Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said in a social media post on Friday that the "crushing economic operation" threatened by the United States against Iran is doomed to fail, just like previous sanctions had failed.
"14 years ago: 'Most crippling sanctions in history.' Failed. 8 years ago: 'Maximum pressure.' Failed. 5 months ago: 'Unconditional surrender.' Failed. Today: 'Most crushing economic operation ever.' Bound to fail," Araghchi posted on social media platform X.
The remarks came after U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday "the most crushing economic operation ever taken" against any country providing a lifeline to Iran.
"This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale," Trump posted on Truth Social, calling the move "an ECONOMIC D-DAY."
On June 18, the United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on ending the war in the region on all fronts, including Lebanon. Under the MoU, they were scheduled to hold negotiations within a period of 60 days, which ended on Monday, to reach a final agreement, but the talks' fate remains unclear following the escalation between the two countries last month.
Iran's FM says Washington's anti-Tehran economic operation doomed to fail
