TORONTO (AP) — Indiana Fever guard Kelsey Mitchell sat out the fourth quarter of Tuesday night’s 101-95 win at Toronto because she was overheated, coach Stephanie White said.
The WNBA's second-leading scorer, Mitchell had eight points in the span of less than a minute late in the third quarter to reach 29 points for the game. She then went to the locker room and did not return to the floor at steamy Scotiabank Arena.
“This is two games in a row where we played in really, really hot environments,” White said. “All indications are right now that she was just overheated.”
Mitchell scored 20 points in 36 minutes on Sunday as the Fever needed overtime to win 95-91 at Atlanta.
Last October, Mitchell was sent to a hospital to receive fluids after going to the floor with leg cramps in the third quarter of a 107-98 overtime loss to Las Vegas in the decisive Game 5 of the WNBA semifinal series.
White said she wasn’t aware of any link between Tuesday’s incident and last year's.
Mitchell scored 16 points in the first quarter against the Tempo. She scored at least 20 points for the 20th consecutive game, matching Las Vegas’ A’ja Wilson for the longest such streak in WNBA history.
“She just can get a shot at any time,” White said. “She gets a shot for herself, her gravity creates shots for everybody else. It’s nice to know that you can give her the ball and let her go to work. There aren’t a lot of players that can just create the kinds of shots that she does.”
Mitchell shot 11 for 16 Tuesday and made 4 of 6 from 3-point range. She was 3 for 3 at the free-throw line.
Mitchell came in averaging a career-high 24.2 points per game. Wilson leads the WNBA in scoring at 26.1 points.
Caitlin Clark added 24 points Tuesday in her first visit to Canada as a player as the Fever won their fifth straight and 10th of 12.
Clark and Mitchell have each scored 20 or more in the same game 16 times this season, a WNBA record. Diana Taurasi and Cappie Pondexter did it 15 times with Phoenix in 2008.
See AP’s full WNBA coverage here
Indiana Fever's Kelsey Mitchell (0) scores past the Toronto Tempo defence during the first half of a WNBA basketball game in Toronto on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (Chris Young/The Canadian Press via AP)
Indiana Fever's Kelsey Mitchell (0) drives as Toronto Tempo's Kia Nurse (11) and Marina Mabrey (3) defend during the first half of a WNBA basketball game in Toronto on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (Chris Young/The Canadian Press via AP)
WASHINGTON (AP) — Less than two hours before President Donald Trump was set to impose 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian imports, the United States and Canada reached a deal Tuesday that delays the sanctions, buying time for more negotiations and avoiding for now another strain in already-tense relations between the historic allies.
Trump posted late Tuesday on social media that he had paused the tariffs “based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL!”
Trump’s import taxes would have hit about 5% of what Canada ships to the United States every year, including products ranging from hockey sticks to tongue depressors.
But the political impact would likely have been bigger than the economic one. Canada had threatened to retaliate against any new tariffs with levies of its own, aggravating a trade fight between countries that sold each other $880 billion worth of goods and services last year.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. and Canada are negotiating in an effort to reach a truce on tariffs before a 12:01 a.m. Wednesday deadline set by U.S. President Donald Trump.
If no deal is reached, Trump has threatened to impose 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products, ranging from hockey sticks to tongue depressors.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and Trump have spoken twice by phone in the past two days about the ongoing negotiations, including another call Tuesday afternoon, Carney’s office said, underscoring the last-minute push for a deal.
″We are negotiating,” Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney told reporters Monday, speaking in French. “The negotiations are very intense and delicate. This is not the time to talk about negotiations in public.”
The two countries have wrangled for decades over trade, poking each other over sore spots like Canadian softwood lumber imports and U.S. access to Canada’s protected dairy market.
Somehow they still managed to remain friends, allies and trading partners. Canadian soldiers fought alongside Americans in Afghanistan after 9/11. The 5,525-mile U.S.-Canada border is undefended, and nearly 330,000 people and $2 billion worth of goods cross it every day; 800,000 Canadians live in the United States.
Trump’s approach to dealing with Canada marks an extraordinary departure from the traditionally cooperative relationship between the two countries. Trump has hit Canadian goods with tariffs — in a push to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. — and has repeatedly made inflammatory comments about turning Canada into America’s 51st state.
The Canadian public is fed up. A petition to expel the U.S. ambassador, a Trump ally, has collected nearly 218,000 signatures since July 21. It accuses Ambassador Pete Hoekstra of having “normalized’’ Trump’s talk of annexing Canada, among other complaints.
