Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Survivors remain in shelters days after quake in Indonesia

China

Survivors remain in shelters days after quake in Indonesia
China

China

Survivors remain in shelters days after quake in Indonesia

2026-08-19 15:18 Last Updated At:15:47

Thousands of residents remain in temporary shelters days after a powerful earthquake struck Indonesia's Flores Island, uncertain when they can return home.

One of them is Baenah, who was at her shop when the earthquake jolted her hometown.

"When I arrived at the shop early in the morning, the earthquake suddenly struck. Everyone scrambled outside. We immediately ran up the mountain. We were all scared because of the tsunami warning. We ran up with water and a kilogram of rice and made our way to the hills," she said.

The 7.7-magnitude quake struck on August 15, with its epicenter near Mbay in Nagekeo Regency. One of the strongest to hit the area in years, it occurred at a depth of 10 kilometers, causing severe surface damage.

Hundreds of buildings collapsed, roads cracked and communication lines were cut off in several provinces.

Search and rescue teams have been working around the clock to pull survivors from rubble, though their efforts have been hampered by damaged roads and difficult terrain.

"We are entering Day Four of the emergency rescue operations and so far, we do not have any data of missing persons or anyone buried under the rubble, so our focus now is moving from rescue to recovery," said Asfan Dulhasan, head of operations at Maumere Search and Rescue.

Authorities say dozens of aftershocks have rattled the region since the main quake. Some have been powerful enough to frighten residents and keep them from returning home.

At the shelters, volunteers and rescue workers have become the backbone of the relief operation, registering displaced residents, distributing food and providing basic medical assistance.

"As a rescue worker, the past few days have been very tough for all of us. We are going through a lot of mental, physical and emotional challenges, but this is the nature of our work and we will continue to do this for our fellow residents here in Flores," Dulhasan said.

Indonesia's national disaster mitigation agency has declared a 14-day emergency response. Food, water and other basic supplies are being distributed at evacuation sites, but the affected area spans multiple remote regions, making it difficult to reach every family in need.

The death toll from the earthquake has risen to 70, with 132 others injured, authorities said Tuesday.

Survivors remain in shelters days after quake in Indonesia

Survivors remain in shelters days after quake in Indonesia

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠South China's Guangdong Province has seen its robot manufacturers lead the transition from sending out samples for trial use to fulfilling large-scale overseas orders as one of China's major hubs for foreign trade and smart equipment.

Since the start of 2026, domestically built robots have been given a major opportunity to expand on a large scale in global markets.

Notably, a dedicated customs tariff code for cleaning robots took effect in January, marking a significant step toward large-scale exports for the sector.

The momentum has remained strong in the second half of the year, with overseas orders continuing to grow.

The surge in demand is turning domestically built robots into a new growth engine for China's high-end equipment exports.

"Our overseas shipments are performing extremely well right now. Our cleaning robots are particularly popular in Europe, Japan, Republic of Korea, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. We have seen year-on-year doubling of growth compared with last year. We review production plans for the cleaning robots on a weekly and monthly basis, and shipping schedules are fully booked," said Gong Ziyu, head of CVTE's robotics business group.

"Robots can take over high-risk, high-pressure work, sustaining stable demand. Overseas orders are rising steadily, registering around 40 percent year-on-year growth compared with last year," said Huang Jian, executive of Guangdong Lingdu Intel-tech Development Co., Ltd.

Guangdong-made robots see expansion in overseas orders

Guangdong-made robots see expansion in overseas orders

Recommended Articles