NEW YORK (AP) — Some lucky New York City residents will soon get a chance to snag cheap seats to this summer’s high-priced World Cup.
Mayor Zohran Mamdani announced Thursday that 1,000 tickets costing $50 will be made available to residents of the city of more than 8 million for the most watched sporting event in the world.
Click to Gallery
New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani makes a World Cup soccer announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani is passed a replica World Cup Trophy by Ezequiel Cecchi, 49, after making a World Cup soccer tournament announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani, center, joined by, from left, United States soccer star Tim Weah NYC World Cup Czar Maya Handa, and New York council member Yusef Salaam, makes a World Cup soccer tournament announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
People listen as New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani makes a World Cup soccer tournament announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani, alongside NYC World Cup Czar Maya Handa, NYC World Cup Czar, left, and New York council member Yusef Salaam, makes a World Cup soccer tournament announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
“To put that into perspective, that is five lattes in New York City,” Mamdani quipped from a bar in Harlem’s Little Senegal neighborhood alongside U.S. men’s national team forward Timothy Weah.
About 150 tickets per game will be made available for seven of the eight matches played at the roughly 82,000-seat MetLife Stadium, located across the river from Manhattan in New Jersey. The lone exception is the high demand July 19 final, where some seats now cost nearly $33,000.
The tickets will also include free roundtrip bus transportation to the stadium for the ticket holders, the mayor said. They will be distributed via a lottery starting May 25.
To prevent scalping, Mamdani said the city would be taking steps to ensure the ones they distribute go to New York City residents and are not resold on the secondary market.
He said the tickets will be non-transferrable and that there will be a “variety of ways” city officials will verify residency. They’ll also only be handed out directly to the fans as they board the bus on game day.
“We are making sure that working people will not be priced out of the game that they helped to create,” Mamdani said.
The Democrat, who took office in January, said the effort underscores how his administration is not simply focused on making everyday things like housing and groceries more affordable.
“It extends to making it possible for every New Yorker to take part in the things that make us human,” he said.
During his campaign, Mamdani had called on FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, to make it cheaper for New Yorkers to attend the games by setting aside 15% of tickets at discounted prices for residents. He'd also launched a petition calling on FIFA to reverse its plan to set ticket prices based on demand.
The $50 tickets don't come directly from FIFA, but from those allotted to New York and New Jersey’s joint host committee for the games, according to the mayor's office.
Previously, FIFA had made some $60 tickets available for every game at the tournament in North America after facing backlash for the exorbitant prices for tickets.
Those reduced price tickets, though, went to the national federations of the teams playing in the games, with those federations deciding how to distribute them to loyal fans who have attended previous games at home and on the road.
Besides the championship game, the home stadium for both the NFL’s New York Giants and New York Jets is set to host five group World Cup matches and two knockout stage games. Group stage matches for soccer powerhouses Brazil, France, Germany and England, along with other nations, begin June 13.
Follow Philip Marcelo at https://x.com/philmarcelo
New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani makes a World Cup soccer announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani is passed a replica World Cup Trophy by Ezequiel Cecchi, 49, after making a World Cup soccer tournament announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani, center, joined by, from left, United States soccer star Tim Weah NYC World Cup Czar Maya Handa, and New York council member Yusef Salaam, makes a World Cup soccer tournament announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
People listen as New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani makes a World Cup soccer tournament announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani, alongside NYC World Cup Czar Maya Handa, NYC World Cup Czar, left, and New York council member Yusef Salaam, makes a World Cup soccer tournament announcement at Harlem Tavern, Thursday, May 21, 2026 in New York. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Federal officials on Thursday gave final approval for the Dakota Access oil pipeline to continue operating its contentious Missouri River crossing, an outcome that comes nearly a decade after boisterous protests against the project on the North Dakota prairie.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ decision to grant the key easement means the pipeline will keep operating but with added conditions for detecting leaks and monitoring groundwater, among others. The announcement brings an end to a drawn-out legal and regulatory saga stemming from the protests in 2016 and 2017, though further litigation over the pipeline is likely.
The $3.8 billion, multistate pipeline has been transporting oil since June 2017 from North Dakota’s Bakken oil field to a terminal in Illinois. The line carries about 4% of U.S. daily oil production, or roughly 540,000 barrels per day,
The Corps is “decisively putting years of delays to rest and moving out to safely execute this crossing beneath Lake Oahe," Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works Adam Telle said in a statement.
The pipeline crosses the river upstream from the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s reservation, which straddles the Dakotas. The tribe has long opposed the pipeline, fearing a spill and contamination of its water supply. In 2016 and 2017, thousands of people camped and protested for months near the river crossing.
The protests resulted in hundreds of arrests and related criminal cases and lawsuits, some of them still ongoing, including litigation that threatens the future of the environmental group Greenpeace.
In December, the Corps released its final environmental impact statement nearly six years after a federal judge ordered a more rigorous review of the pipeline's crossing. In that document, the Corps endorsed the option to grant the easement for the crossing and keep the pipeline operating with modifications.
Those measures include enhanced leak detection and monitoring systems, expanded groundwater and surface water monitoring and third-party expert evaluation of the leak and detection systems, among others, the Corps said. The conditions also include water supply contingency planning and other studies coordinated with affected tribes.
The Corps had weighed several options, including removing or abandoning the pipeline's river crossing or even rerouting it north. The agency said its decision “best balances public safety, protection of environmental resources, and leak detection and response considerations while meeting the project’s purpose and need.”
Pipeline developer Energy Transfer hailed the decision, saying the pipeline has been safely operating for nearly 10 years and is critical to the country’s energy infrastructure.
“We want to thank the Corps for the tremendous amount of time and effort put in by so many to bring this matter to a thoughtful close,” said Vicki Granado, a company spokesperson.
The Associated Press sent text messages and emails to media representatives for the tribe and left a voicemail at the tribe's headquarters. They didn't immediately respond Thursday.
North Dakota Republican Gov. Kelly Armstrong, Interior Secretary and former North Dakota governor Doug Burgum and U.S. Senators John Hoeven and Kevin Cramer each welcomed the decision to ensure the pipeline continues operating.
The Corps' announcement came as officials and oil industry leaders were gathered for a trade conference in Bismarck.
Energy Transfer and Enbridge are in early stages of a project to move about 250,000 daily barrels of light Canadian crude oil through the Dakota Access Pipeline by using another pipeline and building a 56-mile connecting line, spokespersons for the companies said. Enbridge will decide sometime in mid-2026 whether to move ahead.
FILE - A sign for the Dakota Access Pipeline is seen north of Cannonball, N.D. and the Standing Rock Reservation on May 20, 2021. (AP Photo/Matthew Brown, File)