Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

US to pay 725 million dollars in overdue UN arrears

China

China

China

US to pay 725 million dollars in overdue UN arrears

2026-08-22 17:31 Last Updated At:18:07

The Trump administration has initiated procedures to pay 725 million U.S. dollars toward U.S. arrears owed to the United Nations, according to a State Department notification to Congress on Thursday.

The payment is expected to be completed before President Trump travels to New York next month to attend the UN General Assembly and deliver an address.

However, the 725 million U.S. dollars represents less than 20 percent of the total amount the United States owes.

In May, the United Nations said U.S. arrears exceeded 4 billion U.S. dollars. The U.S. side maintains that the actual total is lower than that figure.

Under the UN Charter, a member state may lose its voting rights in the General Assembly if its arrears equal or exceed the total assessments due for the preceding two years.

The United States is the largest contributor to the UN budget. The Trump administration had previously refused to pay some mandatory assessments for the UN regular budget and peacekeeping budget, cut voluntary funding to multiple UN agencies, and withdrawn from several international organizations.

US to pay 725 million dollars in overdue UN arrears

US to pay 725 million dollars in overdue UN arrears

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday demanded that Israel immediately halt its new illegal settlement plan in the occupied West Bank, known as the E1 settlement plan, according to Palestinian news agency WAFA on the day.

Abbas said the Israeli E1 settlement will isolate East Jerusalem and fracture Palestinian territory, violating international law, including UN Security Council Resolution 2334.

The UN resolution has deemed Israeli settlements in the West Bank illegal and a major obstacle to the two-state solution.

Abbas said the Israeli settlement jeopardizes the establishment of a future independent Palestinian state. He urged the international community to translate diplomatic statements into concrete actions to prevent such settlements and to support the two-state solution.

Israel on Tuesday advanced plans for the illegal E1 settlement project in the West Bank, publishing a tender for 1,234 housing units.

The tender, published online by the Ministry of Construction and Housing, covers part of a wider plan for 3,401 housing units in E1, an area east of Jerusalem.

Palestinian president demands Israel stop new illegal settlement plan

Palestinian president demands Israel stop new illegal settlement plan

Recommended Articles