Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Colombia quake death toll rises to 304

China

China

China

Colombia quake death toll rises to 304

2026-08-19 10:11 Last Updated At:10:37

The death toll from Colombia's magnitude-7.4 earthquake on Aug. 10 has risen to 304, with 4,548 people injured and 426 missing, the country's disaster management agency said Tuesday.

Colombia's President Abelardo de la Espriella said Monday night that about one-third of the country had been affected by the quake, which was centered in San Jose del Palmar, in the department of Choco.

He said preliminary estimates put direct economic losses from the earthquake at nearly 30 trillion Colombian pesos (about 9.6 billion U.S. dollars), including 24.5 trillion pesos in building damage and 5.5 trillion pesos in infrastructure damage.

"This is a preliminary figure that will be adjusted as we obtain more information," he said.

Humanitarian aid from Colombia and abroad continues to arrive in the hardest-hit areas while search and rescue teams are still working in places where people may remain trapped under rubble.

Colombia quake death toll rises to 304

Colombia quake death toll rises to 304

International oil prices edged higher on Tuesday after U.S. President Donald Trump ruled out any ongoing or future talks with Iran, while Tehran maintained that the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed, fueling concerns over global oil supplies.

The West Texas Intermediate for September delivery went up 44 cents, or 0.52 percent, to settle at 84.94 U.S. dollars a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Brent crude for October delivery gained 15 cents, or 0.17 percent, to settle at 91.02 dollars a barrel on the London ICE Futures Exchange.

Crude futures extend gains after Trump says "no talks" with Iran

Crude futures extend gains after Trump says "no talks" with Iran

Recommended Articles