Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

China-Russia trade ties maintain strong momentum

China

China

China

China-Russia trade ties maintain strong momentum

2026-05-20 17:37 Last Updated At:19:17

Despite global economic uncertainty, the economic and trade cooperation between China and Russia is maintaining strong momentum of continued growth in 2026, showing remarkable resilience and robust vitality, according to the Chinese Ministry of Commerce.

Latest figures from the ministry show bilateral trade reached 61.2 billion U.S. dollars in the first quarter, up 14.7 percent year-on-year.

In the first three months, China's exports to Russia climbed 22 percent, while imports from Russia rose 9 percent over the same period of last year.

The strong start follows a record year in 2025, when bilateral trade totaled 227.9 billion U.S.dollars. It marked the third straight year that trade volume exceeded the 200-billion-dollar mark.

China has also remained Russia's largest trading partner for 16 consecutive years.

Officials from the Ministry of Commerce said the trade structure between the two countries is becoming more diversified and higher in quality.

High-tech products and machinery now account for a growing share of China-Russia trade. Chinese-made automobiles and home appliances are seeing rising demand in the Russian market, while Russian energy, mineral resources and agricultural products continue to supply the Chinese market steadily.

China-Russia trade ties maintain strong momentum

China-Russia trade ties maintain strong momentum

The U.S. Department of War announced on Tuesday that it has reduced the total number of Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) assigned to Europe from four to three, returning to the levels seen in 2021.

This decision was the result of a comprehensive, multi-layered process focused on U.S. force posture in Europe, and it results in a temporary delay in the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, the statement said.

Speaking at a White House press briefing the same day, Vice President J.D. Vance pushed back against media reports that the government had canceled a plan this month to send more than 4,000 troops to Poland, referring to the move as "just a standard delay in rotation" that is aimed at encouraging Europe to "take more ownership over its own territorial integrity."

In a May 2 interview, President Trump said the United States intends to "cut way down" its troop numbers in Germany, describing reductions that would go "a lot further" than the 5,000 personnel the Pentagon had announced a day earlier. Critics argued that the withdrawals are meant to punish NATO allies that did not join the U.S. military operations against Iran.

U.S. Department of War reduces Brigade Combat Teams in Europe

U.S. Department of War reduces Brigade Combat Teams in Europe

U.S. Department of War reduces Brigade Combat Teams in Europe

U.S. Department of War reduces Brigade Combat Teams in Europe

Recommended Articles