Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Upgraded charging network helps Chinese NEV drivers charge faster, travel farther

China

China

China

Upgraded charging network helps Chinese NEV drivers charge faster, travel farther

2026-02-20 02:01 Last Updated At:12:37

China's new energy vehicle (NEV) drivers now have been able to charge their cars more conveniently and drive farther during the ongoing Spring Festival travel rush, thanks to a nationwide update and expansion of the country's charging device network, which also leads to a green travel trend bringing benefits to tourism and hospitality sectors.

Travelers returning home for Chinese New Year reunions or making holiday trips form what is believed to be the biggest annual human migration on the planet - and increasingly that migration is going green.

The Yangchenghu service area in Suzhou City, east China's Jiangsu Province, located at the intersection of the Shanghai–Nanjing and Shanghai–Chengdu expressways, handles over 100,000 vehicles every day during the holiday.

The charging station at the Yangchenghu service area is no longer just for charging; it has been upgraded to include new facilities, including parks and shops, with over 50 brands offering a complete range of dining, retail and cultural experiences. The average time for travelers spend at the service area has increased from 15 to 45 minutes.

"It's quaint and classical, and there are gardens too. Before, I used to just wait in the car while charging. Now, while waiting for it to charge, I can look around and do some shopping. It feels really good," said Zhou, a NEV owner.

According to data from the National Energy Administration, there were around 1.4 million NEV charging sessions during the first three days of the holiday consuming 11.8008 million kilowatt-hours of power a day, a year-on-year increase of 63.05 percent compared to the same period last year.

More than 80 percent of China's towns now have EV charging facilities.

Shiyi Village, located in Beichuan Qiang Autonomous County, Mianyang City, southwest China's Sichuan Province, sits deep in the Qiang mountains at an altitude of 1,200 meters.

During the holiday, it buzzed with vibrant folk activities and a steady stream of self-driving tourists in NEVs.

In the village, 26 charging piles have been built, bringing development dividends to all 23 of its homestays.

"Right next to our home is the village charging station, so it's very convenient for tourists to charge their cars. Our business is getting more and more prosperous because of it," said Chen Yan, owner of a homestay in Shiyi Village.

Ultra-fast charging piles and better coverage of charging stations have made long-distance travel a comfortable reality for NEV drivers, with some chargers able to power some EV models with 200 kilometers of range in just three minutes.

Intelligent services are also continuously being upgraded.

Smart charging platforms have also been developed to deliver power to NEVs, including to those not parked at a charging station.

Upgraded charging network helps Chinese NEV drivers charge faster, travel farther

Upgraded charging network helps Chinese NEV drivers charge faster, travel farther

The Hamas-run Gaza media office said on Thursday that 1,148 Palestinians have crossed the Rafah border crossing in both directions since its reopening earlier this month.

In a brief press statement, the office said that 1,148 travelers passed through the crossing, out of 3,400 who were expected to cross during the same period.

According to the statement, a total of 640 people departed and 508 returned to the Gaza Strip from Feb. 2 through Wednesday. It added that 26 Palestinians were turned back while attempting to leave, without any explanation.

It had been expected that 50 Palestinians, including patients and wounded individuals, would leave Gaza daily, accompanied by two companions, while another 50 would return each day, according to media reports.

On Monday, Hamas accused Israel of a "blatant violation" of the Rafah crossing's operational mechanisms stipulated in the ceasefire agreement.

In a press statement, Hamas said that despite the reopening of the crossing, Israeli authorities continued to violate the agreed mechanisms and subjected returning travelers to physical and psychological mistreatment and harsh interrogations.

The movement added that Israel had failed to adhere to the daily quotas for departures and returns, placing the lives of thousands of patients and wounded individuals in danger due to delays in receiving medical treatment abroad.

The limited operation of the Rafah crossing began on Feb. 2, marking its first partial reopening in more than a year and a half. The move came as part of a preliminary trial phase under a ceasefire agreement brokered by the United States.

Returning travelers and Palestinian factions have accused the Israeli army of restricting their freedom of movement through extensive searches, prolonged questioning, and confiscation of personal belongings. Israeli authorities have not commented on the allegations.

The Rafah crossing has been mostly closed since Israeli forces took control of the area in May 2024, cutting off Gaza from the outside world and exacerbating the humanitarian crisis.

1,148 Palestinians cross reopened Rafah crossing: Gaza media office

1,148 Palestinians cross reopened Rafah crossing: Gaza media office

Recommended Articles