Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Yemen faces health crisis as war cripples medical system

China

China

China

Yemen faces health crisis as war cripples medical system

2025-02-04 21:17 Last Updated At:21:37

War has devastated the healthcare system in Yemen, a country now facing a protracted political, humanitarian and developmental crisis, leaving thousands of cancer patients without a proper diagnosis or care.

From the small village of Al-Mahwit to the Cancer Center in Sanaa, Ahmed Al-Hijari traveled to the Yemeni capital with hopes for his son Hussein, who is battling nerve cancer.

But Ahmed's struggle is not just against the disease. He also faces the challenges of war and sanctions, which have made finding medicine difficult.

"My son has been sick for about two months, and our situation is very difficult. I came from Al-Mahwit to seek treatment for my son. Because of the war, there's no medicine and we need to travel abroad for treatment, but our circumstances are tough," said Ahmed Al-Hijari.

While the world marks the World Cancer Day on Feb 4 by raising awareness and improving prevention and the search for a cure, around 80,000 people in Yemen are suffering from the disease.

Each year, 30,000 new cases are recorded, largely due to the consequences of the ongoing war since 2014 in which internationally banned weapons have been used.

As the world works to improve methods of treatment, Yemen's healthcare system faces major challenges. The situation has been made worse by current U.S. sanctions, following the reclassification of the Houthis, a Yemen-based militant group, as a "Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO)" last month. This recent reclassification is expected to worsen conditions, leading to new obstacles to the delivery of medical supplies and threatening the lives of thousands of patients.

"Any restrictions on the operation of companies or on the arrival of safe medicine in Yemen will directly affect cancer patients and all other patients. Any measures that hinder patients from traveling for treatment will have an extremely severe impact on them," said Abdullah Thawabah, director of National Cancer Center in Sanaa.

Yemen's healthcare sector is on the brink of collapse, with a severe shortage of medicines and essential equipment for cancer treatment such as radioactive materials, including iodine. More than 320,000 patients are unable to travel for treatment due to the closure of the Sanaa airport. The United Nations has warned of an impending health disaster unless immediate aid is provided.

Yemen is still facing a protracted political, humanitarian, and developmental crisis, more than 10 years after the full outbreak of civil conflict marked by the Houthi forces' capture of Sanaa, Yemen's capital, on Sept. 21, 2014.

The latest round of the Gaza conflict and its spillover effect have once again dimmed the prospects for peace in Yemen following the historical reconciliation between Saudi Arabia and Iran in March 2023. As the civil conflict drags on, the Yemeni people are still finding themselves yearning for peace.

Yemen faces health crisis as war cripples medical system

Yemen faces health crisis as war cripples medical system

Stronger international investigations are needed into alleged abuses against women and minors linked to the Jeffrey Epstein case, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said Thursday.

Speaking at a press briefing at UN headquarters in New York, Dujarric was asked about the reported arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, Britain’s ex-prince and King Charles III’s younger brother, on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He has previously been accused of close ties with Epstein and of engaging in sexual activity with an underage female at a property linked to Epstein.

Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal and military titles in October 2025 and moved out of Royal Lodge in February this year, where he had lived for more than two decades. Newly released information also alleges he shared confidential government documents with Epstein.

"That's not for us to get involved in, but as we've said before, there should be increased investigations into the abuse of women and girls that we have seen by Mr. Epstein, that spans many different countries and jurisdictions," said Dujarric.

Separately, the U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Accountability said the same day that it plans to conduct closed-door interviews in New York State next week with former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, describing the interviews as related to the ongoing Epstein investigation.

The committee said Hillary Clinton is scheduled to be questioned on Feb 26, with Bill Clinton set to follow on Feb 27.

On Dec 19 last year, the U.S. Department of Justice began publishing Epstein-related documents on its website. The documents make numerous references to former President Clinton. The Clintons have said they were unaware of Epstein's criminal conduct.

A disgraced former financier and one of the most notorious sex offenders in recent decades, Epstein maintained close ties with prominent figures in U.S. political and business circles. He was convicted in 2008 of soliciting prostitution from a minor, arrested again in July 2019 on federal sex trafficking charges, and died in jail the following month, with authorities ruling his death a suicide.

UN spokesperson calls for intensified investigations into Epstein abuses

UN spokesperson calls for intensified investigations into Epstein abuses

Recommended Articles