Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

China begins weekly Arctic container shipping service to Europe

China

China

China

China begins weekly Arctic container shipping service to Europe

2026-08-16 22:52 Last Updated At:08-17 09:17

China began regular weekly summer container shipping to Europe via Arctic waters on Saturday, offering exporters a seasonal alternative that can cut the journey from Ningbo to the United Kingdom to about 20 days.

The container ship "Dubai Tower", operated by Haijie Shipping, departed Ningbo-Zhoushan Port in east China's Zhejiang Province on Saturday, marking the start of regular weekly operations on the China-Europe Arctic Express following a trial voyage last year.

The service will sail along Russia's Northern Sea Route before calling at ports including Felixstowe in Britain, Rotterdam in the Netherlands, Hamburg in Germany and Gdynia in Poland.

The first voyage is carrying Chinese-made energy-storage units, solar equipment and other high-value, temperature-sensitive goods from manufacturing hubs in the Yangtze River Delta, targeting European peak-season demand.

"Our trials last year showed that we could get from Ningbo to Felixstowe in 20 days, which is almost 20 days faster than traditional routes. The Arctic route also helps protect temperature-sensitive cargo from the extreme summer heat it can face on routes through the Suez Canal or around the Cape of Good Hope. And it helps us avoid congestion, unreliable schedules and higher costs," said Fang Yi, CEO of Haijie Shipping.

The route's commercial appeal lies in shorter transit times and a potential reduction in inventory and delivery risks for exporters. But it is restricted by seasonal ice, with the main navigation window generally running from July to October.

Operators expect to deploy up to eight ice-strengthened vessels on the route this season. The ships will use real-time ice monitoring and adjust their routes to navigate changing weather and ice conditions, according to the company.

China begins weekly Arctic container shipping service to Europe

China begins weekly Arctic container shipping service to Europe

In the immediate aftermath of the devastating 7.5-magnitude earthquake that struck Colombia, Chinese company SANY Heavy Industry deployed heavy machinery and technical teams to support rubble clearance and search-and-rescue operations.

The quake struck cities across western Colombia at 7:34 a.m. local time on Aug. 10, leaving at least 294 people dead, 3,935 injured and 320 missing, according to data released by the National Unit for Disaster Risk Management (UNGRD) on Sunday.

The earthquake toppled buildings and blocked major roads, with the city of Pereira among the hardest-hit areas.

Since the first day of the disaster, Chinese-built excavators and loaders have been working alongside local rescue crews to clear debris and support the search for survivors.

Among the first SANY employees to respond was José Castro, a 42-year-old after-sales manager for SANY Colombia. Based in Bogotá, Castro learned that the airport serving the disaster zone had been damaged and closed. He then drove for seven hours to Pereira to join the relief operations.

"As soon as we learned of the urgent need for heavy equipment in the affected areas, we set out from Bogotá and mobilized technicians from across the country," he said.

Local disaster management officials also highlighted the critical role of Chinese-provided machinery and international assistance in the rescue and recovery efforts.

"Machinery is crucial. Initially, it was used to search for and rescue survivors and recover the bodies of victims. It is also essential for clearing debris. International assistance has been vital to us, and we are deeply grateful for it. We have truly felt the solidarity of the international community," said Diana Ramirez, an official with the Disaster Risk Management Bureau of Risaralda.

Chinese firm assists relief efforts in Colombia after earthquake

Chinese firm assists relief efforts in Colombia after earthquake

Recommended Articles