A total of 82 people have been confirmed dead while two others remained missing after a coal mine gas explosion in north China's Shanxi Province on Friday, officials said at a press conference on Saturday.
Another 128 people were receiving treatment in hospitals, including two in critical condition and two in serious condition.
"A gas explosion hit the Liushenyu coal mine, owned by Tongzhou Group, in Qinyuan County at 19:29 on Friday, with 247 people working underground at the time. As of the press conference, 82 people had been confirmed dead, and two remained missing. The search and rescue have been underway. Another 128 people were injured and hospitalized, while 35 were uninjured and had returned home," said Chen Xiangyang, mayor of Changzhi City, which administers Qinyuan.
Officials at the press conference attributed the initial inaccurate figures to chaos at the scene and the company's failure to provide the accurate headcount of workers on duty.
Toxic and harmful gases under the mine shaft have exceeded safe limits for a long time, posing a risk of secondary disasters.
Chen told the press conference that the company involved in the coal mine explosion had been found to have "serious violations of laws and regulations," and that those responsible for the company had been placed under control. The company's coal mines have ceased production for safety overhaul, said Chen.
The cause of the accident is still under investigation, he added.
North China coal mine explosion leaves 82 dead, 2 missing
