Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Former WTO judge hails dispute settlement system as organization's greatest function

China

China

China

Former WTO judge hails dispute settlement system as organization's greatest function

2024-12-28 17:51 Last Updated At:12-29 00:37

A former World Trade Organization (WTO) judge has praised the WTO's dispute settlement system as its most successful function, emphasizing its crucial role in maintaining the rules-based multilateral trading system.

Zhang Yuejiao is the first Chinese national to serve as a member and chairman of the Appellate Body of the WTO Dispute Settlement Mechanism during 2008-2016.

As the WTO marks its 30th anniversary, Zhang shared her positive assessment of the WTO's impact, in an exclusive interview with China Global Television Network (CGTN).

"We are all happy with this moment, because it's very significant for international trade and for international rule of law, and for the standard of living of people increased for the last 30 years. We saw the development closely. And even when working in the WTO, we saw how hard people were working to achieve this great achievement," she said.

Zhang stressed that the dispute settlement system of the WTO is its most successful function and a key component of the organization's rule-based framework.

"The dispute settlement system of the WTO is the most successful function of the WTO. The dispute settlement is the rule of law in international trade. And for the enforcement of the implementation of the WTO obligations, rights, and the WTO-covered agreement to support the rule-based multilateral trading system is critical," Zhang said.

Meanwhile, Zhang said, China has been playing an important role since it joined the WTO, stressing the nation's dedicated adherence to international obligations, commitment to upholding international law, and respect for the rule of law in all fields.

"China is doing an excellent job in that field. China has implemented all decisions made by the DSB [Dispute Settlement Body] and even, for instance, in the case of the copyright issue, China's National People's Congress has modified and changed one provision – article four, in order to keep China's copyright law fully consistent with the WTO-covered agreement. So, no country else can do this. China is really observing its international obligations and respects public international law and respects the rule of law in all fields," she added.

Former WTO judge hails dispute settlement system as organization's greatest function

Former WTO judge hails dispute settlement system as organization's greatest function

Uganda on Thursday announced the temporary suspension of flights to and from the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) following an outbreak of Ebola Bundibugyo virus disease that has killed dozens of people.

Diana Atwine, permanent secretary at the Ministry of Health, said in a statement issued in Kampala that the National Task Force (NTF), chaired by Uganda's Vice President Jessica Alupo, had resolved to suspend all flights between Uganda and the DRC, with the measure taking effect within 48 hours.

The move follows the detection last week of two imported Ebola cases in Kampala, the Ugandan capital.

A 59-year-old Congolese man died from the virus at Kibuli Muslim Hospital in Kampala, while the other patient remains in isolation at Mulago National Referral Hospital. A total of 127 contacts have been identified and are in institutional quarantine.

According to Atwine, the government has also temporarily suspended public passenger ferry services on the Semuliki River, cross-border bus operations and all public passenger transport between Uganda and the DRC for the next four weeks, while allowing the continued movement of goods and food supplies.

According to the ministry, weekly markets in border sub-counties across high-risk districts have also been suspended for four weeks.

The NTF has activated a series of preparedness and response measures, including the suspension of cultural celebrations and commemorative events that draw large crowds along the Uganda-DRC border.

Over the past 24 hours, health authorities in the DRC and the World Health Organization have reported a worsening outbreak across the central African nation, with around 600 suspected cases and 139 probable deaths recorded since the outbreak was officially declared on May 15.

Uganda suspends DRC flights amid efforts to prevent Ebola outbreak spillover

Uganda suspends DRC flights amid efforts to prevent Ebola outbreak spillover

Recommended Articles