Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Japanese rally to protest against PM's push for military expansion

HotTV

HotTV

HotTV

Japanese rally to protest against PM's push for military expansion

2026-02-03 13:19 Last Updated At:02-04 13:00

A group of Japanese people gathered in front of the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo on Monday to voice their opposition to the government's sharp increase in defense spending and its continued push for the construction of a new U.S. military base at Henoko in Okinawa.

The protesters,from different regions and age groups, expressed their strong dissatisfaction with Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi's current security policy and the heavy burden that the military base has imposed on Okinawa.

"I believe that as long as we build the military base, it will lead us toward war. I don't want Okinawa to bear more of the burden," said a protester.

"I feel very ashamed that Japan is involved in exporting military weapons, and I believe it makes people around the world feel scared. I strongly oppose arms exports and the Takaichi administration's attempt to push for war," said another protester.

During a Diet session on Nov.7, 2025, Takaichi said that the Chinese mainland's "use of force on Taiwan" could constitute a "survival-threatening situation" for Japan and implied the possibility of armed intervention in the Taiwan Strait.

The protesters also expressed their concern about the changes in security policies since Takaichi took office in October 2025, believing that related statements and policies made by the current administration are leading Japanese society as a whole toward a more dangerous direction.

"I think Japan is heading into a very dangerous situation after Takaichi took office and made the remarks regarding China-related issues, especially the Taiwan issue, indicating relations between China's Taiwan region and Japan. Meanwhile, the defense spending is also increasing," said another protester.

"In particular, Takaichi's remarks on November 7 last year at the Lower House budget committee meeting, specifically regarding the 'survival-threatening situation,' were, in my opinion, tantamount to an act of aggression against China. Japan's intervention in the Taiwan question is entirely external interference and absolutely should not be undertaken. It constitutes an act of war," said another protester.

"I feel very uneasy. I hope there will be more dialogue and alternative approaches. The defense budget seems to have no upper limit. We should consider more peaceful options instead of escalating tensions," said another protester.

Japanese rally to protest against PM's push for military expansion

Japanese rally to protest against PM's push for military expansion

The Trump administration has initiated procedures to pay 725 million U.S. dollars toward U.S. arrears owed to the United Nations, according to a State Department notification to Congress on Thursday.

The payment is expected to be completed before President Trump travels to New York next month to attend the UN General Assembly and deliver an address.

However, the 725 million U.S. dollars represents less than 20 percent of the total amount the United States owes.

In May, the United Nations said U.S. arrears exceeded 4 billion U.S. dollars. The U.S. side maintains that the actual total is lower than that figure.

Under the UN Charter, a member state may lose its voting rights in the General Assembly if its arrears equal or exceed the total assessments due for the preceding two years.

The United States is the largest contributor to the UN budget. The Trump administration had previously refused to pay some mandatory assessments for the UN regular budget and peacekeeping budget, cut voluntary funding to multiple UN agencies, and withdrawn from several international organizations.

US to pay 725 million dollars in overdue UN arrears

US to pay 725 million dollars in overdue UN arrears

Recommended Articles