Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Iran’s parliament speaker calls for plan to overcome 'unjust' US sanctions

China

China

China

Iran’s parliament speaker calls for plan to overcome 'unjust' US sanctions

2026-08-22 01:13 Last Updated At:09:17

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said on Friday that the country must plan to overcome "unjust sanctions" in response to new economic and trade restrictions imposed by the United States, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

Qalibaf made his remarks during an official visit to Iraq. He said the U.S. and Israel, realizing they cannot defeat Iran and Iraq militarily, have turned to psychological and economic warfare.

The parliament speaker said Iraq and Iran will stand against arrogance, adding that this path will continue.

Qalibaf warned that any attempt to create division between the two countries would only bring them closer.

He said Iran and Iraq have managed to establish security in their countries, adding that through their shared resolve, they will not allow other countries to decide their fate.

U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday that the U.S. will impose "unprecedented" economic warfare and isolation on Iran, after months without a decisive military outcome or diplomatic progress.

Calling it "an Economic D-Day," Trump said in a post on Truth Social that the move will be "the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country."

He warned that any countries providing a "lifeline" to Iran will face tremendous economic consequences, urging allies to stand with the U.S. to "isolate, and defeat, the Iran threat."

Iran’s parliament speaker calls for plan to overcome 'unjust' US sanctions

Iran’s parliament speaker calls for plan to overcome 'unjust' US sanctions

Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said in a social media post on Friday that the "crushing economic operation" threatened by the United States against Iran is doomed to fail, just like previous sanctions had failed.

"14 years ago: 'Most crippling sanctions in history.' Failed. 8 years ago: 'Maximum pressure.' Failed. 5 months ago: 'Unconditional surrender.' Failed. Today: 'Most crushing economic operation ever.' Bound to fail," Araghchi posted on social media platform X.

The remarks came after U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday "the most crushing economic operation ever taken" against any country providing a lifeline to Iran.

"This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale," Trump posted on Truth Social, calling the move "an ECONOMIC D-DAY."

On June 18, the United States and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on ending the war in the region on all fronts, including Lebanon. Under the MoU, they were scheduled to hold negotiations within a period of 60 days, which ended on Monday, to reach a final agreement, but the talks' fate remains unclear following the escalation between the two countries last month.

Iran's FM says Washington's anti-Tehran economic operation doomed to fail

Iran's FM says Washington's anti-Tehran economic operation doomed to fail

Recommended Articles