Trade volume between China and Russia surged 19.7 percent year on year to reach 85.2 billion U.S. dollars during the January-April period, marking a good start to this year, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce said on Thursday.
He Yadong, spokesman for the commerce ministry, said at a regular press briefing that the annual trade between the two countries has exceeded 200 billion U.S. dollars for three consecutive years.
The ministry and relevant Russian authorities have signed cooperation documents on trade and support for multilateralism, He said.
The spokesman said the two sides will continue to strengthen communication on economic and trade policies, leverage new quality productive forces to create fresh engines for growth, and upgrade trade in goods and services.
"The annual trade volume between China and Russia has exceeded 200 billion U.S. dollars for three consecutive years. Trade between the two countries got off to a good start this year as the trade volume during the January-April period reached 85.2 billion U.S. dollars, up 19.7 percent year on year. As the upgraded China-Russia agreement on promotion and reciprocal protection of investments has officially come into effect, investment and cooperation in industrial and supply chains between the two countries are set to see continuous improvements with deepening sub-national cooperation. Not long ago, the two heads of state sent congratulatory letters to the 10th China-Russia Expo, fully demonstrating their deep expectations for strengthening local cooperation between the two countries," He said.
"Next, the commerce ministry will earnestly implement the important consensus reached by the two heads of state, and work to improve and upgrade bilateral economic and trade cooperation to lay a solid foundation for the development of the China-Russia comprehensive strategic partnership of coordination for the new era. The two sides will also enhance mutual collaboration in multilateral and regional cooperation, jointly contributing to safeguarding a fair and reasonable international economic order," He said.
China-Russia trade up 19.7 pct in Jan-April
The United Nations Security Council on Wednesday called on all parties to conflict to comply with their obligations under international law to protect civilians.
The call came as the Security Council held its annual day-long open debate on the protection of civilians in armed conflict. At the debate, the Security Council was briefed that while civilians continue to suffer because parties to the conflict choose to ignore their legal obligation to protect them, adhering to the rules of war and enforcing accountability when they are broken can produce a different result.
Edem Wosornu, director of the Crisis Response Division in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said one civilian was killed approximately every 14 minutes in 2025.
"Protecting civilians in armed conflict is not charity. It is the minimum that humanity and civilian civilization require. It is central to peace and security. It is the responsibility of this Council and of every Member State that signed the United Nations Charter, and it is what many people around the world expect the Member States of the United Nations to do. It cannot be outsourced. It cannot be postponed. It cannot be diluted. It is the choice we have to make now," said Wosornu.
The United Nations recorded over 37,000 civilian deaths across 20 armed conflicts last year, compared to the 36,000 civilian deaths recorded across 14 armed conflicts in 2024.
Addressing the debate, Mirjana Spoljaric, president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, said "Wars fought without rules transform wars between combatants into wars against civilians. In recent weeks, I have undertaken several missions to the Middle East, where the impact of conflict on civilians is painfully clear. But brutal patterns of warfare are becoming pervasive across regions from the Middle East to the Horn of Africa, to eastern Europe, and beyond. We can no longer pretend that what we are witnessing across war zones is in accordance with the law."
Fu Cong, China's permanent representative to the United Nations, said at the debate that civilians are the biggest victims of armed conflict, underlining the need to promote the political settlement of hotspot issues and eliminate the threat of violence to security.
It is an obligation that all parties must fulfill in accordance with international humanitarian law, he said, adding that any double standards or selective application are unacceptable.
"The world today is rife with turmoil and escalating conflicts, claiming countless innocent lives and tearing families apart. The secretary-general's report indicates that more than 20 conflicts worldwide this year have resulted in at least 37,000 civilian deaths and displaced over 100 million people. This harsh reality once again warns us that we must act with greater urgency and stronger measures to protect civilians," said Fu.
UN Security Council calls on all parties to conflict to protect civilians