Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

King Charles' brother Andrew released after arrest linked to Epstein

HotTV

HotTV

HotTV

King Charles' brother Andrew released after arrest linked to Epstein

2026-02-20 09:45 Last Updated At:12:13

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the younger brother of Britain's King Charles III, was released from police custody on Thursday evening after a full day of questioning following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The former prince is still under investigation, according to UK police.

Mountbatten-Windsor was accused of being closely associated with the late U.S. financier Epstein and of sexual abuse against an underage female at Epstein's properties. He has denied these allegations, claiming that he had long since distanced himself from Epstein.

Due to the case's ongoing impact on the reputation of the British royal family, Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal and military titles in October 2025 and moved out of Royal Lodge in February this year, where he had lived for over two decades.

Newly released information shows that Mountbatten-Windsor also allegedly shared confidential government documents with Epstein.

King Charles III issued a public statement on Thursday after his younger brother was arrested, saying he received the news with "the deepest concern".

In the statement, the King said the matter "is being investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities", adding that "they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation". He also stressed that "the law must take its course".

Meanwhile, there is a great deal of public attention in the UK on the former prince's arrest.

"I was quite celebratory at first. I think it's been something that's been in the news for too long," said a resident.

"Well, I think it's probably long overdue, and hopefully they get rid of the redactions from all the other people in those files and more people to come," said another.

"I think I was surprised because I didn't think it was going to happen at the point that it's happened. But I think obviously it's the right thing because it doesn't matter who you are, the law should stand to you," said a resident.

Late last month, the U.S. Department of Justice released roughly three million pages of the latest batch of the "Epstein files", along with 2,000 video segments and 180,000 images, leading to scrutiny across the Atlantic and beyond.

The disclosures have already prompted resignations among political figures over their ties to Epstein, who died under mysterious circumstances in federal custody in 2019.

King Charles' brother Andrew released after arrest linked to Epstein

King Charles' brother Andrew released after arrest linked to Epstein

The Hamas-run Gaza media office said on Thursday that 1,148 Palestinians have crossed the Rafah border crossing in both directions since its reopening earlier this month.

In a brief press statement, the office said that 1,148 travelers passed through the crossing, out of 3,400 who were expected to cross during the same period.

According to the statement, a total of 640 people departed and 508 returned to the Gaza Strip from Feb. 2 through Wednesday. It added that 26 Palestinians were turned back while attempting to leave, without any explanation.

It had been expected that 50 Palestinians, including patients and wounded individuals, would leave Gaza daily, accompanied by two companions, while another 50 would return each day, according to media reports.

On Monday, Hamas accused Israel of a "blatant violation" of the Rafah crossing's operational mechanisms stipulated in the ceasefire agreement.

In a press statement, Hamas said that despite the reopening of the crossing, Israeli authorities continued to violate the agreed mechanisms and subjected returning travelers to physical and psychological mistreatment and harsh interrogations.

The movement added that Israel had failed to adhere to the daily quotas for departures and returns, placing the lives of thousands of patients and wounded individuals in danger due to delays in receiving medical treatment abroad.

The limited operation of the Rafah crossing began on Feb. 2, marking its first partial reopening in more than a year and a half. The move came as part of a preliminary trial phase under a ceasefire agreement brokered by the United States.

Returning travelers and Palestinian factions have accused the Israeli army of restricting their freedom of movement through extensive searches, prolonged questioning, and confiscation of personal belongings. Israeli authorities have not commented on the allegations.

The Rafah crossing has been mostly closed since Israeli forces took control of the area in May 2024, cutting off Gaza from the outside world and exacerbating the humanitarian crisis.

1,148 Palestinians cross reopened Rafah crossing: Gaza media office

1,148 Palestinians cross reopened Rafah crossing: Gaza media office

Recommended Articles