Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Chinese firm assists relief efforts in Colombia after earthquake

China

Chinese firm assists relief efforts in Colombia after earthquake
China

China

Chinese firm assists relief efforts in Colombia after earthquake

2026-08-17 03:58 Last Updated At:09:37

In the immediate aftermath of the devastating 7.5-magnitude earthquake that struck Colombia, Chinese company SANY Heavy Industry deployed heavy machinery and technical teams to support rubble clearance and search-and-rescue operations.

The quake struck cities across western Colombia at 7:34 a.m. local time on Aug. 10, leaving at least 294 people dead, 3,935 injured and 320 missing, according to data released by the National Unit for Disaster Risk Management (UNGRD) on Sunday.

The earthquake toppled buildings and blocked major roads, with the city of Pereira among the hardest-hit areas.

Since the first day of the disaster, Chinese-built excavators and loaders have been working alongside local rescue crews to clear debris and support the search for survivors.

Among the first SANY employees to respond was José Castro, a 42-year-old after-sales manager for SANY Colombia. Based in Bogotá, Castro learned that the airport serving the disaster zone had been damaged and closed. He then drove for seven hours to Pereira to join the relief operations.

"As soon as we learned of the urgent need for heavy equipment in the affected areas, we set out from Bogotá and mobilized technicians from across the country," he said.

Local disaster management officials also highlighted the critical role of Chinese-provided machinery and international assistance in the rescue and recovery efforts.

"Machinery is crucial. Initially, it was used to search for and rescue survivors and recover the bodies of victims. It is also essential for clearing debris. International assistance has been vital to us, and we are deeply grateful for it. We have truly felt the solidarity of the international community," said Diana Ramirez, an official with the Disaster Risk Management Bureau of Risaralda.

Chinese firm assists relief efforts in Colombia after earthquake

Chinese firm assists relief efforts in Colombia after earthquake

Chief Commander of the Iranian Army Amir Hatami said on Sunday that U.S. forces had been expelled and were no longer permitted to enter the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, or the Strait of Hormuz, Iranian media reported.

Hatami said U.S. military bases in the region could by no means return to their previous state, and Iran will never allow such a situation to happen.

Iran says US forces expelled, barred from Strait of Hormuz

Iran says US forces expelled, barred from Strait of Hormuz

Recommended Articles