The politicians from Malaysia and Germany on Sunday expressed their concern about the U.S. attack on Venezuela.
Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said on his social media that whatever the reasons, the forcible removal of a sitting head of government through external action sets a dangerous precedent. He added that it eroded fundamental restraints on the use of power between states and weakens the legal framework that underpins international order.
"Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife were seized in a United States military operation of unusual scope and nature, which constitutes a clear violation of international law and amount to an unlawful use of force against a sovereign state," he added.
Ibrahim said President Maduro and his wife must be released without any undue delay.
"Malaysia regards respect for international law and sovereignty as paramount to peaceful relations between states," he emphasized.
German Vice Chancellor and Finance Minister Lars Klingbeil said on Sunday that U.S. intervention in Venezuela was "very worrying," calling for upholding international law.
"International law must be respected. That also applies to the actions of the U.S.," Klingbeil was quoted by German news agency DPA as saying.
Klingbeil, who also serves as co-leader of Germany's ruling Social Democratic Party (SPD), stressed the need to prevent any further escalation.
He called on all parties to "find the path to a peaceful transition to democracy in Venezuela," adding that the Venezuelan people must be able to decide their own future.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said on his social media on Saturday that the legal assessment of the U.S. intervention is complex and requires careful consideration.
Merz said that international law remains the guiding framework.
"At this stage, political instability in Venezuela must be avoided," he added.
Earlier on Saturday, the United States launched a large-scale strike on Venezuela, during which Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife were "captured and flown out of Venezuela," according to a post by U.S. President Donald Trump on his Truth Social account.
Malaysian PM, German Vice Chancellor express concern following U.S. attack on Venezuela
