Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Trump administration plans to admit more white South Africans as refugees this year

News

Trump administration plans to admit more white South Africans as refugees this year
News

News

Trump administration plans to admit more white South Africans as refugees this year

2026-05-19 10:51 Last Updated At:11:01

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration plans to admit up to 10,000 more white South African refugees into the United States in the coming months, arguing that their status as Afrikaners has left them open to discrimination and persecution at home.

The South African government has said the Trump administration’s claims are baseless. But President Donald Trump has insisted the white Afrikaner minority has faced systematic discrimination and violence, particularly attacks against its farming communities — prompting him to cut off aid to South Africa, engage in a fiery Oval Office confrontation with its president and boycott last year’s Group of 20 summit in Johannesburg.

The State Department told Congress on Monday that it will admit up to 17,500 Afrikaners — a group of white South Africans descended mainly from Dutch settlers — as refugees through the fiscal year that ends in September. The administration initially indicated that it would only admit up to 7,500, mostly Afrikaners, in that time period, but said Monday that “unforeseen developments in South Africa created an emergency refugee situation.”

The administration’s plans were outlined in an emergency State Department notice sent to Congress on Monday evening and obtained by The Associated Press. CNN first reported the new refugee levels.

Under law, the administration is required to inform lawmakers about refugee levels for each fiscal year and to consult with them. Administration officials are slated to meet with Congress for the consultation process later this week, according to a congressional aide who was granted anonymity to confirm a private meeting.

The administration said the South African government’s rhetoric “across multiple ministries and political parties has sought to undermine the U.S. resettlement program and attacked Afrikaners,” pointing to recent comments from President Cyril Ramaphosa and other South African political figures. It also cited a December incident in which South African government officials raided a U.S. refugee processing center, which the administration at the time denounced as “unacceptable.”

“This escalating hostility heightens the risks to Afrikaners in South Africa, who are already subject to far-reaching government-sponsored race-based discrimination,” the State Department said in the notice.

The estimated cost for resettling the additional 10,000 refugees is about $100 million, according to the State Department.

The issue was a subject of a contentious Oval Office encounter between Trump and Ramaphosa last year, during which Trump played a video featuring a far-left politician chanting a song with the lyrics “kill the farmer.” Trump has repeatedly accused South Africa of failing to address a systematic killing of white farmers.

Experts in South Africa have said there is no evidence of whites being targeted for their race, although farmers of all races are victims of violence in South Africa, where there is a high crime rate. During the May 2025 meeting, Ramaphosa said “we are completely opposed to” the behavior that Trump referenced and added “that is not government policy” and “our government policy is completely, completely against what he was saying.”

The Trump administration’s overall refugee policy has marked a dramatic departure from that of his predecessors, significantly slashing the number of those who would be admitted. The 7,500 figure that the administration initially disclosed last year was a historic low number of refugees admitted to the U.S. since the program began in 1980.

FILE - President Donald Trump greets South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, center, at the White House, May 21, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, File)

FILE - President Donald Trump greets South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, center, at the White House, May 21, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson, File)

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Former Los Angeles police detective Mark Fuhrman, who was convicted of lying during testimony at the O.J. Simpson murder trial, has died. He was 74.

Fuhrman was one of the first two police detectives sent to investigate the 1994 killings of Simpson’s ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend, Ronald Goldman, in Los Angeles. He reported finding a bloody glove at Simpson’s home but his credibility came under attack during the trial as the defense raised the prospect of racial bias.

Under cross-examination, Fuhrman testified that he had never made anti-Black racial slurs in the past decade, but a recording showed he had done so repeatedly.

Lynn Acebedo, the chief deputy coroner in Kootenai County, Idaho, said that Fuhrman died May 12. The county does not release the cause of death as a rule.

Alan Dershowitz, a prominent lawyer and law professor who was a legal strategist on Simpson’s defense “Dream Team,” said Fuhrman was a “much better detective than he was a witness.”

“He’s very smart, and you know, a very, very aggressive detective. Ultimately his actions helped us win the O.J. case because of his use of the ‘n’ word,” Dershowitz said Monday evening. “I got to know him later, after it was all over, and we had a cordial relationship.”

Fuhrman retired from the Los Angeles Police Department after Simpson’s 1995 acquittal. He subsequently moved to Idaho with his family and set up a 20-acre (eight-hectare) farm, raising chickens, goats, sheep and llamas.

In 1996, Fuhrman was charged with perjury and pleaded no contest. He later became a TV and radio commentator and wrote the book “Murder in Brentwood” about the killings.

A criminal-court jury found Simpson, a former star NFL running back and actor, not guilty of murder in 1995, but a separate civil trial jury found him liable in 1997 for the deaths and ordered him to pay $33.5 million to relatives of Brown and Goldman. He served nine years in prison on unrelated charges and died in Las Vegas of prostate cancer in 2024 at the age of 76.

Kato Kaelin, a friend of Brown who also testified in the murder trial, wrote in a post on X that he wanted to respectfully acknowledge Fuhrman's death and that he hopes Fuhrman's loved ones can find peace.

“While we were never close personally, our lives were indelibly linked through our roles in the O.J. Simpson trial over thirty years ago. It was a deeply complex and painful chapter for everyone involved, but any loss of life is a time for reflection and solemnity,” Kaelin wrote.

Fuhrman’s father left when he was 7 years old, and Fuhrman often cared for his younger brother while his mother worked. As an adult, he joined the Marines and then the Los Angeles Police Department.

This story has been updated to correct the last name of Brown's friend who testified in the murder trial. He is Kato Kaelin, not Kaitlin.

Golden reported from Seattle.

FILE - In this June 15, 1995 file photo, O.J. Simpson, left, grimaces as he tries on one of the leather gloves prosecutors say he wore the night his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman were murdered in a Los Angeles courtroom. (AP Photo/Sam Mircovich, Pool, File)

FILE - In this June 15, 1995 file photo, O.J. Simpson, left, grimaces as he tries on one of the leather gloves prosecutors say he wore the night his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman were murdered in a Los Angeles courtroom. (AP Photo/Sam Mircovich, Pool, File)

FILE - Los Angeles Police Department Det. Mark Fuhrman, foreground, and Superior Court Judge Lance Ito, rear, crane their heads to look at an overhead monitor during the O.J. Simpson double-murder trial, Friday, March 10, 1995, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon, File)

FILE - Los Angeles Police Department Det. Mark Fuhrman, foreground, and Superior Court Judge Lance Ito, rear, crane their heads to look at an overhead monitor during the O.J. Simpson double-murder trial, Friday, March 10, 1995, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon, File)

FILE - Los Angeles Police Detective Mark Fuhrman shows the jury in the O.J. Simpson double murder trial evidence during testimony Friday, March 10, 1995, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Nick Ut, Pool, File)

FILE - Los Angeles Police Detective Mark Fuhrman shows the jury in the O.J. Simpson double murder trial evidence during testimony Friday, March 10, 1995, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Nick Ut, Pool, File)

Recommended Articles