Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Belgium looks to avoid fate of fellow European teams in knockout round match against Senegal

Sport

Belgium looks to avoid fate of fellow European teams in knockout round match against Senegal
Sport

Sport

Belgium looks to avoid fate of fellow European teams in knockout round match against Senegal

2026-07-01 10:11 Last Updated At:10:21

SEATTLE (AP) — By advancing to the knockout round atop Group G, Belgium has already improved upon its woeful performance at the World Cup four years ago.

After a historic third-place finish at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Belgium did not advance past the group stage in 2022 in Qatar. With its 5-1 victory over New Zealand on Friday night, Belgium won its group and achieved what coach Rudi Garcia wanted from his club.

More Images
Belgium's Leandro Trossard (10) celebrates his goal against New Zealand with teammates Kevin De Bruyne (7) and Charles De Ketelaere (17) during the first half of a World Cup Group G soccer match, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, June 26, 2026. (Timothy Matwey/The Canadian Press via AP)

Belgium's Leandro Trossard (10) celebrates his goal against New Zealand with teammates Kevin De Bruyne (7) and Charles De Ketelaere (17) during the first half of a World Cup Group G soccer match, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, June 26, 2026. (Timothy Matwey/The Canadian Press via AP)

Senegal head coach Pape Thiaw looks onto the pitch during the World Cup Group I soccer match between Senegal and Iraq in Toronto, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

Senegal head coach Pape Thiaw looks onto the pitch during the World Cup Group I soccer match between Senegal and Iraq in Toronto, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

Belgium's Romelu Lukaku (9) drives towards New Zealand's Francis de Vries (3) during the World Cup Group G soccer match between New Zealand and Belgium in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Kaleb Tatum)

Belgium's Romelu Lukaku (9) drives towards New Zealand's Francis de Vries (3) during the World Cup Group G soccer match between New Zealand and Belgium in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Kaleb Tatum)

Senegal's Sadio Mane (10) plays during the World Cup Group I soccer match between Senegal and Iraq in Toronto, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

Senegal's Sadio Mane (10) plays during the World Cup Group I soccer match between Senegal and Iraq in Toronto, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

Belgium head coach Rudi Garcia talks during a news conference on the eve of the team's World Cup soccer match against New Zealand, Thursday, June 25, 2026 in Vancouver, British Columbia. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)

Belgium head coach Rudi Garcia talks during a news conference on the eve of the team's World Cup soccer match against New Zealand, Thursday, June 25, 2026 in Vancouver, British Columbia. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)

Ahead of Wednesday’s knockout round match against Senegal, Garcia expressed satisfaction with his group’s accomplishments, as well as a desire for more. Belgium won one game and played to two draws in group play.

“We wanted to finish first in the group stage and we succeeded,” Garcia said in French. “Of course we wanted to win more — we know the story of our World Cup so far. Now it is time for the knockout phase. Senegal is a big team. But, you have to beat them, too, if you want to go far in a World Cup.”

For Belgium’s participation in the tournament to be considered a success, it must first get by a Senegal team that finished third in Group I with three points and a plus-2 goal differential. The African team navigated one of the toughest groups in the tournament, one that featured favorite France and the Erling Haaland-led Norway.

“We know it will be a tough match,” Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku said Monday in French. “Senegal has a lot of top-level players, and the coach is, too. I think it’s 50-50. We really shouldn’t underestimate them.”

Given what transpired in the round of 32 shortly after Lukaku’s comments, Belgium would be wise to heed his warning. Germany lost to unheralded Paraguay on penalties while Morocco sent the Netherlands to its earliest World Cup exit on Monday night.

Belgium is aware that even as the odds-on pick to beat Senegal, it must be careful on Wednesday. Otherwise, it could fall victim to the same fate as its European counterparts.

“It doesn’t matter who the favorite is,” said Belgium forward Charles De Ketelaere. “We have confidence and need to be sharp. Yesterday showed that it doesn’t matter if you are the favorite.”

Senegal, meanwhile, hopes it has the offensive firepower to score against stingy Belgium, which has allowed two goals in three games with star goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois in net. Led by Sadio Mane, Senegal is coming off a 5-0 rout of Iraq.

But, Senegal will also be short-handed on the defensive side. Goalkeeper Édouard Mendy, who was injured in a 3-2 loss to Norway in group play, will not be available Wednesday, according to coach Pape Thiaw. Reserve Mory Diaw, who started in Mendy’s place against Iraq, is likely to do so again.

“Mory had a great performance,” Thiaw said in French. “He kept a clean sheet and I think (as) the goalkeeper tomorrow, we hope that we’ll also come up with a clean sheet.”

Even if Senegal has to turn to Diaw, Thiaw is confident his side can pull off an upset, much like both Paraguay and Morocco did Monday.

