Authorities in Morocco have launched a phased return of residents evacuated after severe flooding struck northern provinces last week, shifting from emergency rescue to structured recovery.
Heavy rain and severe flooding have forced more than 150,000 residents to evacuate their homes in northern Morocco, according to the country's Ministry of Interior.
In the hardest-hit areas, authorities have begun organizing the phased return of evacuees after completing safety inspections. More than 20,000 people were displaced at the height of the floods, and officials say residents are being allowed back only after essential services are restored and conditions are declared secure.
"Our measures include clearing flood debris, carrying out sanitation and disinfection campaigns, reopening roads and access routes, and restoring electricity, water, and telecommunications networks. A comprehensive action plan is being prepared to facilitate the gradual and safe restoration of public services," said Rachid El Khalfi, spokesman of the Ministry of Interior.
Affected provinces have been declared disaster zones, unlocking emergency funding for infrastructure repairs and compensation. Authorities have also activated a province-specific plan coordinating transport, safe routes and phased re-entry to ensure an orderly return.
"It must be emphasized that individuals should not travel to the disaster area until local authorities have officially declared it safe through existing communication channels and all necessary conditions have been fully met," said Khalfi.
For many residents, however, returning home marks the beginning of a new struggle.
Lahcen Khouribche fled with his family when rising waters engulfed his neighborhood in Ksar El-Kebir. Now, returning to his hometown, he finds only crumbling walls, destroyed farmland, and empty livestock pens.
"The authorities rescued us from the floods and supported us during the evacuation. We've now returned home safely, but we've lost almost everything. Our house is no longer livable, our farmland is destroyed, and most of our livestock has died. It will be extremely difficult to rebuild our lives under these conditions. And with more rain expected in the spring, we're still worried about what could happen next," said resident Lahcen Khouribche.
The country's meteorological service said rainfall levels in parts of northern Morocco exceeded seasonal averages within days, ending years of drought but exposing vulnerabilities in drainage systems and urban planning.
Morocco starts phased home return for flood victims
American singer John Legend expressed his astonishment at the scale and quality of the China Media Group (CMG)'s 2026 Spring Festival Gala and his honor at being a part of the grand television spectacle which has been recognized as the world's most-watched annual TV show.
The hours-long gala was aired on Monday evening on the eve of the Chinese New Year, with a carefully curated line-up of performances, high-tech special effects, and entertaining variety acts guiding viewers towards the new year -- which this year ushered in the Year of the Horse.
As the clock ticked past midnight on Tuesday, Legend took to the stage to perform his chart-topping hit "All of Me", before teaming up with French actress and singer Helene Rolles to deliver a touching rendition of the main theme song of the classic Disney movie "Beauty and the Beast".
In an exclusive interview with the China Global Television Network (CGTN), Legend said he was delighted to participate in the TV extravaganza.
"Wow, I've been so amazed by all the other artists that I've seen. The dancers, the singers, the performers. It's such a beautiful, festive show and I'm so honored to be a part of it," said Legend.
While China's Spring Festival is the most cherished time for celebrating family reunions and making people-to-people connections, Legend felt the message of love in his hit song 'All of Me' was especially fitting for the occasion, and shared the story behind how the classic 2013 hit was born.
"These songs are all about love, and I think music is really in a lot of ways about celebrating love and celebrating connection and celebrating our shared humanity. And I think it's a great, great way to bring in the new year here in China. I'm doing 'All of Me' at this performance. And no matter where I perform 'All of Me' around the world, people sing along. People feel connected to the song, people have memories associated with the song, whether it's their wedding or their first date or whatever feelings they have about love and relationships, that song has meant a lot to a lot of people all around the world, and it just shows you that deep down, we're all the same," he said.
"I wrote it right before I got married to my wife and she did cry the first time she heard it, and the first time I sang it in front of an audience was at our wedding. And we filmed the music video that same week in Italy during the week of our wedding. And so it will always be really meaningful to me, but I'm grateful that it's so meaningful to other people as well," he added.
In addition to Legend, Irish pop group Westlife also performed during the gala, as they gave an entertaining version of their iconic ballad, "My Love", while veteran U.S. singer Lionel Ritchie was among the other international stars who appeared in an earlier segment.
The Spring Festival, or the Chinese New Year, is the most important traditional holiday for the Chinese people, and watching the Spring Festival Gala, also known as "Chunwan", is a cherished part of the celebrations every year in hundreds of millions of Chinese homes.
Since first being broadcast in 1983, the gala has been recognized by Guinness World Records as the most-watched annual television program on the planet.
US singing star John Legend shares honor at being part of 2026 Spring Festival Gala