Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

All truckers and bus drivers will be required to take commercial driver's license tests in English

News

All truckers and bus drivers will be required to take commercial driver's license tests in English
News

News

All truckers and bus drivers will be required to take commercial driver's license tests in English

2026-02-21 05:56 Last Updated At:06:01

All truckers and bus drivers will have to take their commercial driver’s license tests in English as the Trump administration expands its aggressive campaign to improve safety in the industry and get unqualified drivers off the road.

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced the latest effort Friday to ensure that drivers meet the federal requirements to understand English well enough to read road signs and communicate with law enforcement officers. Florida already started administering its tests in English.

More Images
U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks beside Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Derek Barrs during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks beside Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Derek Barrs during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Derek Barrs speaks beside U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, left, during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Derek Barrs speaks beside U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, left, during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Currently, many states allow drivers to take their license tests in other languages even though they are required to demonstrate English proficiency. California offered tests in 20 other languages. Duffy said that a number of states have hired other companies to administer commercial driver's licenses tests, and those companies aren't enforcing the standards that drivers are supposed to meet to demonstrate their driving and English skills.

These latest enforcement efforts come just days after the Transportation Department said 557 driving schools should close because they failed to meet basic safety standards. The department has been aggressively going after states that handed out commercial driver’s licenses to immigrants who shouldn’t have qualified for them ever since a fatal crash in August.

A truck driver who Duffy says wasn’t authorized to be in the U.S. made an illegal U-turn and caused a crash in Florida that killed three people. Other fatal crashes since then, including one in Indiana that killed four members of an Amish community earlier this month, have only heightened concerns.

States are expected to ensure drivers can speak English before giving them a commercial license, and then law enforcement is supposed to check driver's language skills during any traffic stops or inspections. Drivers who can't communicate effectively are supposed to be pulled off the road. A recent federal effort involving 8,215 inspections led to nearly 500 drivers being disqualified because of their English skills. California initially resisted enforcing the English rules, but the state recently pulled more than 600 drivers off the highways.

Duffy said every American wants drivers who get behind the wheel of a big rig to be well-qualified to handle those vehicles. But he said that for too long the problems in the trucking industry were “allowed to rot and no one's paying attention to it for decades."

“Once you start to pay attention, you see that all these bad things have been happening. And the consequence of that is that Americans get hurt,” Duffy said. “When we get on the road, we should expect that we should be safe. And that those who drive those 80,000-pound big rigs, that they are well-trained, they’re well-qualified, and they’re going to be safe.”

The campaign will also now expand to prevent fraudulent trucking companies from getting into the business while continuing to go after questionable schools and ensure states are complying with all the regulations for handing out commercial licenses.

Duffy said that the registration system and requirements for trucking companies will be strengthened while Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration inspectors conduct more spot checks of trucks and commercial driver’s license schools.

Officials are also trying to make sure that the electronic logging devices drivers use are accurate, and that states are following all the regulations to ensure drivers are qualified to get commercial licenses.

Currently, companies only have to pay $300 and show proof of insurance to get registered to operate, and then they might not be audited until a year or more later. And even then the audits might be done virtually, which makes it less likely to identify fraudulent companies.

That has made it easy for fraudulent companies that are known in the industry as “chameleon carriers” to register multiple times under different names and then simply switch names and registration numbers to avoid any consequences after crashes or other violations.

Dan Horvath, who is the chief operating officer for the American Trucking Associations trade group, said this longstanding problem has made it far too easy for companies that have been ordered to shut down to just change their name and registration number and keep operating the same way.

“What we think at ATA has happened over the years is that we have a lack of true enforcement and intervention with motor carriers that are in operation,” Horvath said. Only a small fraction of trucking companies ever undergo a full compliance review with an in-person inspection, he said.

After that Indiana crash, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration knocked the company that employed the driver out of service and pulled the DOT numbers assigned to two other companies that were linked to AJ Partners. Tutash Express and Sam Express in the Chicago area were also disqualified, and the Aydana driving school that the trucker involved in the crash attended lost its certification.

Immigration authorities arrested that driver because they said the 30-year-old from Kyrgyzstan entered the country illegally. Authorities say he pulled out and tried to go around a truck that had slowed in front of him, and his truck slammed into an oncoming van.

