The U.S. track and field Olympic trials will return to Eugene, Oregon, leaving Los Angeles on the sideline weeks before it hosts the 2028 Summer Games.
The trials, set for June 17-22, 2028, will be the sixth straight held at Hayward Field on the University of Oregon campus, which has adopted the nickname “TrackTown USA." It has proven over decades to be America's only consistently viable host for big-time track events.
The six-day schedule will be different from past trials, which usually spanned two weekends, with a couple of off days in the middle. Those six days will not include selection for the decathlon, heptathlon or the 10,000 meters, all of which will be held earlier in the spring — at locations still to be determined — to allow for additional recovery.
The Olympics begin July 14, with the track meet starting the next day; this marks the first time track will cover the opening days of the Games since 1968.
Some athletes complain about the cost of traveling to and staying in a metro area of around 400,000, but USA Track and Field CEO Max Siegel said Eugene's “record of success in selecting America’s best track and field athletes speaks for itself.”
He said U.S. athletes have won 52 gold medals in athletics since 2008, when Eugene's streak of hosting trials began.
The decision to keep the string going comes as something of a surprise, however. There was a thought that the LA Coliseum, which will host the Olympic track meet, would make for a perfect host for the trials, though there were issues involved with holding two major events in such a short period.
Other LA venues include UCLA's Drake Stadium, which is serving as an Olympic training site; and what was known as the Mount SAC Stadium in nearby Walnut. That stadium was awarded the 2020 trials, but they were moved to Eugene after issues arose over renovations of the venue. Those trials were ultimately held in 2021 at Hayward.
Hayward Field also hosted world championships in 2022 and the U.S. track nationals 10 times, including last year, and will do so again in 2027.
See AP’s full sports coverage here
FILE - Distance runners round the track at Hayward Field during the Prefontaine Classic track and field meet in Eugene, Ore., June 8, 2008. (AP Photo/Don Ryan, file)
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump says vandals are to blame for large swaths of dead grass on the National Mall near the World War II Memorial — in the spot where he had a stage built and hosted crowds for his July 4 celebration.
Trump made the accusation in a social media post on Sunday without saying why he believes it's the work of vandals instead of trampled turf from the Independence Day festivities. The Republican president posted a photo showing a once-grassy area by the World War II Memorial, now patchy and brown across much of the sprawling turf.
“Look what VANDALS did to the grass connecting the vandalized World War II Monument and the vandalized Reflecting Pool, which will be opened again, and better than ever, shortly,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform.
“Anybody who thinks the Reflecting Pool wasn’t vandalized should go back to Law School!” he added.
Trump has repeatedly blamed vandals for damage to his renovation projects in the nation's capital, often without evidence and sometimes despite opposing accounts from his officials. Trump lashed out at U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro this month after her office concluded that damage to the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool was the result of poor construction and not the work of vandals, as Trump claimed.
The photo Trump posted matches what you'd expect to see with a large summer event, according to Penn State University turf professor John Kaminski.
“Nothing in the photograph clearly indicates vandalism. Jumping to that conclusion seems like a fairly large leap, although it is impossible to rule anything in or out,” he said.
Bradley S. Klein, a freelance journalist and golf course consultant, said the president's post didn't make clear what the problem was in detail.
“He sounds like every grumpy golfer who’s complaining about their golf course and actually has no idea what it takes to maintain it on a day-to-day basis,” he said.
Messages seeking more information were left with the National Park Service and the Department of the Interior.
Authorities on Friday announced an arrest in connection with vandalism at the World War II Memorial, after the words “Clean hands dirty $” were found painted on the monument and bubbles filled a fountain. Pirro said felony charges were being brought against Melissa L. Farris, who was in custody and couldn't be reached for comment.
A woman identified on her Facebook page as Melissa Lovewell on Thursday posted a video in which she is seen taking cans of spray paint from her bag and then painting the monument. “I will wait here to be arrested for spraying our veterans’ fountain,” she says. “It was me. I’m doing it. It’s on camera.”
The woman was identified by her Kentucky driver’s license as Melissa L. Farris, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, an arrest warrant says.
Charging documents in that case make no mention of the grassy area Trump is highlighting in his new claims. Authorities said Farris had previously been arrested for camping on federal property a few blocks from the World War II Memorial, but not the area cited by Trump.
That stretch of lawn is instead where a large stage was built and crowds gathered to hear from Trump and watch fireworks at a July 4 event celebrating the nation's 250th anniversary. Trump claimed without providing evidence that more than 400,000 people attended the event before a storm hit the area and delayed his remarks.
Photos from the time, taken by a streaming webcam atop the Washington Monument, show a large bandstand and seating areas covering nearly the entire lawn Trump now says has been vandalized. Associated Press photos from the days that followed showed workers removing the structures, revealing brown, damaged grass underneath.
On Aug. 1, Trump posted a different photo of the same area that appears to show the numbers “86 47” — which federal officials have said constitutes a threat against Trump, the 47th president — emblazoned into the grass. He cited it as evidence refuting Pirro's conclusion, calling it “a pure case of VANDALISM, that included the grass.”
“There may have been some contractor difficulty, but the major damage was caused by VANDALS!” he wrote.
Those numbers are not visible in the photo Trump posted to social media on Sunday.
FILE - Workers dismantle structures from Salute to America, an Independence Day event honoring the nation's 250th anniversary, as seen from the Washington Monument, on July 10, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, File)