“It’s not because you finished top of your group that you’re not going to be knocked out in the next round,” Thiaw said. “That’s exactly what happened with the Netherlands. It’s another tournament starting. We are looking for the win tomorrow so that we can continue our journey.”

Center back Zeno Debast, who has not appeared in a World Cup match this summer due to injury, will be available for Wednesday’s match, but is not expected to start, according to Garcia.

Debast participated in his first training session Monday after he had an MRI on Saturday for a left leg injury. He practiced again Tuesday with tape on his left knee.

“Zeno Debast is with the group, but tomorrow is still too soon,” Garcia said. “He is making progress, though. He still needs time to get fully fit, as was anticipated. I am very satisfied with the defenders we have already called upon.”

See more of AP’s World Cup coverage here

Belgium's Leandro Trossard (10) celebrates his goal against New Zealand with teammates Kevin De Bruyne (7) and Charles De Ketelaere (17) during the first half of a World Cup Group G soccer match, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, June 26, 2026. (Timothy Matwey/The Canadian Press via AP)

Belgium's Leandro Trossard (10) celebrates his goal against New Zealand with teammates Kevin De Bruyne (7) and Charles De Ketelaere (17) during the first half of a World Cup Group G soccer match, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, June 26, 2026. (Timothy Matwey/The Canadian Press via AP)

Senegal head coach Pape Thiaw looks onto the pitch during the World Cup Group I soccer match between Senegal and Iraq in Toronto, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

Senegal head coach Pape Thiaw looks onto the pitch during the World Cup Group I soccer match between Senegal and Iraq in Toronto, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

Belgium's Romelu Lukaku (9) drives towards New Zealand's Francis de Vries (3) during the World Cup Group G soccer match between New Zealand and Belgium in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Kaleb Tatum)

Belgium's Romelu Lukaku (9) drives towards New Zealand's Francis de Vries (3) during the World Cup Group G soccer match between New Zealand and Belgium in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Kaleb Tatum)

Senegal's Sadio Mane (10) plays during the World Cup Group I soccer match between Senegal and Iraq in Toronto, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

Senegal's Sadio Mane (10) plays during the World Cup Group I soccer match between Senegal and Iraq in Toronto, Friday, June 26, 2026. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

Belgium head coach Rudi Garcia talks during a news conference on the eve of the team's World Cup soccer match against New Zealand, Thursday, June 25, 2026 in Vancouver, British Columbia. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)

Belgium head coach Rudi Garcia talks during a news conference on the eve of the team's World Cup soccer match against New Zealand, Thursday, June 25, 2026 in Vancouver, British Columbia. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department finalized a rule Monday that will pave the way for people who've been barred from owning firearms because of criminal convictions to apply to have their gun rights reinstated.

The process launched by newly confirmed Attorney General Todd Blanche is a victory for Second Amendment advocates who have long pushed for nonviolent people with felony convictions to be given a pathway to regain their legal right to own firearms.

“The Second Amendment is not a second-class right, and the federal government should not permanently deprive Americans of a constitutional right without regard to whether they pose a danger to public safety,” Blanche said in a statement. The attorney general said the new process will protect “public safety while giving deserving Americans a real path to restoration.”

It’s the latest move by President Donald Trump's administration to ease firearms restrictions. The Justice Department moved earlier this year to roll back and modify a slate of gun regulations. Separately, the department recently decided against challenging a court ruling that struck down regulations on firearm suppressors and certain guns.

Federal law has long allowed people who've had their gun rights stripped because of felony convictions to petition the government for the ability to own firearms again, but Congress since 1992 has effectively barred the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from processing applications.

The Trump administration's rule aims to circumvent that by establishing a new application system using an online portal.

The Justice Department says restoration will be granted on a case-by-case basis, weighing a person's record and reputation to determine whether they pose a likely threat to public safety. Officials say people who have been convicted of violent crimes, registered sex offenders, people living in the country illegally and others whom officials believe pose a danger to society will be denied “absent extraordinary circumstances.”

Kris Brown, the president of Brady, which advocates for stronger gun laws, said her group is still reviewing the administration’s final rule but has stressed the need for a “robust and thoughtful system that minimizes the risk to public safety."

“Yet the Trump administration has consistently shown us they have no such discretion, including by restoring gun rights to convicted domestic abusers and violent January 6 insurrectionists, and by tirelessly rolling back broad policies proven to prevent crime and gun violence,” Brown said in a statement.

Attorney General Todd Blanche listens as President Donald Trump speaks at the David Mack Center for Training and Intelligence, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026, in Garden City, N.Y. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

Attorney General Todd Blanche listens as President Donald Trump speaks at the David Mack Center for Training and Intelligence, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026, in Garden City, N.Y. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

Recommended Articles