In December, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration took action to decertify up to 7,500 of the 16,000 schools nationwide, but that included many defunct operations.

Duffy said the companies involved in that Indiana crash were all registered at the same apartment. In other cases, there might be hundreds of these chameleon companies registered at a single address.

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks beside Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Derek Barrs during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks beside Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Derek Barrs during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Derek Barrs speaks beside U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, left, during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator Derek Barrs speaks beside U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy, left, during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy speaks during a news conference on enhancing truck driving safety at the U.S. Department of Transportation on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

LIVIGNO, Italy (AP) — American freeskier Hunter Hess got to the end of his successful run in Olympic halfpipe qualifying, then leaned into the camera. He bent his left thumb and forefinger into the shape of an “L," lifted it to his forehead and pointed at it with the other hand.

“Apparently,” he explained, “I'm a loser.”

The 27-year-old who received that label from U.S. President Donald Trump at the start of the Olympics — leading to threats to his family and setting off the first major political imbroglio of the Games — finally got in the starting gate Friday. Fired up after nailing his first run, he flashed the “L” sign, then explained he has used the entire episode as motivation.

“I worked so hard to be here. I sacrificed my entire life to make this happen,” Hess said. “I’m not going to let controversy like that get in my way. I love the United States of America. I cannot say that enough. My original statement, I felt like I said that, but apparently people didn’t take it that way. I’m so happy to be here, so happy to represent Team USA.”

Hess was one of four Americans to qualify for the 12-man final, where Alex Ferreira's victory gave the U.S. team its first gold medal over nearly two weeks of skiing and snowboarding at the Livigno Snow Park.

During a news conference at the start of the Games, skiers were asked how they felt representing the country during the Trump administration's heightened immigration enforcement actions back home.

Hess' response: "If it aligns with my moral values, I feel like I’m representing it. Just because I’m wearing the flag doesn’t mean I represent everything that’s going on in the U.S.”

That caught Trump's attention.

“Hess, a real Loser, says he doesn’t represent his Country in the current Winter Olympics. If that’s the case, he shouldn’t have tried out for the Team, and it’s too bad he’s on it,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social account.

After a few days, that died down. The freeskiers, placed on the back end of the Olympic schedule, retreated to Laax, Switzerland, for a week of training. Hess conceded it wasn't the easiest time.

“I had a week that was pretty challenging,” he said. “Luckily, my family was there to support me and help me get through it. There was a lot of noise and I've never been subject to that kind of criticism. Skiing has saved my life time and time again and it seems to have done so again."

He said, "There's been a lot of hate out there. All those people are super entitled to their opinion, and I respect it."

Ultimately, though, he said he had no second thoughts about what he said in that fateful Feb. 6 news conference. The message, he insisted, was really a message of support.

“I stand with what I said. I love the United States of America. I cannot reiterate that enough. It means the absolute world to me to be able to represent Team USA here. I worked so, so hard to get here. I stick with what I said.”

Hess didn't speak to reporters after Friday night's final, when he finished 10th. Ferreira's victory completed his medal collection after winning silver and bronze at previous Games.

When asked about Hess, Ferreira said he supported him.

“Hunter is a member of our team. He is a great guy, who works super hard," Ferreira said. ”I guess anyone who feels otherwise can feel that, but I stand by my teammate.”

AP Winter Olympics: https://apnews.com/hub/milan-cortina-2026-winter-olympics

United States' Hunter Hess reacts during the men's freestyle skiing halfpipe qualifications at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Livigno, Italy, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

United States' Hunter Hess reacts during the men's freestyle skiing halfpipe qualifications at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Livigno, Italy, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

United States' Hunter Hess reacts during the men's freestyle skiing halfpipe qualifications at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Livigno, Italy, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

United States' Hunter Hess reacts during the men's freestyle skiing halfpipe qualifications at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Livigno, Italy, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

United States' Hunter Hess reacts during the men's freestyle skiing halfpipe qualifications at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Livigno, Italy, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

United States' Hunter Hess reacts during the men's freestyle skiing halfpipe qualifications at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Livigno, Italy, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

Recommended Articles