Skip to Content Facebook Feature Image

Cologne convinces teenage star Said El Mala to stay and gives him prestigious No. 10

Sport

Cologne convinces teenage star Said El Mala to stay and gives him prestigious No. 10
Sport

Sport

Cologne convinces teenage star Said El Mala to stay and gives him prestigious No. 10

2026-08-21 18:02 Last Updated At:18:10

BERLIN (AP) — Cologne's teenage star Said El Mala is staying at the club after a summer in which he was expected to leave.

The 19-year-old El Mala extended his contract to 2031 and was given the prestigious No. 10 jersey, the club announced late Thursday.

El Mala, who scored 13 goals and set up five more in the Bundesliga last season, had been expected to join league rival Borussia Dortmund, but the move broke down last week with Cologne demanding a transfer fee of around 50 million euros ($58.5 million) for the player.

“We’re delighted that Said is continuing his journey with FC,” Cologne managing director Thomas Kessler said. “He made tremendous progress last season, establishing himself as a key member of our Bundesliga squad and playing a vital role for the team through his performances and goals. It's understandable that this development attracted interest from other clubs.”

Leipzig was also reportedly interested in signing El Mala after his proposed move to Dortmund broke down.

“I feel a huge amount of trust and appreciation here. That’s why I’m staying – I want to have a great season with FC and our fans, and I’ll give it my all, not least because I know what it means to wear the No. 10,” said El Mala, who previously wore No. 13.

El Mala, whose father is Lebanese, has represented Germany at youth level but was omitted from Germany’s World Cup squad despite being called up for qualifiers by then coach Julian Nagelsmann. He remained an unused substitute against Luxembourg in November.

Cologne retired the No. 10 jersey after club favorite Lukas Podolski left for Arsenal in 2012, saying no other player would get the prestigious number while the Germany forward was playing.

The club riled fans by giving it to the returning Patrick Helmes in 2015 though Podolski was still playing. Podolski ultimately ended his career this year, aged 41, after five years at Polish club Górnik Zabrze.

The No. 10 at Cologne is most strongly associated with Wolfgang Overath, who starred for the club from 1963 to 1977.

Other players to wear the No. 10 include Tony Woodcock, Stephan Engels, Pierre Littbarski, Horst Heldt, Olaf Janssen, Claus-Dieter Wollitz, Andriy Voronin, and Thomas Broich.

Cologne is offering to exchange any new jerseys that fans bought with El Mala’s No. 13 for the No. 10. The old jerseys are to be donated “to a charitable cause.”

Cologne on Friday also announced the return of Tunisia midfielder Ellyes Skhiri from Eintracht Frankfurt. The 31-year-old Skhiri will wear No. 6.

See AP’s full soccer coverage here

FILE - Cologne's Said El Mala celebrates after his team scored the 4th goal during the German Bundesliga soccer match between 1. FC Koeln and Hamburger SV in Cologne, Germany, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner, File)

FILE - Cologne's Said El Mala celebrates after his team scored the 4th goal during the German Bundesliga soccer match between 1. FC Koeln and Hamburger SV in Cologne, Germany, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner, File)

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — A charter aircraft carrying eight people crashed at a remote radar site in western Alaska on Thursday, killing all on board, the U.S. military said.

The crash happened near Cape Newenham Long Range Radar Site Airport, approximately 450 miles (725 km) west of Anchorage, Alaska.

“This is a devastating loss for our military family and the communities we serve,” U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Robert Davis, commander of Alaskan Command, the Alaskan North American Aerospace Defense Command Region and Eleventh Air Force, said in a statement.

The radar site is managed by the Pacific Air Forces Regional Support Center. It’s part of a network of remote radar sites that tracks aircraft operating in Alaska’s airspace and along its borders, the statement from Alaskan Command said.

The statement did not provide details on the specific work the individuals were doing. It referred to the plane involved as a “civilian-contracted aircraft.”

Davis described those on board as “dedicated professionals carrying out a vital mission in a demanding environment. Our absolute priority right now is providing unwavering support to their families, friends and teammates during this devastating time. We are profoundly grateful for the swift and tireless response of our search and recovery professionals.”

Clint Johnson, the National Transportation Safety Board’s Alaska region chief, said earlier Thursday evening that two pilots and six passengers were on board.

The plane, a Cessna 441, had taken off from the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport and was headed to Cape Newenham, the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement. The crash happened about 12:15 p.m. Thursday west of Cape Newenham.

FILE - The National Transportation Safety Board logo and signage are seen at a news conference at NTSB headquarters in Washington, Dec. 18, 2017. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

FILE - The National Transportation Safety Board logo and signage are seen at a news conference at NTSB headquarters in Washington, Dec. 18, 2017. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)

Recommended Articles