Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Wife of Uganda's opposition leader describes moment armed men attacked her at home

News

Wife of Uganda's opposition leader describes moment armed men attacked her at home
News

News

Wife of Uganda's opposition leader describes moment armed men attacked her at home

2026-01-25 03:26 Last Updated At:03:30

KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — The wife of Ugandan opposition leader Bobi Wine described on Saturday how armed men forced their way into her home and attacked her as they demanded to know where he was.

Barbara Kyagulanyi, known affectionately as Barbie, told reporters gathered around her hospital bed that she did not cooperate with the dozens of men in military uniform who broke into her home on Friday night. She told them she didn’t know where her husband was — and she refused to unlock her mobile phone despite their demands.

The intruders harassed and insulted her, asking why she had married opposition leader Kyagulanyi Ssentamu — widely known as Bobi Wine — the most prominent of seven candidates who had challenged Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni in last week’s election.

Wine has been in hiding since Museveni was declared the winner of the Jan. 15 presidential polls, with 71.6% of the vote, according to official results. Wine's National Unity Platform party, or NUP, took 24.7% of the vote, a result he has rejected as fake.

Wine, who has called for peaceful protests, recently said he fears for his safety and is sheltering at an unknown location.

There has been a heavy security presence around Wine's home. On Friday night, the couple’s children were not at home and Kyagulanyi was alone in the house, except for a guard at the front gate, when the gunmen forcibly accessed the property.

Kyagulanyi recorded the intruders on her phone. The video, posted on X, shocked many Ugandans. She said from her hospital bed that after she saw the “swarm of men,” she called her brother-in-law and told him, “This is the end.”

Kyagulanyi says two men held her while the rest searched the house. One asked her to unlock her phone. When she refused, he lifted her off the floor and she kicked him, at which point the second man grabbed her, ripping off her pajama top and the buttons.

While this was happening, some of the men “looked away,” and others “were unbothered,” she said.

Later, Kyagulanyi said, a gunman pulled her by the hair and banged her head against a pillar. Four men forced her down and sat on her. She said she passed out and was taken to the hospital at 1 a.m.

At Nsambya Hospital, in the Ugandan capital of Kampala, she was being treated for bruises and anxiety on Saturday.

Kyagulanyi said she has no doubts that Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba — the army chief since 2024 and the president's son — was responsible for the raid, following his repeated threats against her husband on X.

Col. Chris Magezi, a spokesman for the military, did not respond to a request for comment.

Wine's lawyer, Robert Amsterdam, on Friday urged the international community “to demand immediate, verifiable guarantees” of Wine’s safety, citing the army chief's "reckless" threats against the opposition leader even as police say Wine has not committed any crime.

Kainerugaba's tweets on X are often offensive, and he has targeted Wine in recent days, calling him a “baboon” and a “terrorist.” He often deletes his posts later.

Kainerugaba said this week that over 2,000 of Wine’s supporters have been detained since the election. He also said he was operating with the powers of a commander-in-chief of the armed forces, authority vested in the president by law.

David Lewis Rubongoya, secretary-general of Wine's party, said on Saturday that NUP “is under attack,” describing the recent events as a "new phase of persecution.”

“Our leader is in hiding," Rubongoya said. “Several other party leaders are either missing or under arrest.”

Uganda’s election was marred by a dayslong internet shutdown and the failure of biometric voter identification machines that caused delays in the start of voting in areas, including in Kampala. Wine has also alleged that ballot boxes were stuffed in some areas seen as Museveni’s strongholds.

Museveni, who is a long-time U.S. ally on regional security, has accused the opposition of trying to foment violence during the voting.

In a statement on Friday, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Idaho Republican Jim Risch, urged the Trump administration to “reassess the U.S. security relationship with Uganda, beginning with a review of whether sanctions are warranted under existing authorities against specific actors,” including Kainerugaba.

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has urged “restraint by all actors and respect for the rule of law and Uganda’s international human rights obligations.”

Ugandan security forces were a constant presence throughout the election campaign.

Wine said that authorities followed him and harassed his supporters, often using tear gas against them. He campaigned in a flak jacket and helmet for protection.

Museveni, 81, will now serve a seventh term that would bring him closer to five decades in power. His supporters credit him for the relative peace and stability that has made Uganda home to hundreds of thousands fleeing violence elsewhere in this part of Africa.

Follow AP’s Africa coverage at: https://apnews.com/hub/africa

Uganda opposition presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, famously known as Bobi Wine of the National Unity Platform (NUP), arrives with his wife to cast their votes, during the presidential election at a polling station, in Kampala, Uganda, Thursday, Jan. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Brian Inganga)

Uganda opposition presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, famously known as Bobi Wine of the National Unity Platform (NUP), arrives with his wife to cast their votes, during the presidential election at a polling station, in Kampala, Uganda, Thursday, Jan. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Brian Inganga)

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — The U.S. military conducted a rapid response exercise involving Marines and military aircraft in Venezuela’s capital Saturday, over four months after the ouster of then-President Nicolás Maduro.

Two Marine Corps Osprey aircraft, which have characteristics of both a helicopter and a fixed-wing airplane, flew over the recently reopened U.S. Embassy in Caracas. They landed in the parking lot with the downdraft blowing tree branches. Forces then descended from the aircraft.

“Ensuring the military’s rapid response capability is a key component of mission readiness, both here in Venezuela and around the world,” the embassy said on Instagram.

Venezuela’s government had announced the drill earlier this week. Foreign Minister Yván Gil said the U.S. would conduct the exercise to prepare “in the event of medical emergencies or catastrophic emergencies.”

The drill comes almost two months after the U.S. formally reopened its embassy in Caracas. The reopening followed the restoration of full diplomatic relations with the South American country after Maduro 's ouster in early January.

Some Caracas residents Saturday gathered near the embassy to watch the aircraft, while a few dozen others gathered elsewhere in the city to protest the exercise. Protesters held a Venezuelan flag with the message “No to the Yankee drill” written over it.

U.S. military aircraft last flew over Caracas on Jan. 3, when elite forces rappelled down from helicopters and captured Maduro and his wife. Both were taken to New York to face drug trafficking charges. They have pleaded not guilty.

U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

A soldier looks down from a military aircraft as the U.S. Embassy holds an emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

A soldier looks down from a military aircraft as the U.S. Embassy holds an emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

U.S. Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

Recommended Articles