Nearly 72% of Canada's goods exports last year went to the United States. And the Trump administration might be wary of imposing a hefty new tariff — paid by U.S. importers who try to pass along the cost to consumers via higher prices — ahead of November’s midterm elections. U.S. voters are already frustrated with the high cost of living.
“I don’t think either side really wants these tariffs to come into effect,’’ said Ryan Majerus, a partner at King & Spalding and a former U.S. trade official. “There’s a pretty strong push on both sides to find an off-ramp here.’’
Majerus said the United States is aiming to get Canada to buy more U.S. military equipment, including F-35 fighters; to take part in Trump’s “Golden Dome’’ missile defense; and to give the United States more access to critical minerals, thereby reducing America’s reliance on tenuous supplies from its geopolitical rival, China.
The Canadians would like relief from U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum as well as softwood lumber, which the U.S. says receives unfair government subsidies.
Trump has made tariffs the centerpiece of his second-term economic agenda. Last year, he imposed double-digit import taxes on almost every country, justifying them by declaring the longstanding U.S. trade deficit a national emergency. The Supreme Court in February ruled that he’d overstepped his authority, striking down those tariffs and setting the stage for the federal government to pay refunds to importers.
Trump immediately looked for other ways to rebuild his tariff wall. Last month, he imposed import taxes of 10% to 12.5% on 59 countries and the European Union — which together account for 99% of U.S. imports — for allegedly failing to have or to enforce restrictions on imports made from forced labor.
Then he reached back to the Great Depression to find a cudgel with which to whack Canada.
Trump invoked Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930 to impose 50% tariffs on products that account for about 5% of Canadian exports to the United States.
Nearly a century ago, with the U.S. and world economies in collapse, Congress passed the 1930 tariff law, imposing hefty taxes on imports from around the world. Known as the Smoot-Hawley tariffs, named for their congressional sponsors, they are notorious among economists and historians for limiting world commerce and making the Great Depression worse.
Section 338 tariffs have never been used before. U.S. trade negotiators traditionally have favored another tool, Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 — the provision Trump invoked to impose last month’s forced-labor tariffs.
Section 338 authorizes the president to impose tariffs of up to 50% on imports from countries that have discriminated against U.S. businesses. Unlike Section 301 sanctions, no investigation is required. Nor is there any limit on how long the tariffs can stay in place.
In announcing the Section 338 tariffs, Trump claimed that Canada discriminates against American exports of autos, alcohol and cheese. Trump is angry because Canada and China were the only countries that punched back with retaliatory tariffs of their own when he slapped levies on their products last year.
“If a country retaliates against us, we’re obviously not going to tolerate that,” U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told reporters Friday at the Iowa State Fair. “We’ll take action. My sense is the Canadians, they want to have a more conciliatory approach, but we’ll see.”
The U.S. is renegotiating a North American trade pact — the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement — that Trump strong-armed America’s neighbors into accepting in his first term. The threat of Section 338 tariffs gives the United States leverage to seek fresh concessions from Ottawa.
“From Carney's perspective, you need (USMCA) to be renegotiated," said Christopher Gundermann, a fellow in the economics program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "You can't renegotiate it with a massive trade war going on.''
But the Canadian public’s furor over Trump’s policies may limit Carney’s ability to cut a deal. Canada could retaliate again if the new 50% tariffs take effect, potentially aggravating a trade fight.
Canada’s government “cannot look like it is simply caving to the Trump administration’s demands,’’ said Daniel Béland, a political science professor at McGill University in Montreal.
“Making further concessions without getting something meaningful in exchange would probably lead to a strong backlash ... The risk is for the Carney government to make Canada look weak and, therefore, even more vulnerable to future trade and geopolitical bullying on the part of the Trump administration.”
Dominic LeBlanc, Canada’s minister for U.S. trade, met with Greer on Monday. He was tight-lipped afterward.
“The work is continuing,’’ he said. “We continue to do our job.’’
Gillies reported from Toronto.
Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc makes brief comments to reporters outside the U.S. Department of Commerce following a meeting with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, in Washington, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Kelly Geraldine Malone/The Canadian Press via AP)
United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, center, leaves the U.S. Department of Commerce following a meeting with Canadian officials, in Washington, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (Kelly Geraldine Malone/The Canadian Press via AP)