Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Jazz Age style: Chisholm borrows Stanton's baggy pants, Caballero's bat to spark turnaround

Sport

Jazz Age style: Chisholm borrows Stanton's baggy pants, Caballero's bat to spark turnaround
Sport

Sport

Jazz Age style: Chisholm borrows Stanton's baggy pants, Caballero's bat to spark turnaround

2026-05-19 21:40 Last Updated At:21:51

NEW YORK (AP) — Baggy pants are in style for the Yankees' Jazz Age.

When Jazz Chisholm Jr. leaned in the batter's box as he tried to will his drive fair, the material in his baggy, pinstriped pants sagged. In an effort of break out of his early season slump, the New York Yankees second baseman has been wearing Giancarlo Stanton's uniform trousers and using José Caballero's bat.

More Images
New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr., center, reacts after hitting an RBI double during the third inning of a baseball game against the New York Mets, Friday, May 15, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr., center, reacts after hitting an RBI double during the third inning of a baseball game against the New York Mets, Friday, May 15, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. reacts after hitting a double during the second inning of a baseball game against the New York Mets, Saturday, May 16, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. reacts after hitting a double during the second inning of a baseball game against the New York Mets, Saturday, May 16, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. celebrates his two-run home run in the dugout during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. celebrates his two-run home run in the dugout during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. reacts after hitting a two-run home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. reacts after hitting a two-run home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. looks after his two-run home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. looks after his two-run home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Oxford Bags, as extra-wide pants were known in 1920s Britain, could become a trend if Chisholm keeps hitting.

“My teammates love 'em,” Chisholm said after his tiebreaking, two-run homer in the seventh inning led the Yankees to a 7-6 win over Toronto on Monday night. “I hear a lot of fans on the road talk about it but at home guys like it.”

An All-Star last season when he had 31 homers, 80 RBIs and 31 stolen bases, Chisholm didn't hit his first home run this year until April 23. His batting average sunk to .200 during last week's trip to Baltimore.

Listed at 5-foot-11 and 184 pounds, the 28-year-old Chisholm had been borrowing the looser pants of 221-pound teammate Trent Grisham. He couldn't find a Grisham pair last Wednesday at Baltimore.

“I went to Big G's pants, and the balls were coming off hot,” Chisholm said.

Wearing the baggier breeches of the 6-foot-6, 245-pound Stanton, Chisholm had a double that day. Then he went 7 for 12 wearing Stanton's knickers during a Subway Series against the New York Mets at Citi Field last weekend.

“Jazz has so much swag. He can really kind of pull off anything,” teammate Cody Bellinger said.

Chisholm also switched in Baltimore from his regular bat, manufactured by Chandler, to a 34-inch, 31-ounce Victus model used by Caballero.

“I was like, bro, keep my bat hot, and he’s like, `All right, let me try that,'” said Caballero, on the injured list with a broken finger. “His is more end-loaded. Mine is more balanced so you can really feel your hands.”

Baseball players, a superstitious lot, will go to long lengths to change their luck. Bellinger recalled how he busted out of a lengthy slump at Double-A Tulsa in 2016.

“Showered with my jersey on,” he said. “It did work. I ended up having a really good year.”

New York trailed 5-3 in the seventh when Aaron Judge singled with two outs off Yariel Rodríguez, who had just relieved. Bellinger drove a low splitter off the top of the right-center wall and into the Yankees bullpen for a two-run homer that tied the score.

Grisham pinch hit and walked, and Chisholm sliced a slider down the left-field line. He watched and leaned as the ball clanked off the foul pole.

“I was trying to steer it with my mind,” he said.

Chisholm flipped his bat, turned to teammates in the dugout and pounded his chest, then made a basketball jump shot motion as he rounded the bases. He raised his batting average to .237.

“He was missing pitches that he usually hits,” manager Aaron Boone said, “and now you're seeing it come to its level a little bit.”

Boone accepts the sartorial strangeness.

“I think he looks great, especially when his uni's dirty and he's running around the bases,” the manager said. “So, whatever he's got to do.”

Given the 7-5 lead, David Bednar hung on in the ninth after allowing pinch-hitter Jesús Sánchez's RBI double. Toronto had two on and one out when Bednar struck out George Springer, then retired Vladimir Guerrero Jr. on a grounder to Chisholm.

Chisholm doesn't have to look for Stanton's pants anymore. Equipment manager Rob Cucuzza is leaving him the capacious Stanton trousers.

“They have my name on them now,” Chisholm said.

AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr., center, reacts after hitting an RBI double during the third inning of a baseball game against the New York Mets, Friday, May 15, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr., center, reacts after hitting an RBI double during the third inning of a baseball game against the New York Mets, Friday, May 15, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. reacts after hitting a double during the second inning of a baseball game against the New York Mets, Saturday, May 16, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. reacts after hitting a double during the second inning of a baseball game against the New York Mets, Saturday, May 16, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. celebrates his two-run home run in the dugout during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. celebrates his two-run home run in the dugout during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. reacts after hitting a two-run home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. reacts after hitting a two-run home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. looks after his two-run home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

New York Yankees' Jazz Chisholm Jr. looks after his two-run home run during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays, Monday, May 18, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

BUNIA, Congo (AP) — The World Health Organization director-general openly worried Tuesday over the “scale and speed” of an outbreak of a rare type of Ebola in eastern Congo, where authorities reported a sharp increase in suspected deaths — to at least 131 — and more than 500 suspected cases.

