Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and visiting U.S. President Donald Trump's son-in-law and envoy Jared Kushner agreed on Monday to establish two working groups to advance the demilitarization of Gaza and address infrastructure and public health needs in the war-devastated enclave, according to a statement of Prime Minister's Office.
The statement was published after the two held a meeting in Jerusalem, which was also attended by Nickolay Mladenov, "high representative for Gaza" of the U.S.-led "Board of Peace."
One working group will focus on the disarmament and demilitarization of Gaza, the statement said, noting that Israel and the "Board of Peace" are "determined" that demilitarization be completed before reconstruction begins.
A second group will focus on sanitation, clean water and other public health issues in Gaza, it said.
Earlier this month, Netanyahu said Israel rejects a Gaza peace roadmap plan presented by the "Board of Peace," maintaining that Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed. Israel would never agree to the establishment of a Palestinian state in either the Gaza Strip or the West Bank, he added.
In an interview following his talks with Netanyahu, Kushner said he believed progress might come in as little as 30 days, and expressed hope that some weapons could begin to be removed and that certain tunnels could be filled in within the following 60 to 90 days. He also warned that if Hamas fails to deliver on commitments, Israel will receive stronger support from the United States and other parties.
Kushner noted the U.S. would not allow reconstruction in Gaza before demilitarization is achieved and would not restrict Israel's right to self-defense if it faces an imminent threat.
Kushner arrived in Israel a day after holding talks with Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt, a rare direct meeting as part of efforts to advance the Gaza ceasefire. He described the talks as very cordial but stressing that any understanding must be backed by concrete actions.
On Monday, Khaled Qaddoumi, Hamas' representative in Iran, said that while the group agrees with the Gaza peace plan's broad goals of a ceasefire and ending the war, armed resistance will continue as long as the Israeli occupation exists. Qaddoumi accused Israel of failing to implement ceasefires and questioned whether the United States possesses the ability to force Israel to comply with any agreement.
Trump said on July 30 that the so-called "Board of Peace" had reached an agreement for the "complete disarmament" of Hamas and all other armed groups in Gaza. A 15-point peace plan released the next day called for Hamas to disarm and Israel to withdraw its troops from Gaza in phases.
Hamas said on July 31 that it will only hand over its weapons after the Israeli military withdraws from Gaza.
Netanyahu, Kushner agree to form Gaza demilitarization, public health working groups
