Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Man City agrees to club-record sale of Savinho to Tottenham in $115M deal, AP source says

Sport

Man City agrees to club-record sale of Savinho to Tottenham in $115M deal, AP source says
Sport

Sport

Man City agrees to club-record sale of Savinho to Tottenham in $115M deal, AP source says

2026-08-21 17:28 Last Updated At:17:30

Manchester City is making another major sale after reaching an agreement with Tottenham for the transfer of Brazil winger Savinho.

The clubs have agreed to a deal for Savinho worth 85 million pounds ($115 million), making it a club-record sale for City, a person with knowledge of the transaction confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the details of the deal have not been made public.

Neither City nor Tottenham have made any official comment about the transfer.

The imminent departure of Savinho comes days after City sold Spain captain Rodri to Barcelona a deal worth 76.5 million euros ($88.5 million).

City has also sold midfielder Tijjani Reijnders, defender Nathan Ake and released John Stones and Bernardo Silva this offseason, with the only senior outfield addition being England midfielder Elliot Anderson for a reported club-record fee of 116 million pounds ($155 million).

It means City — swatted aside 3-0 by Arsenal in the Community Shield on Sunday — is likely to be busy in the final week of the summer transfer window as Enzo Maresca, the recently hired coach following the departure of Pep Guardiola, reshapes the squad for a new era.

Savinho joined City in 2024 to much fanfare and for 40 million euros ($43.6 million) from sister club Troyes after a successful loan spell at Girona — another team in the City-led umbrella organization. But he didn't live up to his billing as a potential star of the future.

He scored two goals in 53 Premier League appearances, with his final ball and decision-making often a frustration for teammates and fans alike.

Savinho didn't make Brazil's squad for this year's World Cup.

It would be yet another expensive signing for Tottenham, which brought in Italy midfielder Sandro Tonali from Newcastle last month for a reported club-record fee of 100 million pounds ($133 million) just a few days after purchasing midfielder Mateus Fernandes from West Ham for 85 million pounds ($113 million).

Center backs Jan Paul van Hecke and Marco Senesi have also joined along with former Liverpool left back Andy Robertson, as Tottenham manager Roberto De Zerbi rebuilds a team that escaped relegation from the Premier League on the final day of last season.

If Savinho joins, Spurs will be rivaling Chelsea as the biggest spender in Europe this offseason — a reversal in policy for a club that has long trailed its fellow Premier League giants in terms of outlay of players.

Two straight 17th-place finishes — one spot above the relegation zone — appears to have spooked the leadership at Tottenham, with chairman Peter Charrington writing in an open letter after last season that “football success had not been driving our decisions.”

See AP’s full soccer coverage here

Manchester City's Savinho, center, battles for the ball with Atletico Madrid's Dani Martinez, left, and Obed Vargas during the preseason friendly soccer match between Manchester City and Atletico Madrid in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Aug. 9, 2026. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)

Manchester City's Savinho, center, battles for the ball with Atletico Madrid's Dani Martinez, left, and Obed Vargas during the preseason friendly soccer match between Manchester City and Atletico Madrid in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Aug. 9, 2026. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man)

SEVILLE, Spain (AP) — Real Betis strengthened its attack for a first Champions League campaign in 21 years by signing Ireland forward Troy Parrott, whose five goals in two World Cup qualifying games lifted his country into an unlikely playoffs spot.

Parrott signed a five-year deal after joining from Dutch club AZ Alkmaar, Betis said in a statement late Thursday.

The transfer fee for the 24-year-old former Tottenham player was reportedly 16 million euros ($18.8 million).

Parrott scored 31 goals for AZ last season and made headlines with stunning back-to-back games for Ireland in November.

Needing to win both games to reach the World Cup playoffs, Parrott scored twice in a 2-0 home win over Portugal then a hat trick in a 3-2 win at Hungary capped by the winner deep into stoppage time.

The goal and team celebration instantly entered Irish soccer lore and Dublin Airport posted a social media meme changing its name to “Troy Parrott Airport.”

Parrott also scored in the playoffs semifinal in March when Ireland wasted a two-goal lead in Prague before losing a penalty shootout to the Czech Republic.

Betis, which plays in Irish green and white, placed fifth in La Liga last season to claim the Champions League entry awarded to Spain as a bonus because of its clubs’ overall record in the three UEFA competitions.

The team now coached by Manuel Pellegrini last played in the Champions League in 2005-06, placing third in a group with Liverpool, Chelsea and Anderlecht.

The 36-team league phase draw is made in Monaco next Thursday.

See AP’s full soccer coverage here

FILE -Ireland's Troy Parrott, right, celebrates after scoring his side's third goal during the World Cup 2026 group F qualifying soccer match between Hungary and Ireland in Budapest, Hungary, Nov. 16, 2025. (AP Photo/Denes Erdos, File)

FILE -Ireland's Troy Parrott, right, celebrates after scoring his side's third goal during the World Cup 2026 group F qualifying soccer match between Hungary and Ireland in Budapest, Hungary, Nov. 16, 2025. (AP Photo/Denes Erdos, File)

Recommended Articles