Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Joe Burrow thrilled by Bengals' bold offseason moves, but says he didn't drive them

Sport

Joe Burrow thrilled by Bengals' bold offseason moves, but says he didn't drive them
Sport

Sport

Joe Burrow thrilled by Bengals' bold offseason moves, but says he didn't drive them

2026-05-21 03:34 Last Updated At:03:50

CINCINNATI (AP) — Joe Burrow threw his support behind the Cincinnati Bengals' offseason moves but declined to take any of the credit for them.

Speaking to the Cincinnati media for the first time since the end of the 2025 season, the franchise quarterback praised the free agent signings of safety Bryan Cook, defensive end Boye Mafe and defensive tackle Jonathan Allen, along with the big swing of the offseason, trading the No. 10 pick for defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence.

There was a lot of speculation that the slew of moves was the result of pressure applied by Burrow and the front office’s attempt to keep him happy, especially after the quarterback public pressed the team after the 2024 season to sign tight end Mike Gesicki and wide receivers Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins to extensions.

But Burrow said there were no threats or mandates from him after the team went 6-11 last year and missed the playoffs for the third straight season.

“I would say we had a lot of communication during free agency,” Burrow said. “We didn’t have our postseason meeting like we typically have. I would say if anything, I was less involved this year than in years past.”

Regardless of how much influence Burrow had or didn’t have on this offseason, he appears to be happy with the results.

“This is the most talented roster we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Burrow said. “The front office has taken a lot of heat from the fans, the public, the media. We can put all of that behind us.

“They went and made it happen with free agency,” he added. “ And then obviously with Dexter, making a trade like that, that doesn’t happen a ton in the NFL. So it’s exciting to see.”

Burrow said the absence of his regular postseason meeting with the front office wasn’t intentional, nor was it a reflection of any anger or frustration with how poorly constructed the 2025 roster was with one of the league’s best offenses and worst defenses.

“Just kind of how it happened,” he said.

And it wasn’t as though the front office needed to meet with Burrow to know where he stood. The fixes needed were obvious.

“I just think we know where we needed to be better, and we went out and aggressively made it happen,” Burrow said. “We filled some holes that we had from years past, got better at a lot of positions. Signed the best free agent safety (Cook). Got the best D tackle in the league, in my opinion. So we have everything we need in that locker room. We just have to go make it happen.

“There’s no secret that the last several years didn’t go the way we wanted to, and there’s a lot of blame to go around for that, myself included,” Burrow continued. “We’re in a great spot this year. We brought in great people and great players. You can feel the vibes of the locker room. The energy is elevated right now. We have some veteran guys that can come in and show the younger guys on defense what it takes, what it means to be great every day. That’s exciting to be a part of.”

All that’s left to do is transfer that potential to the field and get back to the playoffs for the first time since 2022.

Burrow is already expecting that to happen.

“The number one thing is you have to win," Burrow said. "We’re going to go win a lot of games this year and play great and win a Super Bowl.”

AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow throws during NFL football practice, Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Jeff Dean)

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow throws during NFL football practice, Tuesday, May 12, 2026, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Jeff Dean)

Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow talks to the media following the NFL football team's practice in Cincinnati, Wednesday, May 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Ben Jackson)

Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow talks to the media following the NFL football team's practice in Cincinnati, Wednesday, May 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Ben Jackson)

Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow talks to the media following the NFL football team's practice in Cincinnati, Wednesday, May 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Ben Jackson)

Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow talks to the media following the NFL football team's practice in Cincinnati, Wednesday, May 20, 2026. (AP Photo/Ben Jackson)

MIAMI (AP) — The Atlanta Braves designated outfielder José Azócar for assignment and activated outfielder Eli White from the seven-day concussion injured list on Wednesday.

Azócar logged 16 plate appearances in nine games since being called up from Triple-A Gwinnett on May 12. He hit .333 with two doubles and a stolen base.

White wasn't in Atlanta's lineup for Wednesday's game against the Miami Marlins, but manager Walt Weiss said he was available if needed.

“It's good to have him back," Weiss said. "The last time we saw him on the field, he was making a game-saving catch running into the wall in LA. So it's nice having two guys on the bench at the same time with what I call game-changing speed, him and (Jorge) Mateo.”

White banged hard into the right-field wall while catching Max Muncy’s long drive in the sixth inning of a 7-2 win over the Dodgers on May 10. He was replaced by Mike Yastrzemski and put in concussion protocol.

AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB

Atlanta Braves' José Azócar slides into home in the fifth inning of a baseball game against the Boston Red Sox Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson)

Atlanta Braves' José Azócar slides into home in the fifth inning of a baseball game against the Boston Red Sox Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson)

Recommended Articles