Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Prince Harry and 6 others must pay initial $13 million over failed invasion of privacy case

ENT

Prince Harry and 6 others must pay initial $13 million over failed invasion of privacy case
ENT

ENT

Prince Harry and 6 others must pay initial $13 million over failed invasion of privacy case

2026-08-21 21:16 Last Updated At:21:20

LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry and six others, including Elton John, have been ordered to pay an initial 9.5 million pounds ($13 million) to the publisher of Britain’s Daily Mail newspaper following their failed invasion of privacy case.

In a judgment Friday, Justice Matthew Nicklin said the payment will be made by Aug. 28.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry and six others, including Elton John, are set to find out Friday how many millions of pounds they will have to pay initially to the publisher of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper following their failed invasion of privacy case.

Following their defeat in a High Court case in London last month alleging malpractice, such as the illegal hacking of phones, the high-profile figures will learn the scale of their exposure to the roughly 34 million pounds ($46 million) in legal costs accumulated by Associated Newspapers Ltd. The losing claimants are believed to be insured for around half that total.

In addition to an initial payment, which could be up to 10 million pounds, they will find out how they will pay the outstanding ​amount.

The publisher had strongly denied the claims made during the 11-week trial in London, which ended on July 7 when Justice Matthew Nicklin said there had been a shortage of evidence to support the claims and found a possibility that the reporting came from legitimate sources.

Nicklin is due to give his decision on the financial implications of that decision in a written statement at 2 p.m.

Associated Newspapers has asked for more than 9.9 million pounds as an interim payment, while lawyers for the claimants say the interim payment should be just over 7.9 million pounds.

The other high-profile figures behind the case were Doreen Lawrence, the anti‑racism activist whose son Stephen was stabbed to death in 1993 as he waited for a bus; Elton John's film producer husband David Furnish; actors Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley; and politician Simon Hughes.

The judgment comes two days after it was made public that Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are moving back to the U.K. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who are no longer working royals, decamped to California more than six years ago but will relocate back later this month to live in a nonroyal residence outside London.

Harry's defeat against Associated Newspapers brought an end to a trio of lawsuits accusing tabloid publishers of using unlawful tactics, such as phone hacking or hiring private detectives to dig up dirt on his life.

Harry won a judgment in 2023 that condemned the publishers of the Daily Mirror for “widespread and habitual” phone hacking. Last year, Rupert Murdoch’s flagship U.K. tabloid, The Sun, made an unprecedented apology for intruding on his life for years and agreed to pay substantial damages to settle his privacy invasion lawsuit.

Harry has said his litigation — in which he broke with royal family tradition to seek relief in the courts — was a primary source of his falling out with his father, King Charles III, and brother Prince William.

His grudge with the tabloids runs deep and his legal actions are part of his larger quest to reform the news media that he says damaged his relationships and made him “ paranoid beyond belief.”

He blames the press for the death of his mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a car crash in 1997 while being pursued by paparazzi in Paris, and for attacks on his wife, Meghan, that led the couple to abandon royal life and move to the United States in 2020.

Britain's Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, speaks at a roundtable about support for veterans, Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Britain's Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, speaks at a roundtable about support for veterans, Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

NEEDHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug 21, 2026--

SharkNinja Inc. (NYSE: SN), a global product design and technology company, is launching four Ninja ® SLUSHi ® Twist x Practical Magic 2 colorways in custom packaging to celebrate the film's September 10, 2026, release in theaters. In the sequel, the original Ninja SLUSHi helps the Owens sisters reinvent their legendary "Midnight Margaritas." To celebrate the partnership, Ninja is bringing that moment beyond the screen, reimagining the iconic scene and giving fans a new way to experience the magic at home with the exclusive SLUSHi Twist collection.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20260821477595/en/

The Ninja SLUSHi Twist x Practical Magic 2 collection includes four colorway options:

Each color features custom film packaging and the product’s signature Dual SlushAssist™ Technology, blending two distinct frozen flavors into one perfectly magical creation. Available on SharkNinja.com, the collection showcases the innovative design and performance that made the Ninja SLUSHi Twist a beloved kitchen essential and viral sensation.

“The strongest brand partnerships tap into fandom to spark conversation, build buzz and become part of culture,” said Michelle Crossan-Matos, Chief Brand & Experience Officer, SharkNinja. “Our partnership with Practical Magic 2 brings together a beloved cultural phenomenon with the breakthrough innovation consumers expect from SharkNinja. By bringing the Ninja SLUSHi into the world of the film, we’re giving fans an unexpected way to bring a little of that magic home—creating a moment where innovation, entertainment and fandom come together in a way that gets people talking.”

SharkNinja has developed a custom visual recipe guide, including Practical Magic 2 -themed beverage recipes optimized for the Ninja SLUSHi Twist.

About SharkNinja

SharkNinja is a global product design and technology company, with a diversified portfolio of 5-star rated lifestyle solutions that positively impact people’s lives in homes around the world. Powered by two trusted, global brands, Shark and Ninja, the company has a proven track record of bringing disruptive innovation to market and developing one consumer product after another has allowed SharkNinja to enter multiple product categories, driving significant growth and market share gains. Headquartered in Needham, Massachusetts with more than 4,100 associates, the company’s products are sold at key retailers, online and offline, and through distributors around the world. For more information, please visit sharkninja.com.

About Practical Magic 2

Starring Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman, PRACTICAL MAGIC 2 returns to a world steeped in moonlit mischief and powerful ancestral magic, as the Owens sisters must confront the dark curse that threatens to unravel their family once and for all in a must-see cinematic event of fun, magic and mayhem. Also starring are Joey King, Lee Pace, Maisie Williams, Xolo Maridueña, Solly McLeod, with Dianne Wiest, and Stockard Channing. Susanne Bier directs from a screenplay by Akiva Goldsman and Georgia Pritchett and Kelly Marcel, based on the novel entitled The Book of Magic by Alice Hoffman. It is produced by Denise Di Novi, Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. The executive producers are Donald Sabourin, Andrew A. Kosove and Broderick Johnson. Warner Bros. Pictures Presents, In Association with Alcon Entertainment, A Di Novi Pictures / A Fortis Films / A Blossom Films Production, A Susanne Bier Film: PRACTICAL MAGIC 2. The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, only in theaters in North America on September 10, 2026.

Ninja SLUSHi Twist x Practical Magic 2 Collection

Ninja SLUSHi Twist x Practical Magic 2 Collection

Recommended Articles