Russian regional officials and exhibitors at the 10th China-Russia Expo in Harbin City, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, are calling for deeper agricultural cooperation and streamlined customs processes to strengthen bilateral economic ties.
The 10th China-Russia Expo opened on Sunday and will run until May 21. Covering a total exhibition area of 55,000 square meters, the expo features more than 1,500 Chinese and foreign companies from 46 countries and regions across the world.
"We are here in Harbin for the China-Russia Expo, coming from Russia's Sakha Republic. Our region is dominated by agriculture. We are seeking advanced farming technologies including irrigation equipment and harvesters. We hope to reach deals in the coming days to boost local development," said Vasiliy Petrovich Alexeev, head of Ust-Aidan Region, Russian Federation.
"The custom clearance process makes it easier for entrepreneurs from both countries to learn from each other, and boost the prosperity of our foreign economic and trade relations," said Alexander, a Russian exhibitor.
Nearly 300 Russian companies are showcasing their products at the expo, and the number of Russian buyers is expected to exceed 5,000.
Russian delegates seek agricultural tech, smoother trade at China-Russia expo
The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Sunday determined that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda constitutes a "public health emergency of international concern."
The WHO said on social media platform X that the outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency.
The designation aims to coordinate a stronger international response to end the outbreak. The global health body has sent experts and delivered medical supplies to curb the spread of the disease.
Racing against time to stop the spread of the Ebola virus, UN agencies are scaling up the delivery of medical supplies to Ituri province in the DRC following the confirmation of the infectious disease on Friday.
More than 240 suspected cases and 80 deaths have been reported in two mining towns so far.
The WHO has prompted global partners to aid the DRC government.
"This is a local challenge needing leadership on the frontlines and we are going to have it and we are going to support it but this local challenge can go global in an instant, and those are the stakes that we are all aware of, pushing a pandemic where it belongs and ending it," said David Stevenson, a representative of the World Food Program and country director for Nigeria.
The outbreak has been reported in Uganda. Authorities have also confirmed a case in the DRC capital Kinshasa. In both cases, patients are believed to have traveled from Ituri.
International health organizations have mobilized more than 600 kilograms of medical supplies to support the DRC government to treat Ebola patients and stop the spread of the contagious disease that has occurred in a region affected by conflict.
Officials fear that displacement of populations and cross-border trade may hinder response efforts.
"I think the main challenge we are going to face in Ituri is the population because the population there is very important and they go everywhere. So, you know that there are many traders there and people are going everywhere so this is the big issue we face there," Samuel Roger Kamba, health minister of the DRC.
Countries bordering the DRC are considered high risk. The WHO has urged them to enhance surveillance and report cases. Rwanda has closed its border with the DRC in the western province of Rubavu following the announcement.
The latest Ebola outbreak is the 17th in the DRC since 1976.
Scientists say the disease spreads through contact with the bodily fluids of infected people.
WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda global public health emergency