Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Officers who defended Capitol from rioters sue to block payouts from $1.8B ‘anti-weaponization’ fund

News

Officers who defended Capitol from rioters sue to block payouts from $1.8B ‘anti-weaponization’ fund
News

News

Officers who defended Capitol from rioters sue to block payouts from $1.8B ‘anti-weaponization’ fund

2026-05-21 08:27 Last Updated At:08:30

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two police officers who helped defend the U.S. Capitol from an attack by a mob of President Donald Trump's supporters sued on Wednesday to block anyone — including Jan. 6, 2021, rioters — from receiving payouts from a new $1.776 billion settlement fund for people who claim to be victims of politically motivated prosecutions.

The officers' attorneys filed the federal lawsuit a day after acting Attorney General Todd Blanche defended the fund's creation during a congressional hearing. Blanche, a personal attorney for Trump before joining the Justice Department, wouldn't rule out the possibility that rioters who assaulted police on Jan. 6 would be eligible for fund payouts.

More Images
FILE - Trump supporters gather outside the Capitol, Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Trump supporters gather outside the Capitol, Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Violent protesters gather outside the U.S. Capitol, Jan 6, 2021. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

FILE - Violent protesters gather outside the U.S. Capitol, Jan 6, 2021. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

FILE - Trump supporters try to break through a police barrier, Jan. 6, 2021, at the Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Trump supporters try to break through a police barrier, Jan. 6, 2021, at the Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Rioters storm the West Front of the U.S. Capitol Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Rioters storm the West Front of the U.S. Capitol Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

The lawsuit claims the government's “Anti-Weaponization Fund" is an illegal slush fund that Trump will use to “finance the insurrectionists and paramilitary groups that commit violence in his name.” It describes the fund's creation as "the most brazen act of presidential corruption this century" and calls for dissolving it.

“No statute authorizes its creation, the settlement on which it is premised is a corrupt sham, and its design violates the Constitution and federal law,” the suit says.

The fund stems from a settlement of Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS over the leak of his tax returns. It’s designed to compensate those who believe they were mistreated by prior administrations’ Justice Department. Decisions on payouts will be made by a five-member commission appointed by the attorney general.

More than 100 police officers were injured during the Capitol riot. Nearly 1,600 people were charged with Jan. 6-related crimes, but Trump used his pardon powers to erase all of those cases in a sweeping act of clemency last year.

The plaintiffs suing Trump over the fund are Metropolitan Police Department officer Daniel Hodges and former U.S. Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn, who is running in Maryland for a seat in Congress. Hodges and Dunn both testified before Congress about their harrowing experiences on Jan. 6. Videos captured a rioter ripping a mask off Hodges as he was pinned against a door during a fight for control of a tunnel entrance.

The officers claim the fund “encourages those who enacted violence in the President’s name to continue to do so.”

“Dunn and Hodges already face credible threats of death and violence on regular basis; the Fund substantially increases the danger,” the suit alleges.

A commission, whose members will be chosen by Blanche but have not yet been announced, will be charged with deciding who gets paid and how much.

Blanche said in a CNN interview on Wednesday that the board will have to consider the person's actions, among other factors, when deciding whether to give them money. But the attorney general added: “Whether the commissioners will give that person money — that claimant — it’s up to them.”

Blanche said “it’s abhorrent” to harm law enforcement, but added that “people that hurt police get money all the time” from suing the government. He dismissed backlash to the fund as “fake outrage.”

Blanche and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent also are named as defendants in the officers’ lawsuit. Spokespeople for the Justice and Treasury departments didn't immediately respond to requests for comment on the suit.

One of the attorneys for the officers is Brendan Ballou, a former Justice Department prosecutor who handled Jan. 6 cases.

Associated Press reporter Jonathan Cooper in Phoenix contributed to this report.

This story has been corrected to reflect that nearly 1,600 people, not over 1,600, were charged with Jan. 6-related crimes.

FILE - Trump supporters gather outside the Capitol, Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Trump supporters gather outside the Capitol, Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Violent protesters gather outside the U.S. Capitol, Jan 6, 2021. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

FILE - Violent protesters gather outside the U.S. Capitol, Jan 6, 2021. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

FILE - Trump supporters try to break through a police barrier, Jan. 6, 2021, at the Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Trump supporters try to break through a police barrier, Jan. 6, 2021, at the Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Rioters storm the West Front of the U.S. Capitol Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

FILE - Rioters storm the West Front of the U.S. Capitol Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Athletics right-hander Gunnar Hoglund won’t pitch this season as he recovers from hip surgery.

The team announced Wednesday that Hoglund underwent surgery a day earlier at The Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado. The Athletics said Dr. Marc Philippon performed a hip labral repair and cartilage debridement.

“It’s just unfortunate for him,” A’s manager Mark Kotsay said before Wednesday night’s game against the Los Angeles Angels. “He’s done everything he possibly can to be on the field. You go through rehab like he’s gone through, they’re trying times. I’ve been there with my back. I had a second surgery as well.

“There’s still optimism — you just have to believe — and that’s the conversation I had with Gunnar, that as hard as it seems right now, the work that you put into rehab … you know the challenges, you've got to put your head down and grind, believe you’re gonna get back and give yourself a chance to continue your career.”

Hoglund went 1-3 with a 6.40 ERA in six starts last year as a 25-year-old rookie, but his 2025 season ended in June as he underwent surgery after dealing with left hip impingement. He went on the injured list again in March due to a sprained right knee.

The Toronto Blue Jays selected Hoglund out of Mississippi with the 19th overall pick in the 2021 amateur draft.

AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB

FILE - Athletics pitcher Gunnar Hoglund throws during the first inning of a baseball game against the Los Angeles Angels in West Sacramento, Calif., May 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Nic Coury, File)

FILE - Athletics pitcher Gunnar Hoglund throws during the first inning of a baseball game against the Los Angeles Angels in West Sacramento, Calif., May 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Nic Coury, File)

Recommended Articles