Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Athens screening of Nanjing Massacre film prompts calls for peace

China

China

China

Athens screening of Nanjing Massacre film prompts calls for peace

2026-05-19 17:17 Last Updated At:20:37

The Chinese film 'City of Life and Death,' which depicts the Nanjing Massacre during World War II, was screened in Athens, Greece, on Sunday. Viewers called for worldwide efforts to prevent the tragedy of war from repeating itself and to cherish hard-won peace.

From the perspectives of Chinese military and civilians as well as Japanese soldiers, the film "City of Life and Death" showed the devastation of war on different people after the brutal occupation of Nanjing by Japanese aggressors in 1937.

In Nanjing in eastern China, 300,000 people were killed in just over 40 days when the city fell to Japan during World War II.

"China has a long history and a profound cultural heritage. The Chinese people showed great fighting spirit in the face of aggression. They not only fought for survival but also won the war. They paid a huge price during World War II, suffering a large number of casualties," said Velissarios Kossivakis, director of New Star Art Cinema in Athens.

"We should both learn what we did and what was being done. And this side of the history, Japan tends not to teach us enough," said an audience member from Japan.

The Chinese People's War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression was the first to break out and lasted the longest in the World Anti-Fascist War, resulting in over 35 million Chinese military and civilian casualties.

In the main Eastern theater of the global fight against fascism, China's resistance effort was decisive in defeating Japanese fascism and in supporting other fronts in Europe and Asia, profoundly contributing to the final victory and to world peace.

Athens screening of Nanjing Massacre film prompts calls for peace

Athens screening of Nanjing Massacre film prompts calls for peace

Athens screening of Nanjing Massacre film prompts calls for peace

Athens screening of Nanjing Massacre film prompts calls for peace

Iran's stock market and related financial instruments resumed trading on Tuesday local time after being shuttered for nearly three months, the country's Securities and Exchange Organization announced.

Iran's securities exchange market has been temporarily closed since February 28, when the U.S.-Israeli war against the country erupted. After an 80-day suspension, the stock market and associated financial instruments trading markets reopened.

Hojatollah Saydi, chair of the Securities and Exchange Organization, said more than 500 companies that were able to submit financial reports were cleared to begin trading on the first day, though the shares of some firms hit by the conflict remain suspended.

More than 40 companies, primarily in the chemical and base metal sectors, have yet to resume trading because of war-related damages.

Citing the lingering effects of the war and rising inflation, Saydi acknowledged the challenging backdrop, but remained optimistic.

"Now situation for economy is complicated because of war effects and also the developing inflation that is higher than last year, of course. But fortunately, companies' financial statements and budgets show that, two thirds of them, conditions are good. So, I'm very optimistic about the market, and I hope that we can have a good market, an efficient market, and also a fruitful market, with higher return for investors and also financial institutions," he said.

Iran reopens stock market after 80-day suspension since war erupts

Iran reopens stock market after 80-day suspension since war erupts

Recommended Articles