Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Pitt hires College of Charleston coach Robin Harmony to take over reeling women's basketball program

Sport

Pitt hires College of Charleston coach Robin Harmony to take over reeling women's basketball program
Sport

Sport

Pitt hires College of Charleston coach Robin Harmony to take over reeling women's basketball program

2026-03-24 04:37 Last Updated At:04:40

PITTSBURGH (AP) — College of Charleston coach Robin Harmony is heading north to take over Pittsburgh's struggling women's basketball program.

Pitt athletic director Allen Greene announced Monday that the Panthers have tabbed Harmony to replace Tory Verdi, who was fired this month after finishing 8-23, including a 1-17 mark in conference play. Verdi's dismissal came just weeks after several former Panthers filed a lawsuit against Verdi and the university alleging they were subject to abusive coaching methods and their pleas for the university to intervene went unheard. The school has denied the allegations.

Harmony spent seven years at College of Charleston, leading the Cougars to a program-record 27-6 mark, the Colonial Athletic Association title and their first-ever NCAA Tournament berth. Charleston hung tough in the first round against third-seeded Duke before falling 81-64.

The 2026 CAA Coach of the Year, Harmony won a school-record 122 games during her tenure with the Cougars. Harmony previously coached at Lamar, winning 115 games across six seasons while leading the Cardinals to three Southland Conference regular-season titles.

“Coach Harmony has built a reputation on forming meaningful relationships with student-athletes and leading with an athlete-centered philosophy that prioritizes their growth both on and off the court,” Greene said in a statement.

Harmony, a native of Hershey, Pennsylvania, starred collegiately at Miami. She is the only player in Hurricanes history in either the men's or women's programs to finish her playing career with 1,000 points, 750 rebounds, 400 assists and 300 steals. Harmony later served as a longtime assistant at Miami before becoming head coach at NAIA-level St. Thomas (Florida) in 2005.

“My promise to Pitt fans is to build a team that reflects the spirit of the University and the City of Pittsburgh with grit, determination and teamwork,” Harmony said.

The Panthers have largely floundered since moving from the Big East to the ACC in 2013. Pitt has posted just one winning season since making the move. The 2013-14 team won 20 games and reached the NCAA Tournament under former coach Suzie McConnell-Serio.

Pitt has finished four games under .500 or worse in each of the last 11 seasons.

Get poll alerts and updates on the AP Top 25 throughout the season. Sign up here and here (AP mobile app). AP women’s college basketball: https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll and https://apnews.com/hub/womens-college-basketball

FILE - Charleston head coach Robin Harmony watches her team during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against James Madison in Harrisonburg, Va., Feb. 18, 2022. (Daniel Lin/Daily News-Record Via AP, File)

FILE - Charleston head coach Robin Harmony watches her team during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against James Madison in Harrisonburg, Va., Feb. 18, 2022. (Daniel Lin/Daily News-Record Via AP, File)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A human smuggling case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, whose mistaken deportation helped galvanize opposition to President Donald Trump's immigration policies, was thrown out on Friday.

Abrego Garcia's deportation to El Salvador last year became an embarrassment for Trump officials when they were ordered to return him to the U.S. Abrego Garcia claimed that both the timing of the criminal charges and inflammatory statements about him by top Trump officials demonstrated that the prosecution was vindictive.

U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw, ruling from Nashville, granted Abrego Garcia's motion to dismiss for “selective or vindictive prosecution."

Without Abrego Garcia’s “successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the government would not have brought this prosecution,” said Crenshaw, dismissing claims of “new evidence” against him.

In earlier court filings, Crenshaw wrote he had found some evidence that the prosecution against Abrego Garcia "may be vindictive.” The judge said many statements by Trump administration officials “raise cause for concern.” He cited a statement by then-Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche that seemed to suggest the Justice Department charged Abrego Garcia because he won his wrongful-deportation case.

First Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee Rob McGuire had resisted requests to provide documents and testimony to Abrego Garcia from senior Justice Department officials including Blanche. McGuire insisted that he was the decision-maker in the case and that his motivations were the only relevant ones.

Abrego Garcia was charged with human smuggling and conspiracy to commit human smuggling, with prosecutors claiming that he accepted money to transport within the United States people who were in the country illegally.

The charges stem from a 2022 traffic stop in Tennessee for speeding. Body camera footage from a Tennessee Highway Patrol officer shows a calm exchange with Abrego Garcia. There were nine passengers in the car, and the officers discussed among themselves their suspicions of smuggling. However, Abrego Garcia was eventually allowed to continue driving with only a warning.

A Department of Homeland Security agent testified at an earlier hearing that he did not begin investigating the traffic stop until after the U.S. Supreme Court said in April 2025 that Trump's Republican administration must work to bring Abrego Garcia back from El Salvador. The deportation violated a 2019 immigration court order granting him protection from deportation to his home country, after the judge found he faced danger there from a gang that targeted his family.

Abrego Garcia is a Salvadoran citizen with an American wife and child who has lived in Maryland for years although he immigrated to the U.S. illegally as a teenager. The 2019 order allowed him to live and work in the U.S. under Immigration and Customs Enforcement supervision, but he was not given residency status.

Meanwhile, Trump administration officials have said Abrego Garcia cannot remain in the U.S. They have vowed to deport him to a third country, most recently Liberia.

Kilmar Abrego Garcia and his wife, center, hold hands as people rally in support of him at a news conference outside federal court after a hearing in his case on Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in Greenbelt, Md. (AP Photo/Michael Kunzelman)

Kilmar Abrego Garcia and his wife, center, hold hands as people rally in support of him at a news conference outside federal court after a hearing in his case on Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in Greenbelt, Md. (AP Photo/Michael Kunzelman)

Recommended Articles