The virus spread undetected for weeks after the first known death as authorities tested for a more common type of Ebola and came up negative, health experts and aid workers said. The Bundibugyo virus has no approved medicines or vaccines.

Congo’s health minister, Samuel Roger Kamba, said that investigations were underway to determine whether the deaths and 513 suspected cases were “actually linked to the disease.”

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said he is “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,” adding that the U.N. health agency will convene its emergency committee later Tuesday. He pointed to the emergence of cases in urban areas, the deaths of healthcare workers and significant population movement.

WHO has declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, requiring a coordinated response. Resources were being rushed to the two affected provinces near the border with Uganda, which has reported one death in a person who traveled from Congo.

The head of the WHO team in Congo said that authorities haven’t identified “patient zero” in the outbreak.

Dr. Anne Ancia also said the Erbevo vaccine, used against a different type of Ebola, was among those being considered for possible use. But even if that or another is approved, it would take two months to become available.

For now, Ancia said, neither the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention nor the Africa Centers for Disease Control were on the ground, but others were, including Doctors Without Borders and the Red Cross.

She said that she expected a long road ahead: “I don’t see that in two months we will be done with this outbreak.”

Inside Congo, cases have been confirmed in the capital of Ituri province, Bunia; North Kivu’s rebel-held capital, Goma; and the localities of Mongbwalu, Nyakunde and Butembo — home to well over a million people in all.

Dr. Peter Stafford, an American doctor, is among the Bunia cases, said Serge, the Christian organization that he works for. He had been treating patients at a hospital. Three other Serge employees were working there, including Stafford’s wife, but weren't showing symptoms.

Congo has said the first person died from the virus on April 24 in Bunia, and the body was repatriated to the Mongbwalu health zone, a mining area with a large population.

“That caused the Ebola outbreak to escalate,” said Kamba, the health minister.

When another person fell ill on April 26, samples were sent to Congo's capital, Kinshasa, for testing, according to the Africa CDC. Bunia is more than 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) away in a country with some of the world's worst infrastructure.

Samples from Bunia were initially tested for the more common type of Ebola, Zaire, Congolese officials said. They came back negative, said Dr. Richard Kitenge, the health ministry incident manager for Ebola, and local authorities assumed that it wasn't the virus.

Only laboratories in Kinshasa and Goma, which is now controlled by the Rwanda-backed M23 rebel group, have the capacity to test for the Bundibugyo virus.

Benjamin Mbonimpa, M23's permanent secretary, told reporters on Sunday that the rebel government had established entry and exit points in the city and would take responsibility for funeral services in the event of continued spread.

“Our priority is to protect the population within our jurisdiction, and we urge people to resume their daily activities,” he said.

On May 5, WHO was alerted of about 50 deaths in Mongbwalu, including four health workers. The first confirmation of Ebola came on May 14.

“Our surveillance system didn't work,” said Jean-Jaques Muyembe, a virologist at the National Institute of Bio-Medical Research.

“The Bunia laboratory ... should have continued searching and sent the samples to the national laboratory. Something went wrong there. That’s why we ended up in this catastrophic situation,” he said, adding that members of parliament and senators were aware “there were deaths and nothing was being said.”

Matthew M. Kavanagh, director of the Georgetown University Center for Global Health Policy and Politics, criticized the Trump administration’s earlier decision to withdraw from WHO and make deep cuts in foreign aid — “the exact surveillance system meant to catch these viruses early,” he said.

The U.S. State Department pushed aside criticism on Monday, saying it sprang into action immediately and has provided $13 million in assistance for the response.

Ebola is highly contagious and can be contracted via bodily fluids such as vomit, blood or semen. The disease it causes is rare but severe and often fatal. During an outbreak more than a decade ago that killed more than 11,000 people, many were infected while washing bodies during community funerals.

“Ebola is very much a disease of compassion in that it impacts the people who are more likely to be taking care of sick folks,” said Dr. Craig Spencer, an associate professor at the Brown University School of Public Health who survived Ebola more than a decade ago after contracting it in Guinea.

Ebola causes fever, headache, muscle pain, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain and unexplained bleeding or bruising.

The severity of the symptoms and the rising caseload were fueling growing panic in Bunia neighborhoods.

“I know the consequences of Ebola, I know what it’s like,” resident Noëla Lumo said. She previously lived in Beni, a region hit by former outbreaks. When she heard about the latest one, she began making protective masks by hand.

Eastern Congo long has grappled with a humanitarian crisis and the threat of armed groups that have killed dozens and displaced thousands in Ituri in the past year. Ituri already had more than 273,000 displaced people out of a population of 1.9 million, according to the U.N.

U.N. staff have been asked to work from home and avoid physical contact and crowded areas, said a Bunia-based U.N. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak publicly on the subject.

The most important challenge is breaking the virus transmission chain, Muyembe said.

“Of the 17 epidemics we have experienced in (Congo), 15 were brought under control simply by applying public health measures,” he said. “The disease is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids. If you avoid this contact, you break the chain of transmission and the epidemic stops.”

Monika Pronczuk reported from Dakar, Senegal. AP writers Jamey Keaten in Geneva, Constant Same Bagalwa in Bunia, Congo and Wilson McMakin in Dakar contributed.

For more on Africa and development: https://apnews.com/hub/africa-pulse

The Associated Press receives financial support for global health and development coverage in Africa from the Gates Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.

A woman wearing a protective mask stands in the corridor of a hospital in Bunia, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/ Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

A woman wearing a protective mask stands in the corridor of a hospital in Bunia, Congo, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP Photo/ Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)

Recommended Articles