Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

HotTV

HotTV

HotTV

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

2026-02-21 12:07 Last Updated At:16:17

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for diplomatic engagement to resolve differences between the United States and Iran amid a surge in military activities and rhetoric across the Middle East, his spokesperson said on Friday.

"We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we're seeing around the region by the heightened military activities, war games or just military, increased military, naval presence in the region. And we encourage both the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue to engage in diplomacy in order to settle the differences," said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for UN secretary-general.

The call for restraint follows a formal letter delivered on Thursday by Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN, addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council. Iravani emphasized that Iran is prepared to exercise its inherent right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, promising a decisive and proportionate response to any military aggression.

Iravani further warned that in such a scenario, all bases, facilities, and assets belonging to hostile forces in the Middle East would constitute legitimate targets for Iranian defensive measures. The envoy added that the United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unforeseen and uncontrollable consequences resulting from further provocations.

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

Stronger international investigations are needed into alleged abuses against women and minors linked to the Jeffrey Epstein case, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said Thursday.

Speaking at a press briefing at UN headquarters in New York, Dujarric was asked about the reported arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, Britain’s ex-prince and King Charles III’s younger brother, on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He has previously been accused of close ties with Epstein and of engaging in sexual activity with an underage female at a property linked to Epstein.

Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal and military titles in October 2025 and moved out of Royal Lodge in February this year, where he had lived for more than two decades. Newly released information also alleges he shared confidential government documents with Epstein.

"That's not for us to get involved in, but as we've said before, there should be increased investigations into the abuse of women and girls that we have seen by Mr. Epstein, that spans many different countries and jurisdictions," said Dujarric.

Separately, the U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Accountability said the same day that it plans to conduct closed-door interviews in New York State next week with former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, describing the interviews as related to the ongoing Epstein investigation.

The committee said Hillary Clinton is scheduled to be questioned on Feb 26, with Bill Clinton set to follow on Feb 27.

On Dec 19 last year, the U.S. Department of Justice began publishing Epstein-related documents on its website. The documents make numerous references to former President Clinton. The Clintons have said they were unaware of Epstein's criminal conduct.

A disgraced former financier and one of the most notorious sex offenders in recent decades, Epstein maintained close ties with prominent figures in U.S. political and business circles. He was convicted in 2008 of soliciting prostitution from a minor, arrested again in July 2019 on federal sex trafficking charges, and died in jail the following month, with authorities ruling his death a suicide.

UN spokesperson calls for intensified investigations into Epstein abuses

UN spokesperson calls for intensified investigations into Epstein abuses

Recommended Articles