Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

NATO's top officer doesn't expect more American drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops Trump announced

News

NATO's top officer doesn't expect more American drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops Trump announced
News

News

NATO's top officer doesn't expect more American drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops Trump announced

2026-05-20 03:43 Last Updated At:03:51

BRUSSELS (AP) — NATO’s top military officer said Tuesday that he doesn't expect any more drawdowns of American troops from Europe — at least not anytime soon — beyond the 5,000 that U.S. President Donald Trump announced would leave the continent.

The remarks by U.S. Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich follow Trump's surprise announcement of the move early this month. The U.S. leader has bickered with allies over the Iran war and called for changes.

The Pentagon later said it would draw down thousands of troops in Europe by canceling deployments to Poland and Germany as opposed to yanking out forces already stationed there.

“It will be 5,000 troops coming out of Europe,” Grynkewich told reporters at NATO headquarters in Brussels, where top officers from across the 32-nation military organization were meeting. “lt’s all that I’m expecting in the near term.”

Trump was notably angry at Germany, after Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the United States was being “humiliated” by the Iranian leadership and criticized what he called a lack of U.S. strategy in the war.

Initially it was thought that more cuts might be coming and Grynkewich’s remarks could allay those fears.

Trump’s announcement blindsided NATO allies and came despite U.S. promises to coordinate military moves with its allies and avoid creating security gaps.

Some 4,000 troops from the Army’s 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division are no longer being deployed to Poland as planned, and the deployment to Germany of personnel trained to fire long-range rockets and missiles has been halted. Much of the detail is still being worked out.

Also, some U.S. troops from the brigade bound for Poland were told not to get on a plane to Europe shortly before departure, The Associated Press reported on Friday.

But about 1,000 soldiers and 1,700 pieces of equipment from that brigade had already arrived in Europe shortly before their deployment was canceled, a U.S. military official told The Associated Press on Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss military deployments.

Grynkewich said that he spoke earlier in the day to military chiefs from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland about “some of the options and how we might array capabilities on the eastern flank," along NATO's border with Russia.

The cancelation of U.S. troop deployment to Poland affects deployments to the Baltic states because some U.S. troops based in the Baltics, including Estonia, were supposed to come from the brigade meant to arrive in Poland, said Jonatan Vseviov, secretary-general at Estonia’s Foreign Ministry.

He described the development as “a hiccup,” but one which “in and of itself is not going to collapse NATO deterrence in the Baltic states.”

Alluding to the sudden decision to pull troops, Estonia’s Defense Minister Hanno Pevkur told Estonian media on Tuesday that “there is not much information," about what is happening.

“What we do know is that U.S. forces are in Estonia, and will remain there," he said, adding that, “no one has told me that any kind of lowering of the U.S. flag in Estonia is going to happen.”

Lithuania’s Foreign Minister Kęstutis Budrys, told the AP that the deployment of 1,000 U.S. troops to Lithuania is also linked to the deployment of the canceled rotation. He said he viewed any issues connected to the deployment to be a “technical issue,” which hopefully will be resolved with U.S. troops remaining in Lithuania.

The U.S. military official said officials are looking at how to bridge any gaps in the Baltic nations with other forces that are already deployed in Europe.

Grynkewich insisted that security in Europe would not be compromised but warned European allies should expect more drawdowns in coming years.

“Over the long term, we absolutely should expect additional redeployments as Europe continues to build capability and capacity and step up to provide more of the conventional defense of Europe,” Grynkewich said.

“It’s going to be an ongoing process for several years,” he said, but added: “We’re going to stay well-synchronized with our allies moving forward."

Burrows reported from Tallinn, Estonia.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz attends a joint press conference with President of the Swiss Confederation Guy Parmelin, not pictured, at the chancellory in Berlin, Germany, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz attends a joint press conference with President of the Swiss Confederation Guy Parmelin, not pictured, at the chancellory in Berlin, Germany, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)

President Donald Trump speaks as he tours Ballroom construction around the outside the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

President Donald Trump speaks as he tours Ballroom construction around the outside the White House, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

Southampton was expelled from the Championship playoffs on Tuesday after admitting to repeatedly spying on opponents.

The English Football League reinstated Middlesbrough to play in the Wembley final — the richest game in soccer — against Hull City on Saturday. The winner gets promoted to the Premier League.

Southampton was charged earlier this month for the unauthorized filming of Middlesbrough’s practice sessions ahead of their semifinal. It went on to win the two-legged tie to go within one game of promotion to the top flight.

The league said the southcoast club had subsequently admitted further breaches this season concerning games against Oxford United and Ipswich. It was also deducted four points for next season.

“Southampton has a right to appeal the commission’s decision in accordance with EFL regulations and the parties are working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May. Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture,” the league said.

The league said Southampton admitted breaches requiring clubs to act with the "utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.”

It said the final was still due to go ahead as planned, despite disruption caused by Middlesbrough’s late reinstatement.

The playoff final is labeled the world’s richest one-off soccer match because a windfall of at least $270 million in future earnings is on offer for the winning team.

Promotion to the top flight of English soccer — the world’s wealthiest and most-watched league — brings with it access to its multibillion dollar global broadcast deals as well as sold out stadiums for games against the biggest teams in the world like Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Southampton was relegated from the Premier League after finishing bottom of the standings last season and was aiming to make an immediate return.

The stunning decision to expel it from the final comes after Leeds was previously punished for spying.

In 2019, the EFL fined Leeds $259,000 for spying on one of Derby’s training sessions ahead of a game.

Marcelo Bielsa, who was manager of Leeds at the time, accepted responsibility for having a club employee spy on Derby’s practice. In a detailed, hour-long news conference, Bielsa later admitted to having watched at least one of each of his opponents’ training sessions.

In handing out that fine, the EFL said Leeds’ conduct “fell significantly short of the standards expected by the EFL and must not be repeated.”

The Southampton incident has echoes of Canada's Olympic women's soccer team which was penalized for flying drones over New Zealand’s closed practice sessions ahead of the teams’ match at the Paris Games in 2024.

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

Middlesbrough manager Kim Hellberg reacts after the final whistle at the final whistle in the EFL Championship play off semifinal soccer game between Southampton and Middlesbrough, Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in, Southampton, England. (Andrew Matthews/PA via AP, File)

Middlesbrough manager Kim Hellberg reacts after the final whistle at the final whistle in the EFL Championship play off semifinal soccer game between Southampton and Middlesbrough, Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in, Southampton, England. (Andrew Matthews/PA via AP, File)

FILE - Southampton's coach Tonda Eckert, left, talks to his players during the FA Cup semifinal soccer match between Manchester City and Southampton in Manchester, England, Saturday, April 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File)

FILE - Southampton's coach Tonda Eckert, left, talks to his players during the FA Cup semifinal soccer match between Manchester City and Southampton in Manchester, England, Saturday, April 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File)

FILE - Southampton's coach Tonda Eckert reacts during the FA Cup semifinal soccer match between Manchester City and Southampton in Manchester, England, Saturday, April 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File(

FILE - Southampton's coach Tonda Eckert reacts during the FA Cup semifinal soccer match between Manchester City and Southampton in Manchester, England, Saturday, April 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File(

Southampton's Ross Stewart, top, scores their first goal of the game during the EFL Championship play off semifinal soccer game between Southampton and Middlesbrough, Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in, Southampton, England. (Andrew Matthews/PA via AP)

Southampton's Ross Stewart, top, scores their first goal of the game during the EFL Championship play off semifinal soccer game between Southampton and Middlesbrough, Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in, Southampton, England. (Andrew Matthews/PA via AP)

Recommended Articles