Days after complaints over the handling of an interview with Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem on “Face the Nation,” CBS News said Friday it would no longer allow editing of its guests' words on the Sunday morning public affairs show.
Noem charged that CBS had “shamefully edited the interview to whitewash the truth” about Kilmar Abrego Garcia, whose mistaken deportation to El Salvador made him a symbol of controversies about President Donald Trump's immigration crackdown. Her interview had been taped in advance.
Going forward, CBS said it would only broadcast live or live-to-tape interviews on the show, meaning guests' statements could not be edited, subject to legal or national security restrictions. CBS said the change was made “in response to audience feedback.”
The network's news division is being watched closely for how it deals with the Trump administration following the FCC's recent approval of its parent company's takeover by Skydance Media. Shortly before Paramount Global's sale to Skydance was given the OK, Paramount paid $16 million to settle a lawsuit from Trump over a “60 Minutes” interview with Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris.
CBS said it had edited four minutes out of its Noem interview for time. On social media, Noem focused on an excised clip where she made a series of unproven accusations about Abrego Garcia, which she said emphasize “the threat he poses to American public safety.”
CBS News noted that the unedited interview was posted on its website and on YouTube, but that didn't stop the complaints.
Like the “60 Minutes” settlement, the policy change opens CBS News to charges that it is capitulating to Trump. During an interview Tuesday with the Daily Caller, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt called “Face the Nation” host Margaret Brennan “stupid.”
The new policy also raises the possibility that “Face the Nation” would allow guests to spread unchecked falsehoods on the program. But Brennan will still be able to fact-check or challenge claims made by interview subjects, said a CBS News employee familiar with the change who spoke under condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss it.
In its announcement, CBS News said the policy will allow for “greater transparency” in interviews.
The case that provoked Trump's lawsuit also involved “Face the Nation.” The president accused the network of deception because different clips aired on “60 Minutes” and “Face the Nation” last fall showed Harris giving different answers to a question posed by correspondent Bill Whitaker.
David Bauder writes about the intersection of media and entertainment for the AP. Follow him at http://x.com/dbauder and https://bsky.app/profile/dbauder.bsky.social.
Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem speaks during a television interview at the White House, Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
HENDERSON, Nev. (AP) — New Las Vegas Raiders coach Klint Kubiak wasted little time in choosing his offensive and defensive coordinators since being hired less than a week ago.
Raiders defensive line coach and run game coordinator Rob Leonard was officially elevated to defensive coordinator on Sunday, and Seahawks quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko will follow Kubiak from Seattle to be the offensive coordinator.
Kubiak did what the two previous Las Vegas coaches did in selecting a defensive coordinator — look within the staff. Leonard was the defensive line coach the past three seasons and added the title of run game coordinator in 2025 under then-coach Pete Carroll.
Carroll and his predecessor, Antonio Pierce, kept Patrick Graham in charge of the defense upon becoming the Raiders' coach. Graham now is the defensive coordinator with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
In retaining Leonard, Kubiak also could be looking for a way to mend ties with star pass rusher Maxx Crosby. Relations between Crosby and the Raiders became frayed when the organization placed him on injured reserve with a knee injury with two games left last season. Crosby left the team facility upon receiving the news.
Crosby, who underwent surgery last month, said during a recent appearance on “The Herd with Colin Cowherd" that reports he wanted to be traded came from other people and not him. But Crosby, wearing Raiders gear and speaking from the team facility, also did not deny such talk.
As for the 38-year-old Leonard, the Raiders allowed 3.9 yards per rush last season, tied for second in the NFL. They also were third in tackles for loss with 105.
The Raiders were in the middle of the pack in run defense in allowing 116.8 yards per game. But the defense often got worn down because Las Vegas was last in the field in average time of possession at 28:02.
The 37-year-old Janocko will receive a promotion in the move to the Raiders. He and Kubiak were on the Seahawks' staff, with Kubiak serving as the play caller for the Seahawks' Super Bowl-winning team.
Kubiak plans to still call plays, but made a point at his introductory news conference on Tuesday that it's not a one-man operation.
“I’ve never called the game by myself,” Kubiak said. “That’s something we do as a coaching staff together. We plan together. We communicate on game day together — quarterback coach, pass game coordinator, run game coordinator.”
Janocko worked directly with Seahawks quarterback Sam Darnold this past season.
Darnold completed 67.7% of his passes for 4,048 yards with 25 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Drafted third overall by the New York Jets in 2018, Darnold was considered a bust until leading Minnesota to a 14-win season in 2024. Then came another 14-win season with the Seahawks that culminated with Darnold hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.
AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl
FILE - Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko looks on from the sideline during the first half of an NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, Oct. 12, 2025, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack, File)
Las Vegas Raiders new head coach Klint Kubiak speaks during an introductory news conference at the NFL football team's training facility Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026, in Henderson, Nev. (AP Photo/Ian Maule)
FILE - Las Vegas Raiders defensive line coach Rob Leonard reviews a play on an NFL Copilot by Microsoft during the first half of an NFL football game against the Houston Texans, Dec. 21, 2025, in Houston. (AP Photo/Maria Lysaker, File)