Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

EU to suspend key fertilizer tariffs

China

China

China

EU to suspend key fertilizer tariffs

2026-05-23 15:33 Last Updated At:16:27

The Council of the European Union (EU) announced on Friday a one-year suspension of customs duties on key nitrogen-based fertilizers such as urea and ammonia, aiming to alleviate the impact of the Middle East crisis on EU farmers.

The blocked passage of the Strait of Hormuz, forced by the United States-Israel military operations against Iran, has disrupted about one-third of global fertilizer trade, driving up prices sharply. In April, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations warned that a prolonged blockade could trigger an agrifood catastrophe.

The measure is expected to save EU farmers and the fertilizer industry about 60 million euros (69.6 million U.S. dollars) in import duties, according to the Council's statement.

The tariff suspension does not apply to fertilizer products imported from Russia or Belarus. The measure will take effect on the day after its publication in the EU's Official Journal.

Currently, the EU already imports large volumes of fertilizers duty-free from countries with preferential access, but a significant volume still enters with tariff rates ranging from 5.5 to 6.5 percent.

To balance the interests of EU producers, the Council said the tariff exemption will be subject to a quota, set at the volume of most-favored-nation imports in 2024 plus 20 percent of the volumes imported from Russia and Belarus in the same year.

In 2024, the EU imported 2 million tons of ammonia and 5.9 million tons of urea, mainly used for nitrogen-based fertilizer production. Additionally, the bloc imported 6.7 million tons of nitrogen-based fertilizers and mixtures containing nitrogen.

EU to suspend key fertilizer tariffs

EU to suspend key fertilizer tariffs

The European Union (EU) Council on Friday announced its decision to expand the legal framework for sanctions against Iran, incorporating actions that threaten freedom of navigation in the Middle East as a new ground for restrictive measures.

In a statement released the same day, the EU Council said the revision builds upon existing EU restrictive measures against Iran.

Under the updated framework, the EU can impose sanctions on individuals and entities that participate in or support Iranian actions and policies deemed to threaten maritime security in the region.

The measures include travel bans, asset freezes, and a ban on EU citizens and companies supplying funds, financial assets, or economic resources to those listed.

Iran has so far not responded to the matter.

Earlier on Saturday, Iran's newly established Persian Gulf Strait Authority, the body now responsible for managing the Strait of Hormuz, reaffirmed Iran's scope of management and supervision over the Strait of Hormuz in a social media post, insisting that vessels must coordinate with and receive approval from Iranian authorities for passage.

The Navy of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) said on Thursday that 31 vessels, including oil tankers, container ships and commercial vessels, had crossed the Strait of Hormuz within the past 24 hours in coordination with and under the protection of its forces, according to a statement published in the IRGC's official news outlet Sepah News.

EU warns of broader sanctions on Iran over navigation threats in Middle East

EU warns of broader sanctions on Iran over navigation threats in Middle East

Recommended Articles