in 14 innings.

Valentine was later suspended for two games and fined $5,000 for the stunt.

AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/mlb

FILE - Former New York Mets' Bobby Valentine, wearing a fake moustache, reacts as he is introduced during an Old-Timers' Day ceremony before a baseball game between the Colorado Rockies and the Mets on Aug. 27, 2022, in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger, File)

FILE - Former New York Mets' Bobby Valentine, wearing a fake moustache, reacts as he is introduced during an Old-Timers' Day ceremony before a baseball game between the Colorado Rockies and the Mets on Aug. 27, 2022, in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger, File)

Recommended Articles